The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2004
    Location
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,961

    Default Devoucoux saddle gurus - quick question

    Anyone know if the trees made for the 2006 Chiberta are any different than the ones made now? Lellie has been riding Rasta in hers for the past year and his back is fantastic...yes, you know where I'm going with this - sorta. A friend of mine has had an '06 (same year Lellie bought hers) sitting in her tack room and has shipped it to me for Lell to try with Rasta...alternative will be to buy a new one - GULP!!!!! Thoughts, info, whatever will be appreciated. The saddle is so balanced and "sticky"...I love it but am also scared to buy a new one and all that $$$ involved (will have to sell my similarly very expensive Amerigo Vesuvio CC saddle first if the new one is the option - ACK!)
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Not sure about the tree, but if her's doesn't fit you're welcome to try mine (I'm in Charleston, SC)... it's also been sitting in the tack room unused lol. It's technically for sale, but I haven't been advertising it much and have considered keeping it and using it as a trade in for a new one (whichever occurs first lol).

    Mine is an 04...



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2004
    Location
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Not sure about the tree, but if her's doesn't fit you're welcome to try mine (I'm in Charleston, SC)... it's also been sitting in the tack room unused lol. It's technically for sale, but I haven't been advertising it much and have considered keeping it and using it as a trade in for a new one (whichever occurs first lol).

    Mine is an 04...
    thanks - and this one's being shipped from Kiawah Island - FUNNY!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Pretty sure they're the same. It's built on the Biarritz tree, and that's been the same tree for darn near forever.

    You can pick up Chiberta's used for $3000-$3500. You just have to act fast because they move fast.

    Devoucoux does take saddles on trade-in, but they (understandably) can't give you a fantastic price for the trade-in. It's still faster and easier than selling your own.
    ________________________
    Resident COTH saddle nerd. (CYA: Not a pro, just a long-time enthusiast!)
    http://twitter.com/jenlmichaels



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2004
    Location
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Pretty sure they're the same. It's built on the Biarritz tree, and that's been the same tree for darn near forever.

    You can pick up Chiberta's used for $3000-$3500. You just have to act fast because they move fast.

    Devoucoux does take saddles on trade-in, but they (understandably) can't give you a fantastic price for the trade-in. It's still faster and easier than selling your own.
    was hoping you'd chime in...always have the best info! How do you learn all this stuff?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Devoucoux does take saddles on trade-in, but they (understandably) can't give you a fantastic price for the trade-in. It's still faster and easier than selling your own.
    I sold my Devoucoux on eBay for more than I paid for it.

    Hated the damn thing, too -- that is, until I sold it.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2008
    Location
    Southern by the grace of God
    Posts
    424

    Default

    JER,

    Can you sell my saddle for me on ebay- and commission possilble ? I am very ebay challenged, and have tried unsuccessfully 3 times to put my amerigo dressage saddle on ebay, and never got it completed.... ugghhhhh



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 21, 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default

    I have two all buffalo '08s you can try--one is 'normale', one is 'ouverte'--been sitting in climate controlled tack room in Southern Pines for the past year (or so).



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    9,817

    Default

    You could contact Devoucoux and ask them.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

    "I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    13,135

    Default

    I totally get the about buying a new one! Made the mistake of sitting in a few/talking with the guy at Fair Hill a few weeks ago. Not only was he the most knowledgeable salesman I've talked to in my saddle shopping- he instantly figured out why I can never find a saddle forward enough for me...I have a long femur, despite my legs being short- but, I also really liked the saddles. I think I'm in denial over needing a saddle....especially since I really like the expensive ones.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    was hoping you'd chime in...always have the best info! How do you learn all this stuff?
    Research. Trade fairs. Talking to saddle brand reps. Putting hands on a lot of saddles. Basically just by being a nerd.

    Some other thoughts about shopping for a Chiberta:

    --Many Devoucouxs have custom panels, and that can dramatically affect the fit. Ask Lellie for everything written under her saddle flap--there will likely be a bunch of designations that say things like "PX 410" or "PX LUZ". These are panel specifications that indicate the shape, and you'll want to match them when you go shopping.

