The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala HITS

What do you all think about the Devoucoux Hunter Prixs?

There are 4, the first through the 4th week, the first and third are $5K and the 2nd and 4th are $10K. total $30K!!!

Being held on Sundays not before 10am, who's interested in showing, (3'3") as you all know...

We don't have a hunter derby horse currently and there are not but 2-3 in our area the first 6 months of 2011 anyway.

We do have a pregreen horse, who we hope will be ready to compete in these classes.

I also did not see any of the USHJA hunter classics, the 3 foot class to ready for the 3'6" derby.

So what do you think about showing in this class in Ocala? Especially if you are already there showing, would you enter? The entry fee is $250.

If we end up doing Ocala instead of WEF this year, my horse will do it. Probably with my trainer the first week, but perhaps with me in subsequent weeks. Why? For no other reason than it looks like FUN! Well, that and he's exactly the kind of horse you'd want for a derby, so it's a nice little fantasy to pretend he'd have a shot
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I would definitely do it!!! and if your successful and want to do it at the other HITS maybe you could qualify for the year end final at Saugerties!

If we end up at Ocala vs WEF, I will surely harass my trainer to let me show in this class. Sounds like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    If we end up doing Ocala instead of WEF this year, my horse will do it. Probably with my trainer the first week, but perhaps with me in subsequent weeks. Why? For no other reason than it looks like FUN! Well, that and he's exactly the kind of horse you'd want for a derby, so it's a nice little fantasy to pretend he'd have a shot
    Yeah but these are not Derby format. Hunter Classic, no handy round.

We showed in the 3'3" Hunter Derbies at HITS Ocala last year and they were good practice classes for the 3'6" Derbies we planned on doing throughout the spring and summer.

Tom did a good job of introducing some tricky challenges like jumping out of the ring, then back in. We used a couple of our green horses which gave them exposure to a higher level of difficulty, from the usual Hunter Classes.

I'm a big fan of these classes. The numbers are typically large, the competition was good and the experience was worthwhile.

anybody else?

I'm hoping my barn ends up going the same weeks as those classes are offered. I'd love to do them but don't know if my mare is much of a Derby type -- great in a handy but can be a bit spooky. My other one will be a great Derby horse if his foot can hold up so he can get some darn miles under his belt!! I'm not sure if he will be quite ready in Ocala -- maybe with the trainer?? Jumps aren't the problem but a lead change would be nice!
    Hope to see you all there!
    My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
    *Harbour Town* 2002 Hanoverian gelding "Otto"
    *Sahalee* 2002 mare "Flower" but who knows what breed she is!

Anybody else have an opinion? I was wrong about the number it seems there are 5 hunter prixs, not 4.

2 of my horses did the Ocala 3'3" derby last year. Really nice class. The ring was small, but the course took you in and out of the ring, so it was a nice change. We won great money!

spinkerton06 Guest

Default Might as well

If you are going to be at the show already, why not give it a shot? the entry fee might be a lot but im sure the lesson/experiance you will gain from it will be well worth it.

Is anyone looking for a braider for Ocala?

if you there you mise well do it!!!!!!!!
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"