The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy facts of life :(

i met this woman last year. early fifties. rode horses while in college. then gave it all up to raise a family. when family stuff was done she started riding again and couple of years ago came upon an OTTB in the hands of some shady characters. so she bought the horse. she wasn't much into training her to go in frame, but loved to canter her around the arena (activity frowned upon by other boarders/trainers b/c the horse was all inverted).

yesterday, i found out the owner was diagnosed with cancer and has to find a home for this mare. i cannot imagine the heartbreak. it was so clear to me how much she loves that mare. and now not only is she facing her own demise but has to worry about finding a good home for her beloved animal.

i understand that's how life goes sometimes but also sometimes i wish it didn't...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

That is such a shame, hopefully she can find a placing and still be able to see the mare while she is dealing with her cancer. Thinking positive thoughts.

I am sorry that your friend has to go through this. I was in that same situation two years ago and that was why I bought my horse. It was the only thing on my "bucket list". There were some days I couldn't ride and others where all I could do was a little walk in the woods. It is what it is and you do what you can.

Many people on this forum have had cancer, chemo, radiation the works and still kept riding. Its doable and lets one keep a sense of normal fun during an otherwise stressful time. You might want to have your friend read Leena's thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=259284 in the Equestrians with Disabilities forum.

I did and still do have a plan for my horse should my condition worsen to the point I can't ride. But I think everyone should have a plan for their horse, accidents happen and many horse owners have non horsey DH's who wouldn't know the first thing about what to do with the horse.

i don't know for sure but i believe that her cancer may be in advanced stages and spread throughout the body. i have not seen her in nearly a year and have no idea what kind of physical condition she is in right now.

based on what i've heard, i think she's trying to place her before it's too late.

she's relatively new to the horse ownership. i wonder if she ever considered what might happen to the horse if she wasn't around to care for it.

Help her find a home for her much loved mare, this will ease the hardship she is facing. Call her, talk to her about the mare, and post on the COTH. Maybe someone here can provide a good home. It could be a blessing, like jnel's story, someone here could be emerging from cancer treatment and has always wanted to own a horse.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I was also going to suggest reading Leena's thread and I'm glad someone else posted a link.

If she is trying to place mare, then maybe see what you can do to help. I think that many of us would be more concerned what happens to our animals and loved ones than ourselves.

Sorry your friend is going through this.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

thanks for posting the link to leena's thread.
    i remember reading it when it first began but not since.
    she's amazing.
    i sent a link to her thread to my friend.

I second posting on here. COTH is pretty amazing when it comes to animals and people in need of help.

Prayers for your friend.