The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shoeing on a horse with stifle problems

I have a horse with stifle issues and I have heard shoeing plays a big part in helping a horse with stifle problems. He has a very low heal (typical tbred feet) and has a wedge pad up front but just shoes behind... any suggestions?

I try to keep the back toes short and square - this and regular steel shoes work for my horse. When the toes get long/round, he trips more.

Hey, this is a bit of an offshoot... but Estrone injections help IMMENSELY with slipping stifles. It tightens up the loose muscles that let it slip. That and with proper shoeing, you horse may be good to go. Ask your vet.

My gelding with bad stifles is shod with a squared off toe (as bellboots mentioned) and a trailer on both shoes. Our farrier custom forms them and then hot sets them. They made a big difference for him for quite a while. I can get a picture of them if it would be helpful.

make sure the toe is squared, and sometimes a small wedge will help as well. I second asking your vet about Estrone.

hunterrider33 in gray

I have a horse with stifle issues and I have heard shoeing plays a big part in helping a horse with stifle problems. He has a very low heal (typical tbred feet) and has a wedge pad up front but just shoes behind... any suggestions?

YMMV, they're all slightly different, but stifle problems usually respond favorably to increased angulation and enhanced turnover. Half rounds with boxed (not square) toes, set under as far as possible are pretty much SOP; if one is extremely uncomfortable, add bar wedge pads, but pads on hinds tend to get nasty in a hurry for obvious reasons.

You'll note that while trimming/shoeing your horse, your farrier will keep the hoof as close to the ground and directly under your horse's point of hip as he can - that's because that's the most comfortable position for a horse with stifle or hock problems. Keep that in mind when you pick out your horse's feet, it'll make the job much easier.
    Last edited by Tom Stovall; Oct. 31, 2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Unfavorable planetary alignment.
    Tom Stovall, CJF
    No me preguntes cualquier preguntas, yo te diré no mentiras.

My guy had a sticky stifle and really does best barefoot behind with a rolled toe.

Default Good thread ~ very informative and helpful ~ Thanks ~

Very informative thread ~ thanks for posting ~ nice to know I have been handling my "sticky stifle" mare correctly ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

My gelding used to be shod with sqaure toes and trailers as well, and now he's barefoot and doing better than he was when he had shoes.