The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Robert Dover Is Out As Coach!

Has anybody else seen this? Robert Dover isn't turning as dressage coach for Canada. Thoughts? (sorry if this has already been posted)

http://www.barnmice.com/group/theeur...ource=activity

Here is the announcement on RD's website...www.doversworld.com.

So it was due to finances...my guess is that RD delivered on team performance and asked for a big raise...Sad for Team Canada. I hope that they can keep up their momentum.

My Dear Canadian Friends,

Below is the official statement prepared and agreed upon between Equine Canada and myself regarding the future. I would only like to add that it has been an enormous pleasure and honour working with and for you all!

Dressage Canada regrets to inform the dressage community that it has been unsuccessful in its bid to retain the services of Team Technical Coach/Advisor Robert Dover beyond the one-year contract that expired October 15, 2010. While efforts have been made over the past several months to extend this contract, the two sides have been unable to reach an agreement for this position due to financial contraints and time commitments.

Dover has done a formidable job as Technical Coach/Advisor, working tirelessly in support of the Canadian Dressage Team. He was instrumental in their success on the European Tour, and best ever placing at the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in Kentucky. In addition to this, Dover conducted clinics for Dressage Canada for listed riders nationwide.

There are currently efforts underway to maintain Dover on a consultant basis, which is welcomed by riders given the forthcoming 2011 Pan American Games and 2012 Olympics. Canada’s athletes are welcome to contact. Robert privately for help or coaching in the future.

Equine Canada/ Dressage Canada
    Robert Dover
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

So it was due to finances...my guess is that RD delivered on team performance and asked for a big raise...Sad for Team Canada. I hope that they can keep up their momentum.
    "Big raise" doesn't quite cover it.

NJR

don't tease Nojacket.... deets!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

My Dear Canadian Friends,

Below is the official statement prepared and agreed upon between Equine Canada and myself. regarding the future I would only like to add that it has been an enormous pleasure and honour working with and for you all!
    That RD felt the need to put this comment in front of the "official" statement is interesting, don't you think?

I agree with CatonLap that our riders were well on their way with their current coaches long before and will do well long after.

As to how much the raise was that was requested? Have a quick look at what is mentioned here...
    There are currently efforts underway to maintain Dover on a consultant basis, which is welcomed by riders given the forthcoming 2011 Pan American Games and 2012 Olympics.
    Hmmm.....a good showing at WEG, which a lot of people will (mistakenly IMO), completely attribute to RD, a contract coming due for renegotiation, two World-class shows coming up in the next two years?

Do you really think he just asked for a cost of living raise when so much is at stake in the near future?

And now we are looking at paying him as a Consultant?

If Mr. Dover didn't care to take the position at what EC felt it could offer, (and IMO they've known that he was unlikely to take their offer for quite some time...), then I for one suggest that EC gets off its collective ass and find the best full-time coach it can for the money we have available.

None of this Consultant stuff.

Our Team deserves a coach that is focused and engaged with them, not taking them on as a side project.

Just my opnion, as always.

NJR
    Last edited by Nojacketrequired; Nov. 2, 2010 at 08:05 AM.