The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dark fruitcake recipe

I am one of those bizarre people who LOVES fruitcake. Especially when it has marzipan AND royal icing on it!
    My late mom used to make one in a Bundt pan...loaded with fruit, dark as sin, and lovingly bathed in rum for weeks before Christmas.
    Only problem?
    I need a GOOD recipe.
    Any help?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    I am one of those bizarre people who LOVES fruitcake.
    This makes me laugh (I, for one, hate fruitcake!), because my elderly neighbors called Tuesday to let me know they would be gone for a few days, and would I please keep a lookout for a couple of fruitcakes they were expecting to be delivered. The evil side of me had a fleeting thought of leaving big ol' stomp marks in the yucky things!

Good luck with the recipe search.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

I also can't help you there, but my grandma used to make a HORRID fruitcake that was so dense and so hard that you had to practically use a saw to slice the thing. We deemed it "Lewis and Clark Loaf" since one of the suckers would probably have lasted them for their entire journey across the nation!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

My Mother had a recipe for chocolate fruit cake that was wonderful. I'll dig around and see if i can find it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I saw this recipe while looking for one for my sister: http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/black-fruitcake

I don't have to take out the guess work on what she's giving out for X-mas!

Years ago, a nurse I was working with made fruitcake every year. It involved soaking the fruit in brandy for a month. It was delicious. She gave me the recipe and I made it once, came out great, but I didn't make it again for years. When I went to make it again, of course I can't find the recipe and she has moved.

Wow, I was thinking of starting a thread for closeted fruit cake lovers (this line could take an interesting twist!!)

I am one It's not the holidays without one!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

This is such a great thread! My husband will NOT touch fruitcake as it was in his rations while in Vietnam. Of course, our kids can't look at a fruitcake without gagging although I am not sure they have EVER tasted it.

Me? I love a good fruitcake.. Every year, at Christmastime, I would send my brother and sister a fruitcake from a certain fruitcake producer in GA.. It was an inside joke because as kids, we would drive from NY to FL to see grandparents and on the way home, Dad would have to stop at that fruitcake factory for a tour (which included samples of course!) My sibs always got a huge laugh when they received that fruitcake and it brought memories of our Dad. Sadly, this year, I will only send one as we lost our sister last year.. but maybe she and Dad are sharing one somewhere.

Default Perfect Timing

I am sitting here thinking darn, I HAVE to get my fruitcake baked this weekend if I'm going to do it. It's much better if you wrap and soak it for a month in the fridge before serving.

I use the Dark Fruitcake recipie from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook book, original edition. The 14th edition has a similar but not quite the same edition. I could PM you the version I use.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog