The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Katie Prudent's horse Partly Cloudy

Does anyone have any info on this horse?

I know Katie rode him in the early & mid '90s.

I always loved him and have wondered about him.

Thanks.

Default I could be totally wrong...

but I am going by what I was told from other boarders years ago when I took lessons at Stanhope Stables in Huntingon, NY from about 1999-2003. There was a school horse named Cloudy. Tall white/grey (not sure of his age at the time but older at this point) beautiful mover and could really jump. Was head shy when you try to put the bridle on him so you had to put it on in pieces. Also cribbed. Generally, more experienced riders would use Cloudy. When I asked about his history a few people (boarders and instructors) at the barn told me his show name had been "Partly Cloudy" had been ridden by Katie Prudent. Not sure if Katie owned him though.

When I saw this You Tube video over a year ago I thought to myself...Damm that sure looks like Cloudy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCTQ7FWyz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkuFmEG0fSE

The only thing that confuses me is in the video the announcer at the end of the round refers to the horse as a she. So was "Partly Cloudy" a mare or gelding? I thought gelding and maybe the announcer in the video mispoke.

My understanding was Cloudy was eventually bought by one of the boarders who had ridden him as a school horse.

Gee I hope you are wrong, that would be a huge comedown, from KMP to a school horse at Stanhope.

I hope you are wrong too.

But it is amazing how many once GP super stars wind up as schoolies...or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressagelvr View Post

Considering what happened to Exceller and Ferdinand I guess we should not be surprised.

I believe Partly Cloudy was a mare. Could be wrong.

I think the Firestone family owned this horse. Somehow I doubt it ended up as a hack horse at a place like Stanhope but stranger things have happened.

Sometimes barns need to place their older hacks and invent stories about their past to make them more marketable, Especially to older women. Happens all the time.

Default I hope I am wrong too

But it's true what you said in your quote and I thought at the time what a shame he ended up as a school horse. Well whether Cloudy (him or her) is The "Partly Cloudy" he was a lovely horse...quirks and all. Hope he found a better home with his new owner.

Yes, Partly Cloudy was at Stanhope Stables. The owner Nancy is a wonderful woman and he was well taken care of. Not a bad life in retirement at all. I don't know if he was bought by a boarder; I left there in 2005 so can't really comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post

I think the Firestone family owned this horse. Somehow I doubt it ended up as a hack horse at a place like Stanhope but stranger things have happened.

Sometimes barns need to place their older hacks and invent stories about their past to make them more marketable, Especially to older women. Happens all the time.
    In the video the poster above put up Katie calls the horse "she" so I think you are right. Also good point lying about a horse's past to make them more marketable to riders that wouldn't know any better! I highly doubt it was the same horse.

The mare Partly Cloudy was owned and ridden by Mary Stevenson most recently. Her career ranged from 1992-2001 approx. Sired by Schonfeld *e*, a Trakehner, she had a long and distinguished career. But definitely not a gelding!

Thank you all.

You people amaze me. Why is being a school horse such a terrible fate? Would you rather the horse was passed from owner to owner and dragged around to shows for decades? A good lesson barn takes great care of its school horses. Mine live out their lives here, retire here, die here, and are buried here. I can't say the same for most of the show horses I've known who have lived in show barns. I've picked up a number of former show horses at low-end auctions...the ones who became my (or someone else's) school horses were certainly the lucky ones!

FWIW, I have no idea what became of Partly Cloudy, or if the horse in question was a mare or a gelding...just had to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieb Schon View Post
    The mare Partly Cloudy was owned and ridden by Mary Stevenson most recently. Her career ranged from 1992-2001 approx. Sired by Schonfeld *e*, a Trakehner, she had a long and distinguished career. But definitely not a gelding!
    I wondered if this one was the same mare I'd heard about - I used to occasionally ride who I was told was her full sister, "April Showers" (registered as "Reina's April Showers) by Schonfeld. This particular mare is now a broodmare at Crossroads Farm in AZ.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Gee I hope you are wrong, that would be a huge comedown, from KMP to a school horse at Stanhope.
    Having ridden at Stanhope, and many, many, many other lesson barns, I can assure you that the lesson horses at Stanhope have it good — always clean, sound, and sane — and no back to back lessons ever. Nancy (the owner) treats them so well, some of them are going into their mid-20s and beyond.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I'm not sure of where the horse is but I remember watching it on TV. Very Cute! Would be nice to know where he ended up!

Partly Cloudy is in the KMP section of the Master of Showjuming book. I believe he was a gelding.

I don't know the barn in question but really, life as a school horse in a good establishment is not all that bad. Plus, many show horses simply don't do retirement all that well and they last longer if ridden, kept fit and have little girls fawning all over them.

People become good riders by riding good horses. It is part of the handing down of knowledge. A barn where I used to ride has a former Olympic show jumper in their string. He will do his job...if you ask the right way and he is happy to serve humble pie to those that don't.

I don't think that is a bad life at all.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Partly Cloudy is in the KMP section of the Master of Showjuming book. I believe he was a gelding.

Under the Firestone's recorded with USEF as a mare.
    Under M L Stevenson recorded with USEF as a mare.

See Lieb Schon's post.

You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Considering what happened to Exceller and Ferdinand I guess we should not be surprised.
    ??

Considering what happened to Exceller and Ferdinand, it seems we should be happy if this horses landed in a nice school program. Can't jump GP forever; might as well share what you know from the comfort of a well-run school program.

Things could be much worse.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Under the Firestone's recorded with USEF as a mare.
    Under M L Stevenson recorded with USEF as a mare.

See Lieb Schon's post.

You were saying?
    Well, I will pull the book out tonight and see how KMP referred to the horse. In light of the thread I also want to have a look at him/her again.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.