The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

So I may be a bit out of the loop, but when did this happen? Rumor had it he has been gelded and sent from Bruce to a junior jumper. I am sooo happy with my 4 yr old Lion baby and was really hoping to collect a few more! I just hope they have their eyes on another to take his place in The Lion line. It has proven to be such an amazing line in eventing (with bruce at least).

Johanna

"When you're galloping at the biggest cross-country jump in the world.....you can't hold back"
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

So I may be a bit out of the loop, but when did this happen? Rumor had it he has been gelded and sent from Bruce to a junior jumper. I am sooo happy with my 4 yr old Lion baby and was really hoping to collect a few more! I just hope they have their eyes on another to take his place in The Lion line. It has proven to be such an amazing line in eventing (with bruce at least).

Johanna

"When you're galloping at the biggest cross-country jump in the world.....you can't hold back"

It's not a rumor, it's fact. The new owner posts on these boards, actually. He is going to be a junior hunter, though, not a junior jumper.

You aren't that far out of the loop.. it only happened a few weeks ago. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

-Amanda

www.risingstarfarm.net

Fair Knightess Guest

How old would he be now? 8 or 9?

Was he just not stallion material? They did breed him very young IIRC - he was breeding at 2.

if at first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again ...

I think he started breeding at 2 or 3 and I believe his oldest are 5 now...

How sad...his babies are doing quite well for them selves for as young as they are

Johanna

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QHEventr:
    I think he started breeding at 2 or 3 and I believe his oldest are 5 now...

How sad...his babies are doing quite well for them selves for as young as they are

Johanna

"When you're galloping at the biggest cross-country jump in the world.....you can't hold back" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree. No one really seems to know why he was sold, either, at this point.

-Amanda

www.risingstarfarm.net

Almost every horse at Chesterland is for sale, for the right price.
    I don't know the details-perhaps something to do with him breaking down a few years ago? Perhaps Bruce didn't think he would stay sound on XC...or didn't want to deal with his bucks anymore...he was always very light on his feet http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    He does have some nice babies out there though - I'm sure there was a very good reason, as breeding his own babies is so close to Bruce's heart.

~Jessica
    Personal slave to Newt, Image, and Dina!
    -Jessica

I saw the stallion at the vet box at a * and he just didn't seem like he would ever be a *** eventer to me. I actually thought he would make a lovely hunter. I guess that's what Bruce thought too.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

I agree that he would make a lovely hunter, but I'm still dissapointed. I know Bruce has done some HITS with him in the past. I have also been told that he was known for returning from hacks without the girl that took him. The line does have a bit of attitude in it. Mine still thinks that would be fun to do sometimes.

Johanna

Having never seen the horse, I'm speaking in the hypothetical.

The vast majority of good eventing sires have never evented or, in some cases, even jumped a fence. These would be racing TB stallions whose progeny turned out to have jumping ability -- Edmund Burke, Primitive Rising, Ben Faerie, Loyal Pal, etc. A good proportion of these stallions -- for a variety of reasons - probaby would not have made the *** level. And this was no reason not to breed them.

If Lion King is the last of the Stream Lion line, and the only stallion, you'd think he'd be worth keeping intact -- especially to breed to TB mares if he's a RIDx. I did hear of some very nice mares breeding to him, and from what Johanna says, his offspring seem to be quality horses.

While it's great that LK found a good home as a hunter, this is all a little sad, especially with the scarcity of good eventing stallions in the US.

My thoughts exactly JER!

Oh well, what can ya do?

Johanna

Wasn't there an article in Practical Horsemen about an event rider...in Colorado....(?)... who had a "Lion" filly? I think the filly's name was Dandy Lion but she nicnamed her Teacup.....?

Yep...But I think its "teaspoon". I'm probably way off though. She was (I'm not sure this is correct) Novice Champion for the area.

Johanna

He was AWFUL on trot sets...I personally saw him gallop past me on the way back to the barn one morning...he dumped his rider about halfway out on a 30 minute trot...he had a LONG way to walk home!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif
    He never 'grew up' as much as Bruce was hoping...looked very promising as a young horse, and never outgrew the pony stage.
    Should be a great hunter though (I can totally understand why the gelded him if he is to be a hunter, though....WAY too studdish to be trusted!)

~Jessica
    Personal slave to Newt, Image, and Dina!
    -Jessica

If he went to be a junior hunter, it doesn't matter how fabulous he was a stallion, behavior-wise (hypothetically) - he HAD to be gelded.

'O lente, lente currite noctis equi' - Ovid

Here's what I've learned about LK on this thread: (1) even Bruce Davidson may have found his bucking tiresome, (2) he's mentally immature and likes to goof off and (3) he likes to dump his rider and run home.

While I'm no hunter rider or expert, LK doesn't sound much like a junior hunter prospect to me. His bad habits seem to extend a bit further than merely 'playing in the corners.'

But I'm sure everyone involved does know what they're doing and I'd welcome the sight of an Irish-bred in the hunter ring these days.

What is a "trot set"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QueenMother:
    What is a "trot set"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Interval training.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

As you all may or may not know, Lion King is my new horse. I am really disappointed in the way some of you have made assumptions about him

Lion is a wonderful horse. He was a good event horse. He actually won a few Prelim or Open events I believe. He was a good stallion. He has had some awesome babies. That is all you guys should (correctly) assume.

Lion is the absolute opposite of how you all portray him. He doesn't buck, he doesn't play in the corners, he DEFINATELY does not have a studdish attitude (and to my knoweledge, he never did). He also, to me and my trainer's at least, does not seem insanely immature. He is a very smart horse and very eager to learn.

That being said, I have some problems with a few of you making assumptions about him not being "not sounding much like a junior hunter prospect". Some of you (I am guessing most you actually, if not all) have never seen Lion go. Therefore, it is just plain stupid to say these things. JER, you even admit that you don't really no what you are talking about. This is the part that confuses me. I don't really understand why, if you have no idea about my horse (except for, of course, the very reputable people on COTH which many of you have never even met...) you feel the need to pass judgement on him. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am guessing that I am not the only one offended by all of these statements. I am sure Bruce Davidson wouldn't be thrilled to hear all of this either. I really wish you all would maybe start acting like adults and stop being so quick to judge.

As soon as I have my first show with Lion King, I will update you all. As for the meantime, Lion is doing great. His surgery went very well and he is going back to work. He has started doing smaller courses again and he has been jumping amazingly. He is as sweet as an angel and a definate barn favorite!

Thank you all for hopefully listening to what I have to say. Sorry if there are some typing or grammatical mistakes, I am just a little upset right now with all of this.

"You've been hoodwinked. You've been had.
    You've been took. You've been led astray, led amok.
    You've been Bamboozled."

-- Malcolm X

Good luck with your new horse!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

If you ever come to Area I with him, I will probably see you!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
    BarbaraG
    Great Warrior Volunteer