The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Agility!

I've been taking a weekly intro to agility class with my dachshund for about ten weeks now, and it's so much fun! She's almost 10 and came to us with a bad hip and joint problems (she was severely overweight), but since we acquired her four years ago, we got the weight off of her and put her on joint supplements, so she's much healthier and happier now... but I still take it easy with her at the classes. So even though her "jumps" are just the poles on the ground and she can't do a whole lot of climbing, she has a blast with all the stuff that she can do. (: Even though we're never going to be competitive, it's still fun "mommy and me" time for us!

Who else does agility?

I did it with my lab/rottie mix when he was about 2 yo. He LOVED it! I had a blast too. I remember the first day out we were doing small jumps, I tripped over the pole and the instructor laughed and said, I can only help the dog, you're on your own

I do, but have been on a break for about a year, my dog tore her ACL and is recovering from surgery. I am still on the fence if she will ever go back to agility-if she does it will be very very low key. We competed for 3 years in USDAA and CPE. CPE is great for people who are just starting in agility or want to compete but more just want to have fun with their dogs. Just a great group of people.

USDAA is much more serious - fast, hard comepetitive agility. You could always do some NADAC shows in the tunnelers competition with your dog. I never did AKC because my dog is a mix breed, and two venues was enough to cover almost every weekend of shows.

Agility is really addicting and so much fun. I started out doing it once a week with my dog as a bonding experience, and soon was driving all over kingdom come for run-thrus and clinics and matches, and then trials.

I plan on getting a puppy when I sort out somelife issues and have to finances to support another dog. I am torn between an Aussie and a Border collie. My dog now is a ACD/Aussie mix and she was a firecracker on course. She could have been a much better competitor if someone else handled her, but I think almost every person in agility feels that way about their dog!

I am sure you know about Clean Run?

You could totally do NADAC if you ever wanted to get "serious" about it, SarahandSam! Tunnelers (like gloriginger mentioned) and also Hoopers (which is weird and virtually impossible to explain without having a course in front of you) are the "low impact" classes - and they're very fun!

So, of course, I do agility, too - mostly AKC anymore - I did a bit of NADAC when I started out, but now that we have four different AKC clubs on the Eastern Shore that run agility trials, I don't have to travel as far to do AKC. (There's only one NADAC club over here.) I'd like to trial more frequently, but time and money limit me to about one weekend a month trialing.

I have Cardigan Welsh Corgis - one 8+ year old, who I retired this spring, and a 4 year old who I just started trialing with this year - she's awesome - and we'd be more successful if I were able to work with a trainer more regularly! I also have a "baby" dog (another Cardi) who's going to turn 2 next year - we're playing with weave poles now, and I plan on getting her working "over fences" and on contacts in the spring - I think she's pretty well done growing by now, but I want to do everything I can to help her stay sound, so we'll take our time.

Gloriginger - that's a huge bummer about your girl's ACL - I hope that she comes back strong, and that she'll mellow out for you and be able to continue playing at agility. Drivey dogs are a blessing and a curse, aren't they?
    I love Border Collies - I know some wicked good ones! If I didn't have 4 dogs already, I'd be very tempted by a BC.

I did agility with my wonderful rescue Sheltie when I was a teenager. We had an absolute blast! He passed away almost two years ago, but he was a noble dog to the end. I still really miss him.

As soon as I finish grad school (or possibly sooner, if I move for some reason), I'm planning on buying a bred-to-the-nines Sheltie to pick the sport back up with.

While getting him is clearly not in the cards at the moment, I've been drooling over this little guy. How beautiful is he?!

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post

I am sure you know about Clean Run?
    No, what is that?

Thanks for the NADAC recommendations, everyone! I will look that up... it would be super fun to do a competition sometime, just for the heck of it!

Palomino Hunter, that puppy is adorable!

Incidentally, if anyone's closer to WNY, there's a Sheltie breeder locally who recently died and all her dogs, including a bunch of puppies, have to be rehomed or are going to be euthanized--PM me for info!

http://cleanrun.com/

Clean run is a magazine as well as a store for agility stuff. There is also Max200.com for when you get to the point that you realize you must have a mini agility course in your yard, basement or long hallway LOL! (great way to teach weaves...)

That is one really stinking cute Sheltie. I actually have tossed around the idea of a Sheltie too. They can be great agility dogs, they really are the BC of the 12 inch and sometimes 16 inch rings. OFcourse I love Corgi's too. I ran my friends fast little Corgi once (to complete the P1 title no less) and she was so fun, and I wasn't nearly as winded at the end!

Sarah and Sam- there is a woman in VT that has dachsunds that she shows, she owns Muddy Paws. http://muddypawscaninecenter.com/ They do a lot of Teacup agility, http://k9tdaa.com/ which might be something else you could do for competition- I know they have smaller contact obstacles...great for the little dogs. I remember one year at CPE nationals there was a little Chihuahua that was so small she couldn't tip the see-saw so the judge had to go over and give the other end a little push...so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    http://cleanrun.com/

Clean run is a magazine as well as a store for agility stuff. There is also Max200.com for when you get to the point that you realize you must have a mini agility course in your yard, basement or long hallway LOL! (great way to teach weaves...)
    I think I'm going to ask for a subscription to Clean Run for Christmas this year!
    As far as equipment goes:
    A friend of mine swears by madagility.com - says they're cheaper than Max...
    Oh, and tunnels ship for free from countrysideagility.com
    And affordableagility.com has pretty good prices on basic equipment, too.

(I've been contact shopping lately...)

good to know bdj- I know of a few folks that have had nightmarish customer service from Max200- so its good to know there are nice alternatives. I mostly have jumps and a few kiddy tunnels because I live in a condo and can't have a course set up--but that really is the only thing that stopped me!

Thanks for all the new info and links! I definitely want to ask the agility teacher about NADAC, I've heard her mention it before but I had no idea that they had "veteran" divisions and that dachshunds could jump smaller things, plus it doesn't have teeter, which she hates... and the hoops and tunnel classes would be perfect for her. How cool!

Gloriginger, my instructor was telling me about seeing Chihuahuas and little Poms that had to run out to the end of the teeter and slowly ride it down. d;

My coworker just took a class with his dog, I went and watched one and am going to try it! My corgi is 6mo old, so I will probably wait until after the first of the year. In our basic obedience class they have a few agility obstacles, he is already learning to master the A-frame! I don't think I want to compete, but it looks like fun just to do.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I have done agility with my old border collie when he was young. I did a beginner agility class with one of my other border collies but she has such mommy issues that I think we are going to leave it at that. She is a great flyball dog though. I am having a blast with my youngest in agility classes. He is a firecracker! I am going to have to be a much better handler with him than I ever had to be with my old dog...
    "Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit."

Greytown, New Zealand (a blip on the landscape really :))

Yep! And let me tell you obedience training doesnt cross well to agility when your border collie is of "working" lines. She is great at Obedience (just upgraded) - and FAST and not 100% focused in Agility. As far as she is concerned, the course designers simply dont have an idea . She is getting better - but is having a rest at the moment from competing as she sprained her shoulder coming off an A-frame from the top!!! 3rd run of the day ... guess I cant do that many

We're planning to get a GSD puppy this Spring and my stepdaughter is really looking forward to doing "something" with the dog. So we'll do the basic puppy obedience and some more advanced obedience. Then she thinks she wants to do some of the agility work! The best thing is that there's an obedience and agility club about 15-20 minutes away with an indoor facility. We're all excited about what we can do as a family with our dog
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin