The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Turning 50

Well, next year I turn 50, and rather than spend the next year avoiding the fact that I am actually going to be 50 years old, I decided to really celebrate it! Just booked a villa in St John, and will go there with my DH, DD and her boyfriend, my mom, aunt and brother. I can't wait now!

So what did you do to celebrate a milestone birthday?

Oooohhhhh that's exactly what I want to do too, but I don't think finances will allow.

St. John is one of my all time favorite places, and I'd love to take my extended family there. I turn 50 next year so I've given it some thought too!

I had a great 50th birthday! I went on a dream trip with a good friend, and 4 other women who are now friends too

We went riding in the Absaroka Mountain area of Wyoming for five days thru Bear Basin Adventures and had a blast! http://www.bearbasinadventures.com

Honestly, I hesitated to do it, because of the money. But DH told me if not for my 50th, when then? When I was 60, or 70? You have to do the fun things, while you still can. It was worth every cent. Made me feel like 50 is NOT middle-aged. It is the beginning of freedom from the responsibility of young children, and all the uncertainties of starting out in marriage, or work.

for those that are interested in a trip like this, here is a link to some photos:
    http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/Lawndart_album/

You only go around once, far as I know. Better make it a good round.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I sort of remember 50...*snork*...

The one thing or piece of advice I can give these young whippersnappers is live your life so you don't look back with regret of not doing something. My ex-MIL told me that after she turned 70-ish. She wished she had taken more chances and lived a LIFE, not just existed.

Well, let me tell you, I've done my dead level best to do just about everything on my bucket list. Matter of fact, I've almost done my whole bucket list and have now revised and have a new-ish one in development.

Okay, so I got a little OT, but there you have it! I wouldn't go back to much younger for anything in the world. Only I wished I'd had my wisdom THEN instead of NOW.... That's the breaks though....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

It's looming for me, too - I turn 49 day after tomorrow. I am going to Holland for a few weeks in June to see my friends and the fun family members. True, it is early, but I have no desire to go there in November!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Lawndart - that looks like a blast! My DD and I went on a one day ride outside of Jackson Hole, WY several years ago. It's absolutely gorgeous country, and we had a wonderful time - I can just image how much fun it would have been going on a five day trip with a bunch of other women!

goneriding - that's great advice! Getting my horse this year was the biggest thing on my bucket list! Now if I could just learn how to ride him! LOL!

SMF11 - St John is my favorite place as well - I absolutely love it. Am trying to figure out how we might be able to retire there some year. Hopefully you'll be able to get there next year too!

Me and two good friends of mine went to the PBR (bull riding) finals for my birthday three years ago. ABout to turn 53 and I HATE it, but nothing I can do!

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Lawndart - that looks like a blast! My DD and I went on a one day ride outside of Jackson Hole, WY several years ago. It's absolutely gorgeous country, and we had a wonderful time - I can just image how much fun it would have been going on a five day trip with a bunch of other women!
    Well start getting a bunch of like-minded friends together, and book a trip for next summer. It will be here before you know it.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!