The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Draw Reins and Side Reins for a BIG Horse

I have a 17+ hand WB mare - nothing I have fits her. Any suggestions for draw reins and side reins for a big girl? I measured mine and think I need to add almost 40 inches to my current draw reins.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have a 16h3' big heavy horse. I have some Nunn Finer side reins (no elastic or donut) that work well with him. There are lots of holes left even when I have them on very loose. Can't remember what brand draw reins I have.

We like the rope draw reins and HDR makes a nice pair for $20 that are VERY long. Too long for most of mine 16-17 hands so I had them shortened. But fantastic on the big guys!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Were you looking for breastplate draw reins or the kind with a loop that fasten to the girth?

You might be able to buy a normal sized set of the kind that fasten through the girth, and have snaps added to use as breastplate draw reins. That might cover the extra length it sounds like you need.

I want them to go to the girth. My breastplate is also too small. Would need to buy an oversized one for that to work.

I feel your pain and am interested to see the responses! I did finally find a cheap pair of side reins that fit my 17.2hh youngster if I put them on the last hole... I would not recommend them, however.
    Y'all ain't right!

I always wonder why...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

KL Select makes extra long draw reins...not sure if they're the girth strap ones or not. I wish I could find someone who makes extra long side reins with the elastic. My friend and I add double ended snaps to the ends of ours to help make them longer.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Agree with cu@x =) Kl makes nice ones.. i think they used to make tony slater ones as well.. they make 'warm blood' length which are wicked long. I think
    tory also makes some, but i think Kl's are the longest ( may also be called red barn) not sure.. Farm house had some a while back on their mobile unit, I'd bet they have them in the store too. 864-457-3557

We are having some DR custom made by our local leather dude-who also owns the feed store too. He made custom ground driving lines for me a few years ago (two sets from thick but supple harness leather for $60.00). I have big horses and stupid young ones too and they have held up beautifully.

I think he told my daughter that DR for my 17.1h BIG TB would be about $35-40.00 any color we wanted and any thickness of leather too.

Just a thought. It's not rocket science to make them and if you go custom then you know they will fit.