The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question When to geld?

I am seeking advice on when to geld my recently acquired colt.
    Colt will be 1 in a few days (Nov 3)
    Has been malnourished/sick/stunted

I have had him for 1 month
    Then:
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../392226346.jpg
    Now:
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../393037451.jpg

Both parents were 16 hands, and of course I'd like to see him grow.
    I also like the look of studs/late gelded with the thicker necks, stouter build, etc.
    But of course I would like what is best for the colt.

Would it be better to geld him soon (in a couple of weeks) or later (in the spring?)
    What would be most beneficial for growth?

Other factors:
    He has very good manners, there are no mares around, all my fences are 5 feet tall.

I am posting here because I don't know much about babies didn't plan to have one, but saw this guy on Craigslist and just couln't leave him there (so please be kind when explaining to me the pros and cons )
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

He is old enough and the weather should be cool enough now so that he won't suffer from flies on the incision site. As long as he is healthy now, make the appointment.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

He should get a tetanus booster at the same time. A lot of vets will also check for wolf teeth at the same time, and pop them out while the colt is out.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I love the now picture! He is adorable and looks very sweet. You can tell he definitely has good care now. You are so nice to have picked him up!

You did a really great job with this little guy! Kudos to you. I would recommend gelding him at any time, provided:
    1-the weather is mild--not buggy or too hot or cold.
    2-he is healthy and not stressed.

Good luck with him!

Great Job!!!!!! I agree with Callaway on all counts.

You know, I've been contemplating the same thing. My colt is 16 months now, and I'm planning on gelding him very soon, but I also have heard that gelding early makes them taller and gelding late makes them heavier. Okay, but when is late and when is early? Does 6 months make the difference? Is there a cut-off for getting the taller version? I want my guy to be tall, but his neck is just now starting to fit his body and I want that as well. Can I have both? And what difference would there be? An inch taller if I geld him early or 200lbs heavier if I'm late? Could it be that if you would have to wait until they're 3 or 4 to see the heavier version? Somebody must have the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    You did a really great job with this little guy! Kudos to you. I would recommend gelding him at any time, provided:
    1-the weather is mild--not buggy or too hot or cold.
    2-he is healthy and not stressed.

Good luck with him!
    Ditto this. Boy, you have done a great job with him in only a month He is lucky you found him !!!
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Agree with the others on all counts. Well done. I've only had one foal and he was very colty. Vet advised to get him done while still on his mum at 5 months old and said most of those beliefs are just that. So he was done then. Wish the 'will grow taller if cut young' were true... If you think your boy is fit and well, then go for it.

My three yr old was gelded at four months and is now over 17 hands. He is a friesian/ quarter horse cross and is taller than both his parents. I don't know is this is due to his being gelded young or just his genetics or both. He is certainly taller that initially anticipated but I am tall too so no big deal.

The theory behind grow taller when gelded is that the hormone change at puberty is part of what tells the body to "seal" the growth plates. No puberty means the growth plates stay open longer. However it's hard to test since you can't really tell how tall the horse (or dog, or person) was destined to be genetically.

If your guy has already reached puberty then it's too late to "geld for the chance of height."

I am glad he found a good home!!
    From what I have read, gelding does affect the height but not overly. In other words your genetically predisposition 15.2 hh colt will not turn out 17h. They are talking an inch or so. And same with leaving them intact. Some stallions are very thick and some look more like geldings, so do not expect any big difference. His genetics will be the biggest factor in his thickness. (or his environmental conditions in this particular case)
    If he is being a good boy and it is easy for you, I would give him a bit to gain weight and get more healthy. Worms, shots, mineral etc. His body is trying to recover from the malnourishment and gelding might set that back a bit. Not the end of the world if you need to geld either.

I agree. Give him more time to get healthy. Problems can, and do, occur from gelding so give him the best possible chance just in case. If he is being good there is no hurry. His height and weight should be that different at his age.
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

The younger you geld the cheaper it is(at least where we live)and the easier it is on him.....I would geld him as soon as he is in good enough condition.

Dalemma