The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daylight Savings Time--Yay, or nay?

I was reading an article yesterday that said scientists and health professionals in Britain, US, and Canada are thinking of doing away with the autumn resetting of the clocks, because that is the time of year when illness rises. Their thought is that by leaving the clocks alone, people will be more apt to stay out during the afternoons, get more vitamin D into their bones (how that happens through parkas and hats I don't know), and remain in better health throughout the year. Sporting groups are giving it the thumbs up.

I hate the early afternoon darkness, so I am at the point where I would like everyone to leave the clocks alone, too.

Any thoughts on this?

Me too. I find it horribly confusing. It screws me up for weeks.

I really hope it happens. I love Daylight Savings time.

People can get enough sun to manufacture vit D just from getting sun on their faces.

Hate when they change clocks back!! I have to push all my lessons to weekends as not enough time to get them in after school/work for most people. Plus am feeding and it's dark! We are exploring getting some lights in part of my arena, but doubt will be enough to do more than flatwork after dark, plus most people just don't want to deal with after dark riding/lessons espcially since a lot of mine are haul in lessons!

Leave the clocks alone!
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Just to clarify, Daylight Savings time begins in March and ends next weekend. Then we are on standard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    I was reading an article yesterday that said scientists and health professionals in Britain, US, and Canada are thinking of doing away with the autumn resetting of the clocks, because that is the time of year when illness rises. Their thought is that by leaving the clocks alone, people will be more apt to stay out during the afternoons, get more vitamin D into their bones (how that happens through parkas and hats I don't know), and remain in better health throughout the year. Sporting groups are giving it the thumbs up.

I hate the early afternoon darkness, so I am at the point where I would like everyone to leave the clocks alone, too.

Any thoughts on this?
    I'm happy that Daylight Savings Time has been extended -- and I would be totally happy if we stayed on DST instead of going back to standard time in the fall.

Daylight Savings Time = good!!! Would love to stay on that clock year-round. I'm already getting grumpy about the upcoming "fall back" to Standard Time next weekend.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I've always hated daylight savings time. It seems I never see my horses in the daylight except on weekends. Feed in the morning in the dark, then it's already dark when I get home, or nearly so anyway.

I'm definitely more active in the afternoons when there is more daylight.

So I'm all for doing away with it.

Saidapal, DST is from March to November. Then we are back to standard time. But we think alike.

Leave the clocks alone!

I hate the fall time change. It's so depressing. Already - it's dark here before 7. There's no way I'll be able to ride in the daylight after work after the time change.

Saidapal, DST is from March to November. Then we are back to standard time. But we think alike.

Leave the clocks alone!
    Huh, I thought it was to save daylight in the winter. Just goes to show you learn something new every day LOL.

Still hate it.l

I love Daylight Savings Time..I despise winter and it getting dark early just makes it that much worse for me.

Land of the Maple Leaf & Tim Horton's Coffee

Thumbs up

Any thoughts on this?
    Totally agree. Winter's tough enough without getting dark so early - so depressing.
    “Your appearance should reflect the care you take in every aspect of your horsemanship... feeding, grooming... everything you do, from the barn to the show ring. Class, people, class…" George Morris

I think it was back when Richard Nixon was in office they did Daylight Savings for the entire year to help with energy costs. The govt said that it only saved 1% of energy costs. I guess I always looked at that by saying 1% is better than 0%.

The days get shorter and shorter so why shorten them any more for the working class. When I built my barn I had lights installed for my outdoor ring so I could ride well into November and even Dec and Jan, weather permitting and not have to ride indoors. I'm retired now so I don't really care. My horses know they get fed breakfast about the time the sun comes up and then dinner about 10 hrs later give or take 30 minutes. IF we don't change it, I don't have to adjust their evening dinner schedule as AM schedule is always around sun up.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I think it was back when Richard Nixon was in office they did Daylight Savings for the entire year to help with energy costs. The govt said that it only saved 1% of energy costs. I guess I always looked at that by saying 1% is better than 0%.

The days get shorter and shorter so why shorten them any more for the working class.
    The idea is to have daylight in the mornings when children are going to school, people going to work etc.
    Btw, moving the clocks back doesn't shorten the days, there is still the same amount of daylight.

As others have stated, Daylight Saving time is actually in the summer, i.e what the clocks are on right now. What we are switching back to is Standard Time.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Btw, the main reason DST was introduced was so that people could benefit from the extra hour of sunlight in the SUMMER time. The thinking was that rather than having that hour wasted in the early morning when everyone is sleeping, that changing the clocks allowed people to avail of that hour of sunlight on nice summer evenings.

Perhaps instead of changing clocks, we should change our schedules to follow the daylight throughout the year.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Time is an artificial construct as it is. I grew up in Arizona, where the time does not change. Even after 18 years here, it still seems weird to reset the clocks. Leave it at DST year-round.

It always depresses me when we go to Standard Time, but I love when Daylight Saving Time starts in the spring. It's so much easier to get up in the morning when it's light outside.

Huh, I always like that extra hour sleep in fall. And I don;t mind the early darkness...it's just always been part of winter. As someone who works outside most of the time it's kind of nice having an enforced stop time earlier so I can relax before the whole dinner rush/everyone out of work and school thing.
    Okay, so the first week of standard time it feels like midnight around dinner time and I want to go to bed, LOL! But I adjust.

And then it makes the later sunsets in late spring all the more enjoyable IMO.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte