The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default Is the recession not over for you either?

Who ever says this thing is over is the biggest ostrich that ever lived!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I think they think if they keep saying it will be so.

Unfortunately, not for me.

All indications are that it is getting better, but, as with anything realistic, it's going to take a long time and never be at the level of out of control it was before. It's going to take a long time to pay for the excesses of before.

It's not been a problem for me as I've always been very frugal and practical. Everyone else is just having to start living like me.

Well, let's see. When the markets first crashed all of my clients went into shock. Then they stayed home on staycations for about year instead of going abroad on vacation, and pulled back on activities for their families. Now several have gone back overseas for their vacations and planning ski vacations etc for this winter, so I would say their confidence is better.

However, hubby was out of work for almost a year, is now back to working, our paychecks are still what they were a year and a half ago, my mother's social security has been frozen for three years now, the grocery store prices are not going down for anyone, and my brother just got laid off.

The upshot: some are doing better, some are doing worse. Is that the picture of recovery? Not really. At least, not to me.

It looks like there's a bit more work for me on the horizon. Hopefully.
    Of course, feed just went up <sigh> TSC here just raised the price of whole oats $3 a bag!
    Y'all ain't right!

Does anyone dread when the recession is 'over' and gas goes back to $4+ per gallon?

It's getting better...at least here. Our stocks are doing great, and my husband, who manages a car dealership has already beaten what he made for the year, the last 5 years. So, overall, pretty good.

It's definitely not over!
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    It's getting better...at least here. Our stocks are doing great, and my husband, who manages a car dealership has already beaten what he made for the year, the last 5 years. So, overall, pretty good.
    The automotive sales recovery seems to be different in this region. Mr. Chief2's step brother has been working from one dealership to another. Things are good while special programs run, and then things dry up and he has to find work at another dealership, sometimes over the state line. His house is being foreclosed on in 2 weeks and the family has to be out. It has been a tough row to hoe.

Not over for me from the horse business point of view. However, my pastured chicken business is going along fairly well. Guess I can raise chickens and turn my horse stuff back into a hobby! I might actually get to ride my own horses again...what a novel concept!

A girlfriend who is an OB/GYN said her good patients are waiting to have a first/additional child until things turn around and jobs/income are more secure. The patients who live off various programs have not waited to have/add more children to their family.

Nah this thing isn't over yet for a lot of people. Personally we're in a much better position now than we were 15 months ago, mainly due to the fact that we got lucky and sold our retail store over 12 months ago otherwise we would be in it up to our necks. My husband's in a good job working for a privately owned company that is going strong, and I work in medical admin, in our field there's no shortgage of sick people on account of stress and crisis management at any time, let along the last couple of years.

I always remember a couple of acquaintances saying how they hadn't noticed the recession affecting them at all 15-18 months ago, now both those people are really hurting - it just took a long time for their professions to be hit.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Nope, not much recovery here. DH still has his "day" job and fortunately I took early SS a couple of years ago. But no increases for a couple of years--no inflation they say (Congress gave themselves and federal employees
    raises--hummmm).

Sales continue downward compared past periods of time with this year the lowest since our high year of 2007. Yearly sales this year will be less than half of that year. Forty percent of net profit goes to Uncle Sam--Last year I could have made more money as a Walmart greeter. Not joking!

Folks are cutting back on the horsey things, and not buying the farmettes,
    ranches, farms, etc. until the economic outlook gets more positive. It's been
    funny how sales have followed what the Federal government is or isn't doing.

We're managing to hang in there, DH still has a good job, I'm still a stay-at-home mom. Not struggling to make ends meet, but struggling to build up any kind of savings.

Realistically, though, I think a lot of that has less to do with the economy, and more to do with the fact that we had a whole bunch of expensive old stuff, like our cars, that reached the point where they really needed to be replaced instead of patched together one more time. Plus some very expensive vet bills recently.

Most of my friends and family are still employed and doing okay, but it seems like a lot of them, my husband included, are working longer and longer hours for the same pay.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Not even close to "over" here...

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

Nope not even close has only gotten worse for us.

The UNION company my hubby worked for sold the part of the company he worked in this past spring. There was absolutely NO warning.
    The sold it on a friday night and never even notified my hubby that he didn't have a job. He is friends with manager of the part that got sold we found
    out the very next day what had happened.

we went from nearly a 1,500 dollar a week income down to less than
    400.00 a week as he had to find a new job as his unemployment from being laid off for the winter (cement company) was about to run out.

I can not work and am dealing with an on going disability case wichis looking
    more and more to be in my favor. We lost our Union ins. and do to my problems and hubby's we have had to get help from the state.

However we try to keep a positive attitude, make do with what we have
    we have cut corners as much as we possibly can and are struggling
    but there is light at the end of the tunnell. We have been in this type of situation before and have climbed right back up and out. It just gets frustrating when it keeps happening over and over again.

So no in my opinion this is far from being over.

Not at all...

I'm optimistic. My husband got laid off two weeks ago, but at the same time, we're starting to see our industry (offshore oil/gas) pick back up again. Hubby fortunately has a couple decades of the installation/intervention experience that will likely be in high, high demand as new regs come out. He's already had a few interviews of that nature. The company I'm with has definitely seen a slow-down, but this year actually isn't as bad as last year in spite of the BP thing and drilling moratorium. So we're pretty much in a holding pattern... waiting to see what's next, spending nothing that isn't absoultely necessary, and keeping a tight fist on the family budget.
    Jer 29: 11-13