The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My new saddle cost me more than my horse - Update & Request for Advice

I just ordered my Christmas present from my husband (we can't be the only ones that do that, right?) and I'm a bit in shock. It's perhaps a huge splurge (of course it is) but if it fits Travis I'll own a saddle that cost me more than my horse.

This is the new saddle - a McCall Lady Wade with 15.5" seat. Not custom ordered as I need a saddle that fits now, not in 4 months...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/notsour...ry/5121742657/

Description by the saddle maker:
    http://mccallsaddle.com/lady_wade.php

Anyone else?
    Last edited by UrbanHennery; Nov. 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM.

I'm having a custom Prestige dressage saddle made in Italy right now. It should be here the 2nd week in November!

When all is said and done, with the cost of the farm call for the fitter to come out and take measurements, my custom short flaps and big thigh blocks, etc...it will end up costing about $300 less than my horse did.

Totally worth it though!

ETA: I don't know anything about western saddles, but that one looks pretty nice! My experience with western saddles is checking out those ones with silver everything...
    Last edited by UnoIsMyHorse; Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: More to say

Don't know much about Western saddles, but it's a beaut!!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I've had several saddles that cost more than my horses!

Currently, though, I'm riding my $300 horse in a $300 saddle . Of course, I have five other saddles in my tack room. Do I have to add them all up?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Who cares what your saddle cost. Doesn't it strike you as sad that the living, breathing creature you bought for a song went for what he did.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

If I were ever going to buy a brand new Western saddle, it would be that one.

Quote Originally Posted by blazn View Post
    If I were ever going to buy a brand new Western saddle, it would be that one.
    I would have loved to buy a used one, but they are nearly impossible to find! Not looking forward to the new saddle squeaks.

My horse was donated to CANTER NE by owners who wanted him to find a forever non racing home. It was more important to them that he find a good home than any money they would have gotten for selling him.

They have since donated more of their horses at the end of their racing careers.

Life would certainly be better if more racing owners thought like them.

So no, I don't think it's sad at all. I think their actions should be celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    Who cares what your saddle cost. Doesn't it strike you as sad that the living, breathing creature you bought for a song went for what he did.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

You will love that McCall Lady Wade....they are incredible saddles! Exceptionally well made and very comfortable. Plus, McCall is great if you need to exchange it and will work with you to get a good fit. I had a client who bought one, and I coveted that saddle...loved getting to tune up his horse in it.

My Schleese cost more than my horse....but only because I bred and raised said horse, Although if I added up what I had in him to raise him to age four....well, maybe it would be about even.

My saddle cost more than I ever paid for any horse but I LOVE it and it was worth every single penny I paid for it. It is a Sensation Hybrid Treeless Saddle which fits my horses and me like a dream.
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...oriProfile.jpg
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...iblueberry.jpg
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...5/IMG_0140.jpg
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Heh. My saddle cost about 2x what I got my horse for (but purchase price doesn't really matter, does it? At this point I've probably put enough $ into the horse that I could have bought a house for cash with it, hahaha)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I know of someone who paid $10K for a trailer for her $1200 horse. Does that count? Great horse, great trailer!

I'm riding a $250 pony in a $2500 saddle

What you paid for a particular horse has no bearing on his actual value to you. I paid $1000 for my mare and I wouldn't take $20,000 for her. I've got a friend who bred her grade QH mare to a reg QH stallion and got 2 champion barrel racers for whom she was offered BIG money. They didn't cost her a thing (except the usual costs of raising a baby). Their value comes from their training (which she did herself) and that elusive thing called "heart".
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    What you paid for a particular horse has no bearing on his actual value to you. I paid $1000 for my mare and I wouldn't take $20,000 for her. I've got a friend who bred her grade QH mare to a reg QH stallion and got 2 champion barrel racers for whom she was offered BIG money. They didn't cost her a thing (except the usual costs of raising a baby). Their value comes from their training (which she did herself) and that elusive thing called "heart".
    Well, of course.

But this thread was intended to be humorous about the irony that my inexpensive horse is going to be ridden in a very (to me) expensive saddle. And to give others a chance to show off their ironic horse saddle combinations.

Travis (my horse) is a sweetheart, and I wouldn't trade him for much. But really? He was overpriced even at the little I paid for him when you consider the huge gaps in his training and the fact that he'd done pretty much nothing up until age 7. He really wasn't that much of a prize before I got him and put a bunch of training and time into him. As my husband says, I can't ever sell him because he's such a *special* sort of personality and anyone else might drown him.

I tried REALLY hard not to pay more for a saddle than for my horse, but my horse was essentially "marked down" and we have fit issues (tiny seat and a wide low back) so I figured if I wanted to be able to ride my horse anytime in the next century I'd be better off just buying the saddle that fits when I was lucky enough to find it. Glad I'm not alone!
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHennery View Post
    Well, of course.

But this thread was intended to be humorous about the irony that my inexpensive horse is going to be ridden in a very (to me) expensive saddle. And to give others a chance to show off their ironic horse saddle combinations.

Travis (my horse) is a sweetheart, and I wouldn't trade him for much. But really? He was overpriced even at the little I paid for him when you consider the huge gaps in his training and the fact that he'd done pretty much nothing up until age 7. He really wasn't that much of a prize before I got him and put a bunch of training and time into him. As my husband says, I can't ever sell him because he's such a *special* sort of personality and anyone else might drown him.
    Oh I understand completely! My horse, Tavis, is one of those "special" horses. Since he was born on my farm I take full responsibility for him but he really is a numbskull and I have to keep him forever too because I'm really afraid of what would happen to him otherwise. When he was coming 4 years old I sent him to the trainer who told me that this was one horse that will need to be ridden often. He said he was hardheaded and didn't want to have to do anything unless it was his idea. Incidently I ride him in tack that cost almost $2000 but I didn't pay a thing for him except what it costs to raise a baby. I made mention of that fact when I ordered my saddle...not in front of my husband though

Great saddle, you should love it, if I had the money I would buy one.

My custom Boz saddle cost more than all 3 of my riding horses combined - 1 ranch geldings that came through auction and a rescue pony. Good luck with it, it's beautiful!

I actually have a rule that says the saddle is not allowed to cost more than the horse. Helps keep my tack buying under control. Just scored a used Hulsebos dressage saddle for under $1500 for the current guy, keeping me in the appropriate range. Need to do as well with a jumping saddle over the winter.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!