The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free Gelding Clinic hosted by the Kentucky Horse Park

I think this is awesome. Kudos to the Kentucky Horse Park and all involved for sponsoring this. Hopefully its a step in the right direction!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NEWS RELEASE
    Cindy Rullman, Kentucky Horse Park
    859-259-4209 ext 209
    Cindy.Rullman@ky.gov

FREE GELDING SURGERY OFFERED AT
    KENTUCKY HORSE PARK

LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 28, 2010) In an effort to help reduce the number of unwanted and inconvenient horses being bred in Kentucky, the Kentucky Horse Park is hosting its first Free Gelding Clinic on Saturday, Dec. 4.

For the benefit of Kentucky's horses, this free clinic is being provided by the Kentucky Horse Park in partnership with the Kentucky Equine Humane Center and the Kentucky Horse Council, with funding provided by the American Horse Council's Unwanted Horse Coalition and the Kentucky Horse Council's SoHo fund.

John Nicholson, executive director of the Kentucky Horse Park stated, "The threats facing Kentucky's horses can be overcome when horse owners take their responsibilities seriously and provide good stewardship, and when other good people make up their minds to get involved. This clinic is a great example of how horse owners can do the right thing for their animals in spite of a challenging economy, with the help of organizations that are willing to come alongside them with resources and expertise."

The Kentucky Horse Park has already formed successful partnerships with the Kentucky Horse Council in hosting the annual John Henry Memorial Equine Adoption Fair, and with the Kentucky Equine Humane Center in helping homeless horses become more adoptable.

Nicholson concluded, "As a result of the enormous success of the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games, we are more aware than ever of the tremendous contribution that horses make to our Commonwealth. The Kentucky Horse Park and our partners want to repay some of that debt by continually seeking ways to improve horses' lives."

Applications are currently being accepted for the Free Gelding Clinic. The clinic is open to anyone who is financially unable to afford the surgery. Castrations will be performed by a veterinarian or a veterinary student under close supervision by a licensed veterinarian. Stallions must be halter broke, in good health, with two descended testicles and be at least four months of age, with current Coggins and health certificate. Please contact Sheila Forbes at the Kentucky Horse Park, Sheila.Forbes@ky.gov or 859-233-4305 for an application.

-30-

The Kentucky Horse Park is a working horse farm/theme park and equine competition facility dedicated to man's relationship with the horse. The park is an agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet that hosted nearly 875,000 visitors and campers, as well as 15,000 competition horses in more than 100 special events and horse shows in 2009. The park is home to the National Horse Center which comprises more than 30 national and regional equine organizations. Located at Exit 120, Interstate 75, just north of Lexington, the Kentucky Horse Park is The place to get close to horses. Open daily March 15 to October 31, and Wednesday through Sunday, November 1 to March 14.

Default It's a good idea, but..

the same folks unable to afford a castration are probably not going to have a current Coggins and health certificates. Better might be pro bono farm visits.

Mountain View Rescue in southern Kentucky has a gelding clinic scheduled for November 13th.
    The fee is $ 15 and a current coggins is required.
    No stipulation of not being able to afford castration.

http://www.mountainviewrescue.com/Gelding%20Clinic.htm

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

A really good idea, although I wondered about the coggins and health cert. too...

It will save people at least $400 and that's not including the farm call.

I don't think it will motivate the hoarders or, for example (and sorry to say) rednecks with 40 plus Walking Horses starving in their fields.

But perhaps, in this economy, there is a new level of formerly-flush horse owners who might take advantage of this opportunity and be willing to kick in the health cert and coggins.

Even twenty years ago, spay/neuter for dogs and cats was a new concept. And support from a venue like the Kentucky Horse Park helps give it acceptance. So who knows? It could be a start.

Euthanasia clinics should be next, imo. Maybe we'll see after this winter if people are willing to embrace that idea.

yeah I can't see anyone from Corbin or Owingsville coming to Lexington. Too bad they didn't have this clinic earlier when I was offered a yearling colt.

I have two colts that really need to be gelded, but due to finances I haven't done it yet. Right now feeding them is more important. I'm not exactly the type of person they're targeting as my boys don't have access to any mares, neither would ever be sold without being cut, and I fully intend to have them gelded anyway. They're nice horses, but not good enough to be kept entire.

The Coggins requirement I can see being a problem. With my show horses I can load 'em up and take them to the vet, who pulls blood without getting them off the trailer. It saves me a farm call. I can't see doing that with a couple of colts that haven't been trailered but once or not at all.

Gelding around here is pretty cheap. One vet will do it for $75 (last I heard) if you haul in. Last time I had 2 colts cut a couple of years ago the cost for both was about $400, including the farm call and tetanus shots. Or you can take them to the Amish and have them cut for $50 - they use drugs, but still...!!

It's a great idea, and I hope they have a good turnout. I'll probably have to pass on this opportunity, even though the Campbellsville clinic is only about an hour away.

Shakeytails - I think they are targeting people exactly like you.

Maybe you're the type of owner who doesn't have a great deal of confidence in the deep discounted Amish style of gelding. Maybe you (the hypothetical you) will decide, heck, for the price and inconvenience of coggins/health cert and gas money - my colts will be gelded by Rood & Riddle and/or Hagyard vets. Because we can make the educated guess that is the caliber of veterniary surgery KHP will bring to this.

Or maybe not. Maybe it targets someone who has a spot for one more over the winter - sees a likely prospect - but doesn't want the expense or hassle of gelding. Something like this would make the deal go. That $400 saved will cover feeding him for the winter.

Whatever, it's a great message they are sending.

That's great! Nice to see more programs like that.
    For anyone else not in Kentucky but in a similar situation you can contact the vet school in your state (if you have one) and ask if they're holding a similar clinic. We have castration clinics 3 or 4 times a year at no cost to owners aside from gas to get them to the clinic as do many vet schools my friends attend. The procedures are done by 2nd, 3rd and 4th year vet students with experienced vets supervising the entire time. It's a great way for students to get hands on experience in a tightly controlled environment (versus doing it once in school if your lucky then being turned loose in the 'real world') while owners get a free castration. Just a PSA for anyone else tight on money...worth a call anyway.

if anyone has any questions about the clinics, please let me know. I launched "Operation Gelding" in August 2010 and we have 17 clinics on our schedule (3 have already been completed). We have clinics happening all over the country, not just in Kentucky.

If you are an organization and wish to hold an Operation Gelding clinic, please message me for more details.

Thanks for the positive feedback!