The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wintec 2000 seat sizing help

I'm looking into a Wintec 2000 for cross-country-type crosstraining for my primarily dressage horse (my saddle fitter thinks it will be a good fit for my guy).

I'm looking for advice on seat size. It's been a long time since I've bought anything other than a dressage saddle, and mine are all deep-seated and run smaller so I don't think they make good comparisons.

I'm 5'9" with a pretty long leg and about 125 lbs; I think my leg length will be more the issue than butt size. My dressage saddles are all 18s. I emailed with one person about a used Wintec 2000 - she said she's 5'10" and fits fine into a 17. But someone else told me she thought I'd be happier in a 17.5.

I found a good deal, and though it's returnable, that's a pain - so I'm trying to make my best-informed guess before I order (can't find anyone at my barn with one of these). Anyone have any experience with these saddles and any advice on how the seat sizing runs?

Thanks!

I'm 5'8" and ride in a 17.5, which fits pretty well. I have an 18" in the 500 which is pretty roomy. I definitely would not fit a 17".
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I am 5'2" but heavier than you are. I ride in a 17.5 for dressage. I recently test rode a 2000 and I rode in the 17.5. It just fit, so I wouldn't go down a size.

It can depend on how long your thighbone is - I have long legs - 35 inch inseam and a lot of it is in my thigh. So 18 inch saddles work for me. I

had an 18 inch wintec 2000 and it worked really well. Have ridden in a 17.5 inch which was ok, but felt a little cramped. Wouldn't think half an inch would be such a big deal!

I'm 5'6" with long legs and feel kinda cramped in my wintec close contact and it's a 17.5". I would be much happier with an 18". I've used CC saddles from sizes 16.5" - 18". I had someone argue with me that my 17.5" was NOT a 17.5" saddle (but it is). If there is a tack store near you that carries this saddle or one like it, I suggest trying it first. Then you can order what seat size you need.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Based on the comments here, it sounds like the 17.5 is probably the size most likely to fit me. So since I don't have a tack store nearby to try one out, I'll just order that size and keep my fingers crossed - if it doesn't work, I can send it back.

Looking forward to getting it - I've always walk-hacked my guys regularly, and a dressage saddle is fine for that, but now that I am trying to actually make some trotting and cantering on terrain a regular part of our schedule, the dressage saddle is pretty tough going - when the stirrups are short enough for a correct two-point my knees are way over the thigh blocks, and the saddle just isn't made for stability in that position.

Now I'll just have to get my quads used to all that posting in short stirrups!

Personally, for jumping, I prefer the Wintec Pro Jump. I think it's a nicely balanced saddle for the $$, especially if you can find one used.

The seat is pretty flat which gives you some flexibility. I am nearly 6' tall with a long femur and it works okay for me. I'd prefer the flap to be a tad more forward but the 17.5" is okay and it's balanced enough for flatting.

I foxhunt in mine and find it to be very comfortable.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

If you have long legs, you won't fit well in this saddle. Even a moderate jumping length stirrup will put your knee over the flap. I am oh so familiar with this problem. But something that is built more like a close contact/jumping saddle, like the Pro Jump, Collegiate, Thoroughgood, etc...

I'm going to start with this one, because this is the model my saddle fitter thinks will best fit my horse (the new Wintec 2000, which I think came out earlier this year (?), is flatter and better suited to flatter warmblood backs than the older version, which had more of a curve from front to back - again according to my saddle fitter).

I am not planning to do any jumping - this is just for fitness work on terrain, trotting and cantering on hacks and in fields. I just need to be able to get into a solid two point and have a saddle to give me some security for that. So I won't need my stirrups short enough for jumping.

I've gone ahead and placed the order - will just have to wait and see and hope the flaps fit my leg reasonably well!