The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Help! I have a gift certificate! What to get?!

I cannot remember the last time I had money to spend on whatever I want! But, my boyfriend's parents got me a $100 gift certificate to the local tack shop for my birthday, and I haven't a clue what to get and I've been holding onto it for a month already (although I do have a year to use it). They can order pretty much anything so my options are not limited to what's in stock.

I would love some suggestions! I have the $100 gift certificate and I'm willing to spend another $100 of my own money...so $200 total.

Things in the running so far:
    - Herm Sprenger Bow Balance Stirrups (I have horrible knee pain in my right knee and my feet go numb all the time!)
    - Eskadron Ankle/Hind Boots (I already have the original Eskadron open front FRONT boots)

Oh.. and if one more person tells me to just give it to them...

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

No, you can keep it, Rochester is too far to drive.

I'd go for the Sprenger stirrups. I have the original 4-way which got rid of knee and hip pain almost instantly. They are top-rated as a safety stirrup, too, and I have benefitted greatly from that feature. I also invested in the newer style leathers from Prestige that are wrapped and stitched, rather than just a long strip of leather. A very comfortable combination. Now if I could just stop the march of time... I admit to taking a handful of advil most mornings before I head to the barn.

I actually don't know what I'd do with a gift certificate. I have so much stuff now I'm actually consigning some of it at a nearby store.

I always spend money I receive unexpectedly (bonus, gift, winnings) for something I've been wanting and didn't have the money for. Books I've been wanting, a browband that would normally be out of my price range that I've been drooling over, a pretty saddle pad to use for clinics and other special occasions. Also, earrings, a new tie pin for shows....go browse the store and don't look at things you need, look for something you've been wanting and haven't had the money for. Then show them what you got and tell them how much you appreciate being able to afford something so nice, thanks to them.

Don't let yourself feel guilty for spending it frivolously - it's a gift. If the stirrups are something you normally wouldn't buy - go for it!

Go for the stirrups! I've been dying to try those forever. But I already have the $40 knockoff flexi-stirrups and just can't justify the expense right now!

I hope you love them!

I'd go for the stirrups. I love my knock-off flex stirrups (but can't personally justify spending so much on the Sprengers).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

just my recomendation, but [B]DON'T[B] go with the sturrups. I have bad ankles, my mom has horrible knees and they are hell. Literally, I can't ride in them. So if you like them, I would 1. borrow some from a friend and try them or 2. make sure you can return them if you don't like them.

I also know someone who used to ride in them, her leg was going numb, but she thought it was just because she was over flexing her ankle. nope. she rode in regular stirrups one day and her leg didn't go numb.

Now what would I get.....hmmm....I don't know. I'll get back to you on that one.