The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Roomba??

Anyone have one? Love it?

I started shopping for one and didn't realize there were so many models, and so much $$. What is the difference? Are the pet ones worth the extra money?

Mine would be exclusively on laminate flooring with rugs. We have 2 Jack Russells and I am so sick of vacuuming.

Will a Roomba save me?

I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but I'm sooo interested in the answer. Like you I have two Jack Russells and a hatred of hoovering. Someone, somewhere must have one?!

A work colleague does have one, but she is a neat freak with an immaculate house and no pets. She loves it, but that's not really comparable to my doggy, horsey life.

I've had 4. My higher end model is still alive after 3 years. They do work. I use them inbetween breaking out the dyson. They were a life saver when I had my tennis elbow which turned into 2 arm surgeries. I have 4 cats, and 2 dogs in the house so I did put them to the test. They work on carpeting, tile and wood. Wait for a sale, they used to throw in a free lower end model when you purchased a higher end one. The pet model has different brushes, I didn't think it worked any better.

The scooba mop model is great too.

I usually have a load of laundry going, the crockpot cooking, the roomba vacuuming, the scooba mopping and I'm in the barn

We had one in our office (home office, just my father and I working in there) and it lasted about 2 years before it died. I believe it was $279 at Costco.

It marked up all of the furniture from running into it so much. It didn't do a great job, would get itself trapped in places, etc.

We aren't replacing it with another one. I really wasn't impressed.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    I've had 4. My higher end model is still alive after 3 years.
    What is the model number? I am trying to figure out what model is best, since I have heard that the cheaper ones don't last as long.

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    They work on carpeting, tile and wood.
    The problem I had with mine and the above is that it would collect a lot of animal hair on the bottom, not having totally sucked it up from the wood floor. When it got to the area rug, it would deposit all the hair on the area rug. I then had to get out the real vaccuum and do the area rug.

I really liked it on all carpeted area. Now on a mixed and matched house, not so much.

My parents bought one, and it worked at first but then it kept dying. Now, even after hours of sitting on its charging thing, it will only work for less than 5 minutes. It was handy when it worked though!

I can only imagine the tornado of insanity that would erupt in my house if I unleashed a roomba in the vicinity of my Jack Russell!!

BTW Anyone remember woomba?
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    What is the model number? I am trying to figure out what model is best, since I have heard that the cheaper ones don't last as long.
    Mine is the 530. I've purchased mine through the irobot site. Wait for a sale. They also have a lot of reviews.

do any of you guys have fringe on the rugs, I've been deciding if I wanted one or not, but am concerned w/the fringe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neighland View Post
    do any of you guys have fringe on the rugs, I've been deciding if I wanted one or not, but am concerned w/the fringe!!
    I think that's being discussed in another thread

I looooooooooove my Roomba. But, I think they are fairly unreliable. I've had 2 break now just a few months outside of the 1-year warranty. To buy one cheap, I'd recommend stalking Woot.com and waiting until they have a Roomba deal (happens fairly often, maybe once a month or so?). I bought my latest Roomba for $140 (refurb - but 2 days later they offered a new one at the same price). 530 model.

As for rug fringe, my roomba does a great job of not getting tangled, but it does occasionally tug on the fringes and pull a little bit out. Now I don't know if that's due to the Roomba pulling too hard or due to my rug being crappy (a bottom-bottom end large area rug I got for $50 - read: quite poorly made), but if you have a really nice rug, I'd do a little more research before risking the tassles.

I had a black, old model Roomba that scuffed up my baseboards. With my last 2 newer roombas (white 530s), it hasn't scuffed a thing. Great with stairs, too, and no "roombarf" from depositing crud on my throw rugs.

One recommendation: if you do get one, the AeroBin upgrade part is about $30 and makes the Roomba way more efficient. And when you register your roomba, you get a coupon for some % off accessories.

Now, the cost of this robotic vacuum may stop a lot of people from getting it, but i have to share! We haven't bought one, but I am seriously, seriously considering it.

http://www.neatorobotics.com/

There's a review on one of MrB's tech-y sites that compares the neato to the roomba... The neato basically kicked its butt I wish i could find the vid, but since i just realized/discovered it was OT day, my time this evening will be spent on COTH instead of review-hunting.
    I think the review may have been on engadget but i'm not sure. They highly recommended the neato. it's worth looking into, especially the video filming both the roomba and the neato cleaning a test room.

If we do splurge (joint christmas present to eachother??) and get one, I will be sure to let you guys know next OT day!! :0)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I do not recommend if you have wee children who may try to ride it as mine have. Or a mini DH who tried to take it apart to see how it works. *sigh*
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Now, the cost of this robotic vacuum may stop a lot of people from getting it, but i have to share! We haven't bought one, but I am seriously, seriously considering it.

http://www.neatorobotics.com/
    I just went to this site and ordered one. I should never have opened this thread!

I have always used a Roomba and really like them but they eventually breakdown after a few years (I guess like everything else.) I was really impressed with the reviews of the Neato and will find out if they are true as soon as I get it. . .Unfortunately, it ships out in 3 to 4 weeks which I think is a long time.

Had one - piece of crap in our opinions BUT we had ours about 5 years ago - maybe they have improved. It picked up minute pieces of dirt and some dog hair, but the parts never seemed to fit back together when we tried to clean the little filters and the dirt container. It also sucked up my dogs tail once and got "stuck" there. I was home and she is a tolerant Golden and was just laying there looking at it like "Get this thing off of me!". Never worked on carpets so we only used it on hardwoods.

The big problem was when we tried to have it repaired, no one could repair it. Our house now has TONS of hardwoods, and with 3 dogs I am sometimes tempted to try one again....but honestly 5 minutes of regular vacuuming with my Oreck picks everything up and is less annoying then trying to keep the Roomba put together.

I hope the newer ones have improved!!

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    My parents bought one, and it worked at first but then it kept dying. Now, even after hours of sitting on its charging thing, it will only work for less than 5 minutes. It was handy when it worked though!
    Did they unplug it between charges? These little suckers must stay plugged in or the battery will not fully charge. If they must be unplugged, pull the battery out.

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    It also sucked up my dogs tail once and got "stuck" there. I was home and she is a tolerant Golden and was just laying there looking at it like "Get this thing off of me!". Never worked on carpets so we only used it on hardwoods.
    That image resulted in the worst coffee-inhalation episode I have EVER experienced! Several people at work just came running, convinced I was in my death throes.