The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Is WhoaHorsieWhoa a newbie to eventing? She says (in another post and in her profile) that she competes at Training Level in eventing.

JenniferS

ThirdCharm - No i'm not a newbie to eventing. Been doing it for 4 years now. Just haven't done the rated events, only done schooling ones.

I think I heard somewhere that the medical card is white this year, so all you have to do is photocopy someone else's and fill in the info! No more carrying colored paper around.

Nature is correct (see below), the color is GREEN, not white.

[This message was edited by IFG on Jan. 28, 2004 at 09:52 PM.]

When I first joined USEA I did not get my packet in time to send entries for my first rec. show. Someone in the membership department emailed me my numbers and as for my horse I wrote "applied for" in the number blanks and they accepted it just fine. All I had to do was present the printed emails from USEA with the numbers on them at check in to prove that I really am a member.

Member of the mounting block clique!
    "WHOAA Dragon!!....Dragons are SOOO stupid!!" - Yosemite Sam
    Proud to have the ride on "Reprise" www.trinityfarmfl.com/reprise.htm

It is funny.. In the late 70's when I first competed in recognized events, everything was done by hand and rarely anthing got fouled up with membership. NOw with computers, it takes even longer if ever. I think it has gotten much worse, alot of times there is no response. Also the armban is lime green this year, it is obvious that is not clear if you read some of the posts! Come on USEA, get your act together!

I've found the staff of USEA to always be extremely responsive. It's a difficult time of the year November-January which is before-during-after convention. It's easier to e-mail or call the office (whether USEA or USEF, etc.) and more than one person if you don't get response from the original - maybe there's a reason - rather than speculate about issues. I find the assn. websites quite helpful. And the Eventers here are often knowledgable as long as you know you're getting the facts!

Has anyone gotten a 2004 medical card?
    I got the Omnibus, membership card, sticker (if I can find it) etc.

WhoaHorsieWhoa--

Sorry, I was fooled by the notation USEA which accompanies your level of competition, which implies some sort of recognition. I am glad to hear there are unrecognized events offering Training, there certainly weren't when I lived in Area I!

JenniferS

Opps! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_redface.gif
    Guess it's a little obvious that I have never competed outside of Area 8!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    I thought that logically it would just make sense to go LEFT to RIGHT in numeric order...who numbered these areas anyhow?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olympicprincess:
    ...I thought that logically it would just make sense to go LEFT to RIGHT in numeric order...who numbered these areas anyhow?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The same people who placed the letters in the dressage arena?
    The Evil Chem Prof

In another thread, someone in the know said that there is no new medical card for 2004, you are supposed to use the (lime green) one issued in 2003. But the most important thing is that you have the current, correct information. It is probably acceptable to use a copy on white paper.

WRT the Areas, and their numbers. I don't know, but I have assumed that they started off with a small number of regions. When there were enough members/events in an existing area to split it, one piece got the original number, and the other piece got the next unused number. I don't KNOW that is how it works, but it seems consistent with the numbering scheme.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IFG:
    I think I heard somewhere that the medical card is white this year, so all you have to do is photocopy someone else's and fill in the info! No more carrying colored paper around.

Nature is correct (see below), the color is GREEN, not white.

[This message was edited by IFG on Jan. 28, 2004 at 09:52 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The United States Equestrian Federation sent out those white medical cards in their renewal packets. The United States Event Association is still using the green cards, the same ones that were in use this past year. Rusty Lowe, Chairman of the USEA Safety Committee posted a short while ago on another thread that the green cards would be good through the end of this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    They say cats have nine lives. They would settle for one good one. Adopt a cat (or dog) today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olympicprincess:
    Opps! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_redface.gif
    Guess it's a little obvious that I have never competed outside of Area 8!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    I thought that logically it would just make sense to go LEFT to RIGHT in numeric order...who numbered these areas anyhow?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The numbering of the Areas is reflective of how the sport of Eventing grew in the US.

When it ceased to be a strickly military endeavor, Eventing was pretty much based in the East (Sorry Heather http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif ). Because the USEA, then the USCTA, had not yet been formed, Eventing used the Zones of the USEF, then the AHSA, to divided the country into workable segments. Once the USCTA was formed, the country was divided using Areas that were much larger than they are at present. I don't recall how many areas were created at that time, but I do know that there were less than what we have now. In fact, an old Omnibus from 1973 listed only four Areas (I-IV) as hosting events in that year.

As time passed, when the concentration of eventing in one Area got too large to be handled in an efficient manner, that Area was split. Instead of giving the segmented portion the next highest number and renumbering the remaining areas, it was given the next available number. This is why you see an Area like VIII stuck between Area I, II, III, and IV. By the time eventing grew in that portion of the country to the point where it was necessary to give it its own Area, Areas V, VI, and VII had already been formed.

If you look at a map of our current areas, I believe it gives a general idea of how the sport of eventing spread throughout the US. Since I don't know how the original Areas were configured, all of the following is purely an uneducated guess, but I think it would be reasonable to assume that Areas I and II stretched all of the way to Area IV, Area III contained much of the southern portion of the country incuding Texas and states west of it, and Area IV was made up of the northern portion of the country west of Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River.

Once eventing in the south grew to the point where a new area was necessary, Area III would have been split and Area V created which probably included the southern states west of the dividing line between Areas III and V.

When eventing started to flourish on the West Coast, it probably became necessary to divide out Areas VI and VII from Areas IV and V. Then, because Eventing in the East was continuing to expand, Area VIII was probably carved out of Areas I and II when they grew to the point where they needed to be divided. Areas IX and X would have been the result of the same thing happening in Areas VI and VII, but after Area VIII had already been formed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    They say cats have nine lives. They would settle for one good one. Adopt a cat (or dog) today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aww, but Heather, if we didn't repeat it, we'd never have all the fun fights about gags, out of control riders, horse-flippin, and the importance of dressage.

Med cards came in USEF renewal packet? Not in this gal's. Sigh. I'll stick with the lime green for now. And C'lope, thanks for the history lesson. So far I've gone from VII to X to II to III to VIII to IV. I'm slowly working my way around the country, it seems.

GotSpots, you'd best come to Area I. It is really nice here. When it isn't below zero. Or snowing. Or muddy. Or the Black flies hatch. Or during a tick bloom. We are a hardy bunch, and never snobby and very friendly.

As my son goes to school about 1/2 a mile from the USEA headquarters, I can say that there is a good chance that they are running on a skeleton staff this week....or reduced hours.

We've had snow, then more snow, then ice on that snow, more snow, and another layer of ice.

I would figure that they are all working just as hard as I am to keep their horses fed, watered, and just driving to work takes 2x as long.

Mel

Not to mention that "next month" is only 4 days away (from the date of the original post!)

Best of luck, whoa, with moving up to recognized events http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

One thing you can give and still keep is your word.
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pol:
    GotSpots, you'd best come to Area I. It is really nice here. When it isn't below zero. Or snowing. Or muddy. Or the Black flies hatch. Or during a tick bloom. We are a hardy bunch, and never snobby and very friendly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, and when exactly IS that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Right, and when exactly IS that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>July 2. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~