The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are there more Hoarders now

or are we just more aware of them?

Seems like every other week now in my region there are hoarder busts and WE are now busting at the seams!

Latest one was 170+ Chihuahuas that are inbred, non vetted, never stepped foot outside so they have no qualms about pooping where they sleep or on each other..... in their previous life that was "normal". Raised on hamburger meat, pasta and unfortunately parts of each other... we got a couple missing whole or part of their ears.

The good news is that it seems people in general and law enforcement in particular are quicker to react once the animals are noticed but I'm wondering YOUR thoughts. Do you think we have more people hoarding? Or just more awareness so more being brought to light?
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

It's a TV show, so everybody is a hoarder now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I was wondering about this myself, and then started thinking about situations I knew about from years ago. I don't think there are more, but they just get publicized now. I thought I didn't know of any, but after thinking back I'm sure I've run into a lot of them.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I don't know either, but I think its just more publicized now.

I was quite surprised to hear that a house fire near me (in a development thats only 5-10 yrs old, no less) started in the home of a hoarder (of things, not animals fortunately) who had only been there a few years. The firefighters couldn't even get IN the building to fight the fire, I forget what they ended up doing but they did manage to get it put out somehow with minimal damage to the adjoining house/s. But I was sortof amazed that it could get into that condition in only a few years, I sort of assumed it took a lifetime. Very sad...

I think there's more awareness.

On the lighter side, the Possum from Hoarders has his/her own facebook page which is a hoot when the show airs on Monday nights. Appearances by multiple on and off screen hoarder personalities like Matt Paxton, Dr Z and others.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...51650018196103

if anyone wants to join in tonight!
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

more awareness, less tolerance. Didn't every neighorhood have a "crazy old cat lady" back then? probably they still do.

I grew up with a parent that hoards, as well as has other issues, so it was a part of life. I remember going to people's houses and thinking how clean they were and how much room they had Thank goodness there are no animals, but he collects junk and had lots of it piled everywhere. Us kids had to share a room because the others were full of his stuff. Now that he is on his own, with no one keeping him in line it has gotten totally out of control - like on the show because now he doesn't even throw out his garbage . In his case he blames everyone else - in my case "look what you've made me do by leaving and not cleaning up for me" (I've been out of there for over 15 years now) but I learned a long time ago to not try to change it or help because he just takes more, more, more from you. I have told him I will not visit while his house is so dirty - and he is not allowed to come into our house unless he showers and wears clean clothes. So he stays away I know that sounds awful and I am not a neat/clean freak by any means...but he was coming to our house and it was hard to get the smell/dirt out of our own house after he'd visit. So gross. All of the stuff you see on TV is true...he's isolated himself, lives in filth, wants to move elsewhere but can't because of the mess, etc etc. I am happy though that there is more recognition and hope that one day I will be able to get some more professional help for him that will have a better idea of what is going on and how to address it. I look back now and wonder how we were ever left to grow up with that - but I think back then it was not recognized.
    That being said, I'm not sure if it's more common now that it was. I seem to remember as a kid he always chose friends with similar lifestyles and I'd definitely say a couple of them were hoarders of various things. I can't watch that show without feeling sick, although it does have the good side effect of making me compulsively clean our house top to bottom
    I hope this did not come out sounding like a rant or that I'm bitter - I'm not at all. It's just sad and confusing disease that some unfortunate people have and I think everyone needs to remember that. I don't think these people are living like that because they want to - far from it. Although I'll be the first to admit that my attitude wouldn't be nearly so laid back and forgiving if he had animals.

I totally loath some of the horrible people that have been on Hoarders on A&E. Vula with all of the dead cats (who lived in a homeless shelter-is it a coincidence that the long term women's shelter in Kokomo now limits stays to one year, and says rooms must be kept clean?); Gaye and Gordon who kept two cats in cages in the driveway under a tarp, and now live in an apartment because the house was condemned; Penny who left her 13 year old son to raise his 3 year old brother while she dumped stuff in their rooms all of the time and apparently ignored both of them in favor her own hobbies; Mary Lynn and her poor son who has a mother who fills her trailer back up immediately, and Ingrid who claimed to be 58, looked 78, and was shopping during the cleanup (bet you can't guess how that turned out) and they never even touched the stairs, second floor, and basement. And apparently tonights new episode is a doozy.

And Ingrid's son said on the A&E boards that she moved in with a relative in another state for a few months, and she had to leave because she trashed the room there, and the room had to be totally emptied, scrubbed and fumigated after she left.

I feel sorry for the children who have to live in the mess, and the neighbors who have to live with decreased property values, and vermin swarming from next door.

I also can't believe (according to Matt Paxton A&E's cleaner extraordinaire) that many places the animal control people give some of the animals back to these horrible people, in spite of the fact they neglected and abused them. Matt said that the animal control people are so underfunded that they find it more difficult to keep the animals at the shelter for extended periods pending prosecution, than giving a few animals back.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White