The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    FWIW, two houses in our subdivision were up for sale. One for $550k had a nice 3 acre pasture and a detatched garage that could be turned into a 3 stall barn.
    The other was $650K, 4 stall barn run in shed fenced and cross fenced with ring and inground pool.

Which took a year longer to sell?
    No takers?

the one with out the ring
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

if it is a full sized dressage arena; it could be marketed as a competition volleyball court as you could easily put six volleyball courts in there

If all other things were equal, I would say to NOT put the arena near the house. The biggest reason being dust--unless you are putting in high end footing or a super expensive irrigation system, there will be dust. The second reason is privacy. Will you be the only one riding in the ring? If so, then that's not a big deal, but what if you ever decide to have a boarder or let a friend keep their horse at your house? Thirdly, looks. This one depends on what your landscaping looks like, but if you put the arena next to your house you might need to budget some extra money to make the ring have a nice appearance.

Now, that having been said, your other location doesn't sound so ideal either. Drainage is a BIG issue, I'd be careful about putting a ring at the bottom of a hill.

Default grass ring

this may be a good "for now" option, that allows me to decide if I want to put in fancy footing later -- minimal grading, I can plant the grass, and all it requires is shifting the end fence down about 100 feet. Low cost, fast immediate solution and a trial run on the location.... So nice to have your input.....

And, if I didn't like it there I could work on the "woods" arena later on.

Good point re: a jumping ring -- unfortunately, width is my limiting factor in the area by the house.

And, I was so looking forward to that cushy footing when I did an unplanned dismount...... Guess that will have to wait!

Now, for your wisdom..... how do you keep a grass ring from getting a worn area around the edges? Do you just harrow and drag alot, re-seed frequently or is there another secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
    I was so looking forward to that cushy footing when I did an unplanned dismount...... Guess that will have to wait!
    Oooh, hey - that's the best reason I've heard yet for convincing DH that I need new hi-tech cushy footing! For my unplanned dismounts! THANK YOU!!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

After years of dithering we have decided to put in a small dressage ring.We will be taking a chunk out of the pasture by the road and house. It is the highest and flattest piece of property and still slopes 42 inches across the short side.

We will be probably adding felt to help retain water but I know it probably won't be enough. Last week we went to the Equine Extravaganza and looked at a water waggon. It holds 300 gallons, can be filled from our pond and costs about $3200 I can pull it with our 26 hp Kuybota and also use it to water shrubs etc.

We could have built it at the bottom of our hill but I don't think I would use it there. The ring probably would have been cheaper but I like riding up where people can see me in case of an accident. By not adding a permanent watering system it can be converted nack to grass fairly easily.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post

Now, for your wisdom..... how do you keep a grass ring from getting a worn area around the edges? Do you just harrow and drag alot, re-seed frequently or is there another secret?
    Don't ride the track in endless boring loops. Stay off the rail and do figures. I have never understood the mentality of endless rail or 20 meter circle riding -- training by boring your horse to death?

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you need is some PVC pipe to mark corners and some letters on sticks and you're in business.

G.
    Especially if you are planning on selling anytime soon. The ring won't add much, if ANY value to the property.

Whatever you do, can I move in?

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I was going to suggest putting a diamond in it or something.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    Especially if you are planning on selling anytime soon. The ring won't add much, if ANY value to the property.
    I would agree, generally speaking. Adding a ring only appeals to a VERY small segment of buyers when you go to sell (i.e., horse people). Average buyers see a ring, particularly an indoor, as a negative.

An outdoor is no biggie...that's easy to bulldoze over.