The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddles for bikes?

A few months ago, in exchange for use of my truck and my assistance in moving, my brother gave me his older mountain bike. It's a Trek 6000, has hard trail tires, and is a much nicer bike than I would have bought myself (well worth my time and truck use). I'm an inside-the-beltway NOVA resident, and have been riding it along some of the rail trails here (W&OD) and the C&O Canal, and generally enjoying having a bike for the first time since high school.

However.

I most definitely must do something about the seat Originally, my brother left his "upgraded" men's saddle on it, which I'm sure was comfortable for him, but hit all the wrong places on me. We discussed, I did a bit of googling, and it appears that bike saddle fit is about as personal as regular saddle fit. He swapped out the "good seat" for the original seat (which he said fit him completely wrong, so he understands the dilemma ) and while it's better, it still doesn't sit quite right.

Firstly: If I go into a bike store with the bike/saddle I currently have, and tell them I need something with a wider twist, are they going to look at me like I'm crazy? Because were it a regular saddle, that's just what I'd think needed to change. No idea if the same terminology applies to bike seats. (My riding saddles are a Beval Natural and a Wintec dressage, so if any of you can suggest a bike seat for someone whose butt fits those nicely, it would be very helpful. Can I take my Beval to the bike shop and ask for that seat in bike form? )

Secondly: There are quite a few bike shops near me. Do any of you DC/NOVA locals have any specific recommendations on places you like, perhaps that are good at fitting women to bike seats? I'm thinking perhaps just taking the whole thing in and getting it all adjusted specifically for me would be helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Any good bike store can help you find a saddle that works for you. They might not have much of a selection though as most people simply make due with padded covers. If that is a dead end, the Internet is a great place to get what you need.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Not to cheat on COTH, but the ladies over at Team Estrogen can be very helpful in helping you narrow your bike saddle search.

Team Estrogen is a shop that specializes in cycling gear for women, and they have an online forum.

You could do an online search of bike shops in your area and read reviews if you don't just want to drop in somewhere (some shops are geared toward racers and aren't as kind to other riders- don't let this scare you away from going into shops though as they're definitely not all like this).

I'd be sure to ask that they measure the width of your seat bones so you get the right size saddle (a shop that does bike fittings will be more likely to do this). Oh, and most saddles will have some type of money back guarantee if you buy it and end up not liking it - be sure to check that though.

Luckily getting a saddle for the bike is not as frustrating as a saddle for the horse! Good luck finding something that works better for you!

EDIT: Yes, the ladies on TE are very helpful too!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I'd be sure to ask that they measure the width of your seat bones so you get the right size saddle (a shop that does bike fittings will be more likely to do this).
    This is my primary problem! The first seat was well inside, and this one just a bit so, and it feels like the bike seat is slowly trying to split me in half

I've been in the bike shop down the street from me in Bailey's, and they're perfectly nice, but seemed mostly college-aged guys. I was just curious whether someone could recommend anywhere in particular. I will definitely check out the biking forum, though from what I've skimmed through elsewhere, they seem to be a bit more intense than I am about things--I'm more "trail rider" level versus "grand prix aspirations" level! It's been great, though, to have something to do outside while my mare is laid up

No way will people think you're nuts! Just take your seat into the bike store and talk to them about it. There are lines of mountain bikes that make bikes specifically for men and women (specialized is one brand), and the women's seats are often a little wider than the mens to accomodate our hips. Some women don't fit on women's bikes due to their build or narrow hips. But plenty do. Any good bike shop understands the difference and has staff that can help you.

There are saddles that are made specifically for women. I have my brother's old bike, and while the rest of it fits me fine, the saddle was really painful. I switched it out for a women's saddle and it is much more comfortable now.

What you wear to ride can make a difference too. I hate riding my bike in jeans as they tend to chafe and rub. I actually prefer my (horseback riding) schooling tights for comfort.

You want your weight in your seat bones but if your sit bones are off the side of the saddle, the weight gets shifted forwards

I have a Serfas LR-2 Curva (scroll down for women's saddles) on my road bike and find it comfortable even on longer rides (well, as comfortable as any saddle is going to be 60 miles into a ride ).

TE has a new riders section and everybody is really kind there
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.