The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to tie horse in a slant load?

I've recently switched from a straight load to a slant load and have a few questions about how to tie in the slant.

My trailer is 7'6" tall and the tie rings are set up high. Does anyone sell extra long trailer ties? The ones I have are too short.

Where do I clip the tie to the halter? If I clip to the ring under the chin, the tie seems to hang up on the horse's head or ears. Someone said I should be clipping the tie to the side of the halter. What is best?

With the horse tied, it prevents him from lowering his head to clear his airway. Do people ever haul untied? I have solid dividers (hate them) and my horses keep trying to look over them and see their buddy if I leave them untied.

How do you like the corner feeders? I don't have any and am using small haybags, but they seem to get in the way. How does the horse put his head down with the corner feeders in place?

Thanks in advance. I miss my straight load.... and am fantasizing even more than ever about that Hawk 2+1.

I never tie my horses unless I have one that gets in trouble in the trailer by investigating everything underneath the partitions and may himself caught and in trouble. They eventually learn it is best to keep their heads up when the trailer is moving.
    My horses are in the the trailer daily, so it is very routine. I throw the rope over their neck and they selfload.

I always have my horses head tied when hauling. I bought a bungee ties and are at least 3' long, plus the bungee has alot of give. It has a bull snap on one end and a panic snap on the other. I keep the panic snap on the halter. The horse can definitely get its head down to do whatever.

Mine get hauled quite a bit too.

Even if I am parked and they are waiting in the trailer, I drop the window, and they can hang their head out, but they are always still tied on the bungee. I have found horses get into mischief if they have their heads free. Like my gelding chewing on another horses foot, and legs, eating hay from the floor which prompted the mare to KICK the crap out of my trailer wall. I also do not want their heads down if I have to make a fast stop or something.

I got mine at the local yocal feed store. Love them. I use them also in my barn. Got four of them.

I have a straight load, but I always clip the trailer tie to the side of the halter for the reason you mentioned.

I have just basic trailer ties I bought from Dover, and they're adjustable such that I bet they would have no problem reaching down even to a pony from 7'6" - I have them on their shortest possible adjustment in my straight load and it can still be a bit too long for my liking. Horses can still reach down just fine.

I use the turtle snap trailer ties. They are very adjustable and safe, the turtle snaps are great.

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-28685

I also snap them to the side of the halter. I only use them so the horse cannot try to turn around (which I have had happen). I also teach my horses to stand quietly tied in the trailer and wait for me to close or open the divider to untie them.

Depending on the size of the horse, I do sometimes tie to the side of the halter up by the cheek rather than at the nose. Mostly I just don't want the horse to think it can turn around in the stall.

I use a rope like this in my trailer We bought the cross tie version (sold it sets of two for less than two of the shorter ties) so lots of room for us to adjust, and could trim the extra if we wanted...but haven't so far.

Really like these as if the horse gets in a bad wreck, the snap opens and the horse has its head free.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I always have my horses head tied when hauling. I bought a bungee ties and are at least 3' long, plus the bungee has alot of give. It has a bull snap on one end and a panic snap on the other. I keep the panic snap on the halter. .
    I don't attach the panic snap to the horse. If a horse is truly panicking, rearing, pulling back, I'm not going to want to try to get to, or be near it's head. I attach the panic snap to the ring I'm tying to. I know it's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    I don't attach the panic snap to the horse. If a horse is truly panicking, rearing, pulling back, I'm not going to want to try to get to, or be near it's head. I attach the panic snap to the ring I'm tying to. I know it's not going anywhere.
    When tying with other than a leadrope, to fixed ties, like cross ties or some trailer ties, I put a panic snap on both ends, so you can unsnap the tie from either side, the halter if you are putting a lead or the other end if in a pinch.

