The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pedigree question, not familiar lines/update, another decision

Can
    Last edited by QuillcoteFarm; Nov. 3, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Lots of good stuff in that pedigree.

Others will hopefully post more but you've got Quadratic on the dam side. He is in the pedigree of a few **** horses....the Foreman being one that jumps to mind.

I don't know as many up close...but I like Halo (as long as there are other lines in there with good temperment---and the horse in front of me seems to have a good temperment). His get often are good jumpers/athletes....or at least the ones that I've known. But Halo do have a reputation for being tough minded. I have one whose dam's sire is Sunny's Halo...and he has a great great mind...so you have to look at everything in there. This is my guy's pedigree http://www.pedigreequery.com/loveton

Herbager is always good in a pedigree for eventers. Several lines here that trace to Cohoes....a very good sport line....son of one of my favorite lines (Mahmoud). I think through Miss Swapsco is supposed to be very good. I see Olden Times in the 5th....nice to have and also Swaps.

But on paper....this one should run and jump! And the more I look at it the more I like him. I'd expect him to look like a very nice athlete....probably my type of horse

ETA: His name is ringing a bell....but can't place it yet
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Oct. 31, 2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typos
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I've had two Allen's Prospects. One son, excellent jumper. Sold as a 4 ft jumper. Other a prelim eventer; Allen's Prospect is the broodmare sire.

I am familiar w/ Flame Thrower's dam, Metromane, and Metrogrand. Metromane was an excellent minded filly; did well racing at the state level. Metrogrand produced runners and he was a nice bodied horse. fyi we called Metromane Blondie as she was chestnut w/ flaxen mane and tail.

Oh I bet he is NICE!!!!!!!

Welcome to the red-head gang!!!

I also have a pale chestnut, big blaze and BLONDE mane/tail... not sure where she gets it from....

www.pedigreequery.com/blonde+persuasion
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightride View Post

I also have a pale chestnut, big blaze and BLONDE mane/tail... not sure where she gets it from....

Ohhh I envy you, your mare has Ack Ack! My old guy was by Youth, by Ack Ack, with Lt Stevens on the dam side! He was my bestest buddy, he was with me for 26 of his 30 yrs!! This guy will have some BIG shoes to fill!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightride View Post

Bling is probably coming from your mare's dam's sire line. Lots of horses with bling in those lines.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

IrishRocks Guest

I'm an x-factor fan, and owner of a young eventer prospect with the large heart gene.

So I noticed that, from the pedigree, this horse has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the large heart gene, which confers exceptional stamina.

Thanks guys! She is a total love and trying her best NOT to be a racehorse . She loves to go for trail rides and is just starting to hop over small fences. Hopefully we can do a few FEH classes next year. She is already 16.2 and looks like she will get a few more inches!! I saw her at a sale in March and liked her but the consigner was taking her out and putting her in a later sale (thinking she would bring more money). She really developed nicely and there was NO way I was coming home without her...

Wonder if all pale chestnuts with blonde mane are like this I could corner the market!!

Good luck with your boy- photos???

Smartaire and Turn To are also nice to have
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For another perspective on your horse's pedigree, look up Vineyridge's thread (here on the eventing forum)with links to a couple of interesting articles on soundness in the American TB. I don't know how to do links, unfortunately!

Also interesting that your horse has NO duplications in 5 generations. I always kind of like that, as the ones with many duplications tend to have too many that reinforce unsoundness.

Best of luck.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    For another perspective on your horse's pedigree, look up Vineyridge's thread (here on the eventing forum)with links to a couple of interesting articles on soundness in the American TB. I don't know how to do links, unfortunately!

Also interesting that your horse has NO duplications in 5 generations. I always kind of like that, as the ones with many duplications tend to have too many that reinforce unsoundness.

Best of luck.

I have been keeping up with a lot of Vineyridge's threads, it has turned me into a pedigree junkie!! I enjoy them soooo much.

I also like that there are no duplications. I am much more familiar with the European TB lines than the American, as I have owned more TB's with the European blood!

Quote Originally Posted by QuillcoteFarm View Post
    Ok I say 1/2 brother hubby says cousin?? Here is another one. Now I have to decide.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/litescameraaction

Originally I liked this one better, he is more my size, built more the way I like, etc, etc. He was out of my price range, but some things have changed so now I begin again??? Its a good thing Florida is sooooo far away!

Anyone??

They are half brothers...same dam. This one is a year older then the first one you posted.

What is interesting...is while they have different sires...the sire of both sires is the same. That doesn't make them anything...except that their pedigrees are a bit closer

On paper...I like the first one slightly more...but honestly, you don't ride the paper. Go with the one that you like the look of better. (or get them both!)

Don't have much time, but Quadratic in the first horse's pedigree is the broodmare sire for both Vaunted and The Foreman--two successful Rolex horses...

Call Brookledge, they have vans running up and down 95 all the time... just trying to help

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    They are half brothers...same dam. This one is a year older then the first one you posted.

What is interesting...is while they have different sires...the sire of both sires is the same. That doesn't make them anything...except that their pedigrees are a bit closer

On paper...I like the first one slightly more...but honestly, you don't ride the paper. Go with the one that you like the look of better. (or get them both!)
    If horses come from the same dam and one has a stallion as tail male sire and the other has the same horse as tail male grandsire, I've always considered them 3/4 siblings. It's the same relationship that Adargatis had to La Troienne, and that Nimbus has to Grey Sovereign.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I sent you a pm about this horse...

Quote Originally Posted by take_a_deep_breathe View Post
    I sent you a pm about this horse...
    Got it and I replied! Thank You!!!