The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is Quest Plus still for sale?

Can't seem to find it. Suggestions about where to get it? Otherwise I guess equimax or ivermectin gold is best for tapeworms?

It is apparently back on the market, but slow to make its way to full stocking like before.

Use Equimax. You just don't want to go with ZG. Search here for that and ulcer, and you'll see why

It's back. My vet is fully stocked and I think I saw it in some local tack shops. You can order on-line too.

why was it off the market? I have some from before it went off and I'm wondering if I should not use it?

Company changed hands. Nothing wrong with it, just some transfer deal, some delay of ingredients, etc.

I saw a bunch at my local tack shop this weekend - not sure if they were out at one point as I haven't been there recently but they are full now.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I got it at AlliVet.com when it was nowhere to be found this past spring. I'm sure they still have it in stock now too, if you can't find it locally.

Fast shipping too.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

The company that was making quest was acquired by pfizer (who makes equimax). Nothing wrong with the old tubes. It wasn't "taken off the market", just there was more demand than supply during the transition.

It does seem pfizer is pushing equimax more than quest, but that they don't want to lose the market share of those that use moxidectin in place of ivermectin. But this is just my opinion/speculation.

Pfizer had BETTER not take Quest off the market. If they do, I sincerely hope someone else picks up a moxidectin product.

They may be the same chemical family, but moxidectin is the ONLY alternative to a Power Pack for encysted strongyles. If a horse has fenbendazole-resistant strongyles, there will be a harder time killing encysted strongyles without moxidectin.

Equimax and Quest Plus are simply not just interchangeable.

it seems to me as though my tubes of Quest Plus are expired by a few months. . . are they still safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Samigator View Post
    it seems to me as though my tubes of Quest Plus are expired by a few months. . . are they still safe?
    Safe: yes. Effective: unknown. The concern is that the old wormer's active ingredient will degrade and not work as well. Might under dose the horse. Might lead to resistance issues. If it was stored as directed on the box for the duration you've had it, I'd probably still use it. But if it has been out in the barn, no way.

If "few" is truly 2-3, then yes, what flyracing said. Most of these types of things are such that the exp date is not a "one day good, next day bad", but a fairly large leeway.

But if it's 5-6, then no, I wouldn't trust it.

Word is "The new Quest Plus" will not be out in the market till next year. I would check expiration date on the box you are buying.

What is "new" Quest Plus?

Quest Plus is *currently* back in some stores.

I work for a tack shop and when I saw this thread I called 2 major chemical companies that we buy from and both companies said they do not have them in and do not know when they will get them in. And what I ment with " new Quest plus" it is the same stuff but new company that bought them. Sorry for the confusion .