I like the safety ties that have the velcro in the middle. I have these as my crossties. Panic snap attaches to wall ring, regular snap to halter. If the horse panics, the crossties pull apart. This leaves about a foot of the tie still attached to the halter, but no snap to take out an eye, or cross tie to chase them around. I have these as my trailer tie also.

I just use a regular old leadrope as a trailer tie. I leave the leadropes tied in the trailer and just snap the horse in by the side ring on the halter. This way I have back up lead ropes if needed. I have the triangular feed things for the slant load trailer. I think they work better than hay bags or nets for slant loads. Personally, I like my straight load trailer better than the slant load as it gives my big guys more room. But if I need to take 3 horses, I need the extra room of the slant load.

I used to have a 4H slant. I did not tie my horses, and did not use hay nets. I would pile hay on the floor in the front of the stalls. I kept extra hay in the dressing room so I could toss another flake or two in if they pawed it underneath their bellies, which sometimes happens.

I like them to be able to lower their heads when traveling. I think it is healthier. I also hate hay nets. The slant is good for both. You might learn to like it!

Thank you SO much for all the great info and links! I truly appreciate it!!

I also don't tie, and don't use hay or corner feeders as we only haul very short distances so far. He gets his hay bag while we are grooming/tacking up on side of trailer.

Am I missing a trick? I tie mine with their leadropes to string fastened through the ring.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Am I missing a trick? I tie mine with their leadropes to string fastened through the ring.
    Do you mean a string like bale and twine? I've done that with cross ties also.

I stopped using the corner feeders after a horse got her leg in it and had to be cut out. Only happened once, but this horse was a good hauler and thankfully didn't freak out. Now we tie hay bags up higher.

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Do you mean a string like bale and twine? I've done that with cross ties also.
    Yep.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I use Blocker Tie Rings in my slant load, and simply put the lead rope in it, make it as long as I want. That way there is some give on the rope (unlike a normal trailer tie) if they should slip or need to get their head down for balance, big coughs etc. Almost don't really need to tie at all, if I'm going to use that, except my mare likes to get her head over the partition to check out her buddy, then gets stuck...gotta tie.

When I used the normal ties before, I used baling twine to secure them to the trailer ring, so that if something happened the twine would break. It also allows you to make the tie longer that way, if you're going to use those.

I tie to the side of the halter,whichever side the tie ring is on. I use hay nets that I hang fairly low (not near feet, but not near eye) so they want to stretch down a bit to eat.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I do this also....I also unfortunately have a 3 horse slant load that only works as a 2 horse for my 17.2 hand big guy and 16 hand little guy.....Had to remove a partition cause no way no how will a Big horse fit into a single slot of the slant load and be comfortable, or be able to put this head anywhere but up because he's be too long to close the partition...

Mine is a Hart trailer...and I love it, but would really like one of those 2 + 1's!!!!!

Oh, Watermark -- another few tips if you want to try hauling without tying:

My horses all learned to self load. I would open the windows, which would cause them to load very willingly. I would walk them up, put the rope on their backs, they jump in, stick their heads out the windows, and then I can shut them in. The open window makes such an inviting space in a slant load. They don't feel so much like they are getting shut up in a coffin.

Then I walk around and take the lead ropes off. I always haul with snug halters, and of course always in leather or breakaway in case they snag it on something. After they have a chance to look around a bit and settle, I push their heads in and then close the windows. They notice the lovely hay on the floor and are happy (I give them them the best hay when traveling). I close up the most experienced horse first so the newer ones get the idea of what they are supposed to do in there (chill and eat hay, not act like a fool). Nobody ever tried to fight under the partitions or otherwise get into trouble.

I hauled big horses in a regular sized slant all the way from WV to Florida and back comfortably this way. I think people hate slants because they do strain the horses if they have to hold their heads up and can't move around, but with the freedom to raise and lower their heads and stretch their backs at will, my big horses have always been very comfortable -- walked off the trailer after 16 hours happy as a clam. Only up to 16.3 though, a 17.2er would probably need 2 spaces.