The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why isnt Contango used more?

Why isn't the stallion Contango used more? Is it the EVA? Offspring quality? What kind of mare compliments him best?

Juliet

Probably because he died in 2007.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I think he is being used, just not as heavily as he was before. I saw at least 2 foals by him that were born this year. It's probably because there are so many newer stallions that have become popular.

A good friend is working with several youngsters by him and says that they are known for being difficult to handle, especially on the ground. Big, pushy, constantly have to be kept in check or they will run you over, chew on you, etc. A lot of ammies really don't want to deal with that, and the biggest market here is ammies.

Wow, Hampton Bay! That makes your friend the only person in the world with that opinion of Contango.... a stallion who is known world-wide for giving his offspring an excellent temperament (if at all possible)!

Maybe the dams of the horses your friend knows are real tough??
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

He has TONS of frozen semen so death doesn't seem the reason and his stud fee is very inexpensive for being a FEI producer and all the people I've asked said his offspring are the best ammie horses...very easy..from what i've heard..i dont own one so im just going on what i've been told.

I don't really want to get into the whole EVA protocol is difficult/easy to manage argument, but my short answer is that I do think the EVA has something to do with it, certainly.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

The EVA issue has held me back.

The EVA issue is a turn-off.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    The EVA issue has held me back.
    Me too.
    I know it doesn't have to be a big issue, but there are a lot of great stallions w/out EVA, too.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

There is just a whole list Juliet.......

he is dead. THere are plenty of ammy friendly stallions that are alive with good fresh semen.

he was EVA pos. You now have to deal with that protocol AND frozen semen

there are LOTS of inexpensive frozen semen stallions that have much bigger name recognition to get more "bang for your buck" that you don't need to do an EVA protocol on...........

and FWIW, I don't think that $1800 for frozen semen is really reasonable. I can get any number of European stallions for far less than that and have the "name du jur" to boot. Check out one of the price sheets for frozen stallions.............

Don't get me wrong. I love him and I would stand in line to buy a better Contango mare, however, I would rather buy a mare by him than try to have a foal by him. If I'm breeding to sell, buyers want foals by Quaterback, Sandro Hit lines, Weltmeyer etc. The longer he's gone, the less he'll be used.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I looked at a Contango filly when I was shopping. She was a drop dead gorgeous mover, although she was definitely a bit of a bully on the ground (could have been how she was handled) and she looked like she was going to grow up to be a bit coarse/heavy style, in spite of being out of a TB dam.

I've seen Contango babies that I'd take home in a heart beat, I've also seen some that I wouldn't really look twice at. Most move nicely but appearance can be all over the board.

As for breeding to him, he's not cheap for a frozen semen only stallion (and EVA positive to boot). Iron Spring Farm DOES give a hefty discount for going through the EVA protocol for the 1st time though....

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Wow, Hampton Bay! That makes your friend the only person in the world with that opinion of Contango.... a stallion who is known world-wide for giving his offspring an excellent temperament (if at all possible)!

Maybe the dams of the horses your friend knows are real tough??
    Actually, she breaks babies for a trainer who long-listed for the Olympics within the last decade, who shares that opinion. The dam of one of the horses was difficult under saddle, but the dams of the others have not been difficult, rude, etc. She says she likes the horses, but that she would not recommend them for the average ammy due to really having to keep them in line at all times.

FYI, the frozen has a LFG though, you won't get that with frozen from Europe.

I do think that his EVA status holds people back (I think it's silly, we easily vaccinated ever mare on the farm I work at this year, but still I understand some people's hesitation)

I also agree that his babies can be a bit coarse/plain looking... and babies that aren't "pretty" are harder to sell... sadly though, you don't ride the way a horse looks... Trust me, Ravel is not a "pretty" horse, but I promise you there's lots of us that wouldn't mind oening him *grin*

There is also a lot of truth to the progression of the breeds, and to do so you need to keep breeding to more modern/current warmbloods, and offspring by the newest hottest things tends to sell. But I think you do see people who know that breeding to him produces some very upper level horses (and the only one I've known personally had a VERY laid back temperment), so I think you'll still see some offspring by him, just not tons and tons like other fresh cooled/new stalions will get. But it's a shame since there really aren't that many KWPN stallions here in the US.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

It's too bad that Contango isn't used more. We've had five. One was difficult, but he was gelded late and not raised by us. I don't think $1800 with a LFG, plus the discounts ISF normally gives in a variety of situations, is unfair at all. Those people who are anti-EVA stallions and/or dealing with the EVA protocol have missed out on a good stallion. His offspring are not always pretty, but they are super athletic and rideable. Plus, it looks as if the mares are going to be super producers.

I personally would buy a Contango rather than breed one for the simple reason that he can throw tanks (big bodied, very short legged and coarse) or fabulously tall and leggy horses and can be unpredictable as to type in that regard. But the good ones are *really* good. My vet has a very lovely Contango right now, age 3, that is going very well under saddle. She is very elegant, a super type.

I have not ever heard anything negative about temperament apart from Hampton Bay's comments, but I do tend to base my opinions on my own firsthand experience.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

I wanted to use him for my first breeding attempt back in 1999, and being uninformed and worried, I skipped because of the EVA.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Thank you all for the info!!! Holly, your right and I understand your points and I should of clarified to keep, not sell the foal,...BUT you cant get a International PRODUCING stallion who is only available frozen with discounts, for $1300-1500 LFG AND you can sub for a fresh stallion at any time or change mares for LFG...Soooo in my mind thats hard to pass up but I still wanted to know "what I was missing". I am a newer breeder and I have a lot to learn but, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he isn't used much...like there was a secert I didnt know about him or his offspring. I know the EVA hassle sucks but no big deal in the grand scheme of breeding. I love this kind of info and love this website for letting us! Thank you all !!! Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I know it doesn't have to be a big issue, but there are a lot of great stallions w/out EVA, too.
    I agree. There are many great stallions available. I don't blame those who are reluctant to bring a virus into their heard, even if vaccinating is an option. Many factors weight into a decision (how about vaccine reaction? - it is always a possibility).

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I agree. There are many great stallions available. I don't blame those who are reluctant to bring a virus into their heard, even if vaccinating is an option. Many factors weight into a decision (how about vaccine reaction? - it is always a possibility).
    People can do what they want but I think it is worthwhile to read up on EVA before making statements like this. For example, if you use frozen semen, there is always some risk it could be EVA positive. The better practice, imo, is to vaccinate all mares against it - that is, if you are truly risk adverse and interested in keeping them safe.

There are several articles on EVA here:

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/index.shtml
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net