The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Liability Release?

Hey Kids-

Does anyone have a good release form I might copy? I have a large parcel of land here in Maine and my neighbors like to ride through here frequently. I'd like them to sign something to hold me harmless when they get bucked off! (as happened last week )

Thanks a bunch...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Sent you an E-mail!

Please consult a lawyer in your state to make sure any release you use is worded properly for the laws in YOUR state. A generic release is not a good idea, as state laws differ greatly.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Check first to see if your state is one with an equine liability limitation law....if it is (last count I saw was 43 states with this in some form....NV is NOT one of them!!) check the requirements for wording and posting. In Oregon for instance there is approved wording and if you post this on your gates, fences, barn etc you are covered by it (you are actually covered even if not posted but it makes riders aware if you do)....thing called "inherent risk" and addresses the assumption of that risk....by merely being in a horse activity area it assumes you know and are taking on that risk as a "participant" whether it is an event or you are a spectator/bystander. If your state is NOT one of these with limited liability laws you should probably consult an attorney to get a release worded right to cover you.

Even if your state has an equine liability law, you STILL NEED a separte signed release as a signed release can and should cover much more than the liability statute does.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Please consult a lawyer in your state to make sure any release you use is worded properly for the laws in YOUR state. A generic release is not a good idea, as state laws differ greatly.
    Yes.

AND check with your insurance company. They may have language in there that they require to be used -- or they might also tell you you're not covered for other people riding on your property.

Maine is a equine liability law state. But we also have laws that specifically pertain to crossing other people's property on horses, hunting, among other things. Basically you do so at your own risk. The landowner generally is not liable unless they do something deliberate to create a dangerous situation. I had a minor fall with a serious injury on a trail ride. I don't know whose land it was. When the insurance company came looking for somebody else to pay the bills, I told them that under Maine law the landowner was not liable. Never heard another word about it.

You might try looking on the state's website for the law and/or more information.

Also, a no trespassing sign is your friend for those who have not signed a release and don't have permission.