    --The Biarritz and Chiberta are built on the same tree and are, thus, kissing cousins. The Biarritz has a slightly more forward balance point and Chiberta is slightly further back--thus the Chiberta often "rides" one size smaller, so a lot of people go up one size in the Chiberta (example: normally ride 17", ride 17.5" in Chiberta.) But the point is that if you are willing to flex on the monoflap issue and the balance point, you may be able to find a Biarritz that suits your needs. Biarritz is a little cheaper on the used market ($2000-$3000 whereas Chiberta is typically $3000-$3500).
    ________________________
    Resident COTH saddle nerd. (CYA: Not a pro, just a long-time enthusiast!)
    http://twitter.com/jenlmichaels



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2009
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    379

    Default

    I got my Chiberta for $2200 on eBay and it looks great and feels great! It had been custom reflocked for a "beefier TB" and it fits my guy ok- I always use a sheepskin anyway. It fits me pretty well too- I agree-
    I ended up in a 17.5 when I normally would use a 16.5 or a 17. The Devoucoux rep helped me figure out what size I needed and didn't care that I found one on eBay. One day I'll trade it on for the perfect brand new one! Now I need to find an 18.5 for my friend. She bought a Stubben Roxanne, and while it's better than the Courbette she was using, it's still not doing her any favors. But I love, love, love my Chiberta!
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 29, 2002
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    RunForIt - just tried one last night! I totally love it and it fits my beast too. I think I'm going to buy it. I'll jot down the numbers on it to see if it might help you. At least it's a local one you can try then!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    9,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I totally get the about buying a new one! Made the mistake of sitting in a few/talking with the guy at Fair Hill a few weeks ago. Not only was he the most knowledgeable salesman I've talked to in my saddle shopping- he instantly figured out why I can never find a saddle forward enough for me...I have a long femur, despite my legs being short- but, I also really liked the saddles. I think I'm in denial over needing a saddle....especially since I really like the expensive ones.
    I'm short too, 5'3.5'', and 130, and I too have a Devoucoux and it's a forward flap because I have a long femur. Went up a size too. Love their saddles.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

    "I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2004
    Location
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,961

    Default

    Sadly, very sadly (cause it's GORGEOUS) my friend's Chiberta is too small for my small butt - N4Jenny CLEARLY knows her stuff...no wonder Lellie's saddle seems to fit me so well.

    I am 5'5" and have a ridiculously long femur. Friend has normal size legs and is about 1-2 inches shorter than me - if anyone out there needs a practically brand new, dark brown 16.5", medium tree Chiberta, PM me and I'll give you friend's contact info.

    I'll see Lellie at Chatt Hills Saturday and will check out all the stuff on the underside of the flaps. I do think her saddle is a 17.5 so now I understand why it seems to fit so well....
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan



  16. #16
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Check with your Devoucoux rep---they may accept your Amerigo on trade towards a new one.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2004
    Location
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Check with your Devoucoux rep---they may accept your Amerigo on trade towards a new one.
    I will - appointment is currently scheduled for early November. He's a great guy though and will try to fit any Devoucoux to your horse. I've seen him NOT sell a woman a new saddle telling her the used one fit her horse perfectly! Hoping that might happen for me...hahahahha
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    Sadly, very sadly (cause it's GORGEOUS) my friend's Chiberta is too small for my small butt - N4Jenny CLEARLY knows her stuff...no wonder Lellie's saddle seems to fit me so well.

    I am 5'5" and have a ridiculously long femur. Friend has normal size legs and is about 1-2 inches shorter than me - if anyone out there needs a practically brand new, dark brown 16.5", medium tree Chiberta, PM me and I'll give you friend's contact info.

    I'll see Lellie at Chatt Hills Saturday and will check out all the stuff on the underside of the flaps. I do think her saddle is a 17.5 so now I understand why it seems to fit so well....
    I guess mine wouldn't work anyway as it's an 18.5.

    By the way does anyone know how tall P. Dutton and Sharon White are? I was told by the rep at Fair Hill that both of them ride in 1A flaps.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2004
    Location
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I guess mine wouldn't work anyway as it's an 18.5.

    By the way does anyone know how tall P. Dutton and Sharon White are? I was told by the rep at Fair Hill that both of them ride in 1A flaps.
    I thought those were shorter flaps?!?!?!?!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    I thought those were shorter flaps?!?!?!?!

    They are.. the lower then number the shorter the flap. I've been told the average woman uses a 2 length. But the rep at Fair Hill told me that both those riders rode in 1A flaps. So anyone know how tall they are?

    Friend was trying dressage saddles. Rep told her 1 would be ideal as well for the dressage saddle. She's 5'3" but her legs are about as long as mine (I'm 5'7")



Similar Threads

  1. Devoucoux saddle decoding
    By *Liz* in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May. 14, 2012, 02:04 AM
  2. Devoucoux Saddle Care ?
    By horsecents in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May. 2, 2012, 02:08 PM
  3. Considering a Devoucoux saddle. Fit question
    By Fiwi in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar. 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
  4. Quick question about Plain flap type saddle
    By hntrjmprpro45 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
  5. DK Saddle or Devoucoux
    By joannr24 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun. 29, 2010, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness