The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who's advertising in the COTH Pony Breeding Issue this year?

Pony Breeders....I know we discussed this last year and there was a noticable drop in the amount of ads in the 2009 Pony Breeding issue. Are any of you going to advertise this year or know someone who is? Have those that have used in the past seen a return on their investment? I did a classified in that issue last year and didn't seem to get much response from it but I also only have a couple sale ponies. Just wondering what everyone else's experience was. I know some of you can just use word of mouth since you are established--wish I was there!!!

TIA!

I don't think I will advertise this year. The last time I did not get even ONE customer from the Chronicle ad, but had good response from word of mouth from other trainers and customers. Its not worth the money especially since the issue was so small last year. I just do not think it will improve this year, and frankly I did not get offered any incentive to continue the ad. In this economy I would have thought the prices may have been lowered or something...................... sandy
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I agree the prices are outrageous considering that it was a pretty small feature in last year's issue. Even to do a co-op ad with the WPCSA it is $165 I think and all you get is your farm name and website address. Seems like there should be some kind of a special rate especially considering the economy.

Anyone have a ballpark on what a small ad would cost?
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

I think they are the normal prices but I absolutely could be wrong, someone please correct me if I am. A 4 color, 1/3 page ad would be $713 if that is the case. Prices are listed under "advertise" on the site by clicking on media kit.

Ad costs are way too high for the amount of customers they generate (very few).
    Its too bad because as a relatively new breeder I don't have the older ponies out in the show ring. I need to advertise, but right now it just doesn't pay.

Ditto pretty much everything Sandy said

I could justify the cost for a monthly publication, but not for a weekly one. I'm out this time. I did a full page ad last year.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I have also advertised in years past, but do not find it to be effective for the amount it costs, so I too will be skipping this issue this year. I think breeding will still be slow for another year or so at least, and those that are planning to breed, for the most part, probably have their stallions already picked out. JMO
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I could justify the cost for a monthly publication, but not for a weekly one. I'm out this time. I did a full page ad last year.
    Me too! It costs $2,271 US to do a one time full page color ad in the COTH. We did one last year in the COTH for Penrhyn Sporting Chance, but with his stud fee only at $650 CAD, it's hard to justify the expense of a one time weekly ad. Much easier to get those few extra Mare Owners through word of mouth and spend the money on horse shows I'm out this year too.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Guess all of us are together on this Pony Stallion Issue for 2010. Maybe next year they might offer us a better deal. Food for thought, right?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Yikes. I hope someone listens to these complaints or I don't think the special issue will last too long.

I have to agreed. Quality, word of mouth and customer satisfaction has always been the best form of advertisement.
    Take advantage of any publication, locally or regionaly that will promote your stallion's success for free.

We are heading to the GAIG Championships in Williamston, NC next week. Stop by for a visit if you are attending.

www.longviewfarm.us
    home of Stibby-Me,aka Sweet Rock Solid
    German Riding Pony Stallion
    North Carolina