The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Thumbs down BEWARE ordering from Equestrian Collections

I got an email with a coupon for a really great one day sale at Equestrian Collections.

After four HOURS of trying to find out how the sizing went on the different styles of jackets, (some were in regular clothing sizes, some in sizes comparable to ordering show shirts) not being able to find it anywhere... and then going OVER AND OVER the return policy, I figured at those prices I'd better order and return what didn't fit. Return policy is pretty straightforward and clear.

Ordered three jackets, three different brands/styles/sizes. Szs 20, 40 & 42.

Get the order today, jackets are great--one (the 20) was an 1824 jacket I bought back when it WAS the real 1824, in size 24, for close to $150, but shrunk out of. That one fits perfectly and was around $25. Good so far.

The other two... one fits well and should be a keeper, the other not so much.

The enclosed slip says "Returns on Outlet items for store credit only."

I just spent anther 45 minutes on the website, and cannot find that ANYWHERE. I would NOT have ordered the way I did!

I'm going to attempt to speak to a supervisor/manager on Monday. If anyone finds that return policy on the website, I'd be grateful for it to be pointed out.

I feel stupid. I've always felt like a semi-savvy online shopper. I'm out $80 on the jacket. I might just suck it up and try to resell. It's a lovely jacket, just not what I wanted--and I would NOT have ordered if I knew I couldn't return for purchase price. There's little else there I'd want to spend that $$ on.

Caveat Emptor.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I don't like this vendor.

smacks of a den of teenagers running a company out of mom and dad's garage.

I've always found the site fairly annoying to navigate.

Sadly, they took over 1824.

I guess I'll stick with RJ Classics and The Collection. (Robin Petix)

So much for 'saving' money.

Dealing with them right now myself and it's been a pain. Made an order, product was sent to the wrong apartment in my complex. Had to deal with the crazy guy who lives there to get my stuff. Called them to correct my address as they still had a second item for me - address not updated, second package goes to crazy guy's house.

Had to return the boots I ordered from them due to a bad zipper (not their fault), put a note in the box that asked them to call me to confirm receipt of the boots, to update the address and provide me with a tracking number. No word from them. Ended up calling them today, replacement boots had been sent which is cool - but OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO CAPTAIN CRAZY'S PLACE. They are getting the correct address to UPS, but I don't anticipate buying anything through them again.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    If anyone finds that return policy on the website, I'd be grateful for it to be pointed out.
    It's on the sidebar of the "Outlet" page:

About Equestrian Collections Outlet

20-70% off hundreds of one of a kind items from all your favorite brands - Ariat, Mountain Horse, Ovation, TuffRider and more!

These are all first quality which may have minor imperfections. ONE OF A KIND - so if you want it, put it in your cart fast. It is unlikely that we have more than one of these great bargain items. Returnable for Store Credit only. First come are first served. No Rainchecks. Products change often, so check back regularly. Happy Shopping!

I ordered a pair of tall boots from them once and got confirmation of the order, all that jazz. I waited patiently for them to arrive...they never came. So I had to contact them to ask what was up. They say "oh, we don't have that size anymore. Do you want something else?" I was perplexed, because if they didn't HAVE the boots, why was I not notifed...and how could they be so casual.

I could always give a second chance I guess, but there are so many other tack stores who don't mess up, so I took my business elsewhere.

Along with Adams Horse Supply, EQC falls under the crummy online tack store.

Whoever designed the website was stoned out of his ever-loving mind. I emailed them about 4 times asking why they don't have a search engine. Finally they put one in, only to make the site so chaotic and frustrating to navigate.

Thumbs down.

damn, Albion, thank you...

I was quite literally back there for the last half hour trying to find out where it says that.

Damn.

Caveat Emptor.

I've never ordered anything from EC (and have seen all the negative reviews here, thus probably wouldn't), but I generally associate 'really great sale' = 'no returns' - not even store credit (even with reputable companies I've never had problems with!). Still, sorry you're stuck with a jacket you don't need.

and that's why it is nice to support your local store and go in and "touch and feel" the product before you buy it.Then you won't have to complain that "it's not right " to the rest of the world.But then your local store might not exist any more because you could get the product slightly cheaper by purchasing online.(just my opinion)
    mm

well, some of us live where there is no local store.

Never was.

Too rural.

We used to travel 5 hrs to State Line in Plaistow, NH, or when I was down at my parents I'd go to the original Dover in Wellsley, MA.

I'm all for local, if there is.

Ah, that sucks. For me, I just used the credit to get another jacket.

I'm surprised by all the negative reviews. I also live in a place with zero english tack or riding supplies. Literally nothing in my state for the english rider. I've purchased stuff from Equestrian Collections with no trouble at all. And they're the only place (other than Dressage Extensions) I've found online that doesn't charge and arm and a leg for shipping. I haven't ordered from Dover/Stateline since they charged me more than my actual order with their shipping costs.
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

I have to say that I just ordered from Valley Vet.
    I have ordered before and always been pleased with the products and service.

This time, the item came from the manufacturer and was very cheap and defective and no invoice in the box.
    Called VV and they said no problem, send it back to the manufacturer.
    Item is 36# and FedEx wants $130+ freight, on a $99 item, $500+ if rush order.
    Tried UPS and they wanted $53.

Called VV and they e-mailed shipping label and item was sent for a fraction of those figures.

I still can't figure these high prices to ship, but Valley Vet did come thru with excellent service the minute they heard of my problems.

Why don't you try talking to someone?
    They may make an exception, if they see that you honestly didn't see their return specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by myrna View Post
    and that's why it is nice to support your local store and go in and "touch and feel" the product before you buy it.Then you won't have to complain that "it's not right " to the rest of the world.But then your local store might not exist any more because you could get the product slightly cheaper by purchasing online.(just my opinion)
    To find any English tack or clothes "local" around here, you need to drive 6 1/2 hours to Dallas.

PP- don't you live in Maine? Several years ago there used to be a tack shop right outside Freeport but it is a big state. Should be closer than Dover though.

Huh, that's surprising. I don't particularly like their site and it picks and chooses when it wants to work in firefox, but I've ordered from their quite a bit and never had any problems. I've never tried to return anything though, so maybe that's why. Then again... I have ordered successfully from Horseloverz and have never had a problem with them, so I must just have good luck.

Hate that site...cluttered, can't find what you are looking for.

I have always had good service from Equestrian Collections. Last winter I ordered and returned three or four pairs of winter paddock boots until I found the right size to fit me with all the extra wool socks, and they patiently just kept taking the boots back and sending out more, promptly.

The site could use a redesign, I agree, but I have had not problems with products or service.

PP, put the coat on eBay - you might even make some extra $$ on it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by kellidahorsegirl View Post
    I ordered a pair of tall boots from them once and got confirmation of the order, all that jazz. I waited patiently for them to arrive...they never came. So I had to contact them to ask what was up. They say "oh, we don't have that size anymore. Do you want something else?" I was perplexed, because if they didn't HAVE the boots, why was I not notifed...and how could they be so casual.

This has been my experience (2X) and why I don't use them anymore.