The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magnesium Supplements Increasing Risk Of Enteroliths?

Do magnesium supplements increase the risk of enteroliths? Would it make sense that they might given that high levels of magnesium in the drinking water and high levels of magnesium in alfalfa hay has been implicated as a potential risk factor for enteroliths? I know magnesium supplements are all the rage now, but might we be seeing this problem more in the future because of it?

Well I shudder to say this because we all know what happens but...

I have been supplementing magnesium for ten years now, more horses than I can remember. I feed alfalfa too. Never had an issue with it.

Fingers crossed.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Do you live in California by any chance? Its of greatest concern to Arabian owners who live in California, I don't think enteroliths are seen as commonly in other parts of the country.

Nope, NC. No Arabs either. I do have a friend who breeds them here, feeds only alfalfa hay as a protein source and supplements magox, no issues. I wonder if the problem is local?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I'm in NorCal and we had an Arab at my barn that had to be euthanized due to an enterolith. I believe they said it was something like the size of an orange or grapefruit? We have a lot of arabs at our barn (including my horses) and most of our arabs are on a grass hay diet, no alfalfa. However, several are on calming supps that contain magnesium (not mine). It is a calculated risk. I prefer to pay more for a non mag calming supp.