The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ok...

I had just sent out my applications for my horse and I so we could ride in rated events this year. Well i got my packet it today and i got the All Renewing Member Packet. I'm not renewing...i have never done rated events before. I just paid over a $100 for this and i haven't gotten the stuff i need. So i called and they said that they would send my stuff out. Now i won't get it until next month. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Ok...

I had just sent out my applications for my horse and I so we could ride in rated events this year. Well i got my packet it today and i got the All Renewing Member Packet. I'm not renewing...i have never done rated events before. I just paid over a $100 for this and i haven't gotten the stuff i need. So i called and they said that they would send my stuff out. Now i won't get it until next month. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Well, obviously the USEA is personally targeting you and does not want you to compete in events but wants to misappropriate your money and not give you whatever it is that you didn't get in the packet (which is, I guess, a copy of the rules? Your armband? Even renewal members get copies of their membership cards and numbers, which is basically all you really need to compete, since you can get a copy of the form to put in the armband and fill it out and you're good to go).

Geez. If this is how you react to something minor, which quite honestly could have been a legitimate mistake, I'd love to be around the first time your ride times get switched around.

CAlm down there. I sent my renewal in November and still have not received my packet, even though my mom who is has a "family" membership (which was sent in on the same form as mine), got hers more than a month ago. But I am not ranting, things happen.

So take a deep breath and let that blood pressure return to normal. There is no reason to react like that to such a minor and simple mistake.

Actually, i'm missing the Medical Card, 2004 winter omnibus, and 2004 rule book (which comes separatly. Which would be nice to have right now.

I imagine area 1 is in the west since I'm in area 8 and it's in the eastern half and COLD!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif Since you're probably in a warmer climate AND are able to compete now in Jan, just contact the USEA and see how you can fill out whatever entry you need to send off now (I imagine this is why you're upset) since they made the "oops!".
    The organizer can check that you are a member and just haven't gotten everything, and can make some special arrangements....most secretaries aren't fire-breathing dragons! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Actually Area 1 is New England - doubtful that much is happening until April! You can go online to the USEA web site to look at the Omnibus, and I am sure your rulebook is not too far out, since I just got mine last week.

Not sure where you need to go for a Medical Card, I will need a new one myself soon!

I thought Area I was in New England?

'O lente, lente currite noctis equi' - Ovid

Area 1 is in the northeast (NY, CT, NH, MA etc.). The first event in Area 1 is a CT in late April and is in Kent Connecticut.

WHW -
    Have you tried POLITELY and CALMLY asking the USEA membership department to send you a Rule Book, Medical Card and Omnibus? (If you have trouble with the words "polite" and "calm," Webster's has very good definitions). I think you'd be surprised how quickly this could happen.

Swizzle Stick

(P.S. At the risk of sounding like Simon on American Idol, your grammar and spelling are even more atrocious than your impulse control!)

whoahorsie, since I grew up in Area 1, I know that NOTHING happens there until a couple of combined tests the last weekend in APRIL in MA/CT. So unless you are planning to head very far south to compete out-of-area, I suggest you be patient, use the online omnibus and rules to develop your schedule for the year, and stop complaining.

~formerly Master Tally~

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

In addition, with the exception of the medical card, everything you "need" is available online.

Please keep in mind that the staff at USEA are graet people... over worked, typically understaffed, HUMAN but truly great people.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

The omnibus is on-line. http://www.eventingusa.com/omnibus/

The rule book is on-line. Mine only came in the mail last week. http://www.usef.org/content/rules/ruleBook/2004/

You can get a medical armband by calling and asking for one...I haven't gotten my new one yet, either.

Show entry dates for April won't be until the middle or end of February...you have lots of time to get what you need!

---------------------------------------------
    "If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
    Pictures!
    Helmet Nazi, Bah Humbug, Mares Rule, Breed Your Own and Michigan cliques!
    Click here before you buy.

"I'd love to be around the first time your ride times get switched around."

Have to agree Spots. It would be a way worthy spectacle!

Swizz

Yes- everyone has these problems. But most of us don't consider them a big deal.

I also did not get my winter omnibus. No big deal. It is availiable on line. Tthere is nothing I was planning to enter in it. My first events of the year will be in the Spring omnibus.

I just got my USEA rule book last week. (I renewed in November) If you don't get it soon, call or email them, and they will send another one. In the mean time, use the on-line version.

Take a DEEP breath. Count to 10.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Jeez Spots and Swizzle - cut the Nervous Newbie some slack!

Flutie

Area 1 is new england AND new york like I said.

I can understand being a bit miffed at the USEA. If you are new to the sport you really wouldn't know about the website either. Also if you became a member close to a competition season in your Area then yea I'd be a bit miffed also. USEA is a good organization but I've had some run ins with the people who run the horse registration department. One woman was very snotty and snippy and RUDE (that doesn't mean the whole organization is like that though because they aren't).

Anyway, welcome to eventing and call the USEA and tell them. I guess that is all you can do at this point. No use getting angry because it would be a waste of energy.

I have had lovely experiences working with USEA. They have been helpful, kind, and efficient whenever I have dealt with them.

And Flutie, much as I adore you, I don't think I'm being inappropriate in commenting that the reaction seemed a bit excessive, though perhaps the sarcasm was slightly uncalled for. Go after Swizz if you want for the personal attack on the spelling, but my comments weren't out of line.

So you see? Everyone has different experiences and thus different reactions to those experiences. No reason to get catty, petty and mean.

Hey Spots -

At least you can spell and punctuate!
    Sorry if I seemed to come down too hard on you. My concern is mainly with Swizz who seems excessively nasty! Probably cabin fever or something.

Flutie