The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Um....does this count as wearing a helmet?

http://www.dougpalme.com/proofs/inde...ewImage=102472

Ran across that while looking at endurance ride pics.

To funny, LOL!
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Shame on you. . .can't you tell she doesn't want her helmet to muss her hair?

When I used to teach riding at a local park system's barn, it never ceased to amaze me how many kids would show up for their first riding lesson with a brand new, brightly-colored Troxel. . .that didn't fit them at ALL.

And no, these were not hand-me-downs from an older sibling or neighbor. They'd gone into a tack shop with their parents and picked it out. . .apparently no one was available to help them in the shop, or whoever helped them didn't know a thing about proper helmet fit.

I'd show the parents what correct fit was, even give them some idea of what size range they'd probably need and suggest they return the helmet and exchange it for the correct size.

In the meantime, I became the "mean" instructor who just didn't appreciate the importance of owning a bright pink helmet. The poor lil cherub had to wear one of the "ugly" barn helmets for their first riding lesson.

::gasp::
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    They'd gone into a tack shop with their parents and picked it out. . .apparently no one was available to help them in the shop, or whoever helped them didn't know a thing about proper helmet fit.
    This just baffles me! Especially when they have an employee helping them out. (Warning: unrelated rant ahead). I had an 8 year old come for her second lesson and she was so excited because they had gone to the tack store. I had told them they needed a small Troxel dial fit, second hand Ariat paddock boots and a pair of jods. Well - apparently the store had a "deal" on. So they got a Troxel which was about 2 sizes too big, the pinchy, cheap paddock boots, breeches and half chaps (that they told her to put on backwards). For about double the price of what it should have cost. Grrrr.

On a more related note: You see the helmet thing a lot! Shakes head.

Hey at least the strap is tight... unlike a lot of the hunter/jumper pics I see.

This reminds me of the time I was at the horse show and a teenager was riding in the warm-up in a helmet that clearly didn't fit. She came off, the helmet shifted, and she hit the ground and didn't move. By the time the EMTs got to her blood was coming out of her eyes, ears and nose.

I make sure any helemt I buy fits very well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyNSH View Post
    This reminds me of the time I was at the horse show and a teenager was riding in the warm-up in a helmet that clearly didn't fit. She came off, the helmet shifted, and she hit the ground and didn't move. By the time the EMTs got to her blood was coming out of her eyes, ears and nose.

I make sure any helemt I buy fits very well.

What scares me is when I hear stories like this, and people use it as an example of "wearing a helmet didn't help THAT person."

Well no freakin' kidding!!!.

Sure, nothing is guaranteed. . .but it's not going to help at all if it doesn't fit well in the first place.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I hope the OP had permission to use that photo, both from the person pictured and the professional photographer. If not, it seems kind of mean to put it up where thousands will see it just for the giggles it might get. And, if you really are asking if it counts as wearing a helmet, yes, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I it seems kind of mean to put it up where thousands will see it just for the giggles it might get.
    Just "kind of"? The word that popped into my head was "classless". But it's not a new move for A2 so I'm not shocked either.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Just "kind of"? The word that popped into my head was "classless". But it's not a new move for A2 so I'm not shocked either.
    No different than the 'People at Walmart'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post

What scares me is when I hear stories like this, and people use it as an example of "wearing a helmet didn't help THAT person."

Well no freakin' kidding!!!.

Sure, nothing is guaranteed. . .but it's not going to help at all if it doesn't fit well in the first place.
    yeah, ill fitting helmets can cause a lot of problems on top of not doing the job.

Back in the day of the velvet hard hats without strap (or rather a rubber band posing as strap) my cousin came off during a lesson. Though the hat fit pretty well it came lose and she ended up with 2 black eye, probably a broken nose.
    After that she added the butt ugly (pretty new concept at the time) harness with chin strap on the hard hat...

I think the styrofoam hats don't do too much damage...though propped this far in the back..my neck hurts just looking!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No different than the 'People at Walmart'
    Which also just reeks of class and is another fine example of the milk of human kindness, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Hey at least the strap is tight... unlike a lot of the hunter/jumper pics I see.
    We were at an IHSA show and Andrea Meek was judging. She totally called out a girl whose helmet strap was way too loose. Made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by sptraining View Post
    We were at an IHSA show and Andrea Meek was judging. She totally called out a girl whose helmet strap was way too loose. Made my day!
    Great! If people are going to wear a helmet, they should do it correctly or it doesn't offer much protection.

Reminds me a bit of the kids you see riding a bike to school with their helmet hanging from their handlebars.
    I used to yell at them, "You look stupider riding along like that then you would if you had the helmet on your head!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Which also just reeks of class and is another fine example of the milk of human kindness, IMO.
    Pretty much my point.
    Though, the pic in this thread is a nice portrait of this lady, helmet faux pas aside, the walmart blog is just mean. (Aside from the fact they had to have been in the store - gaspeth - to see those folks!)

OP, what a sh*tty thing to do. You know nothing about this woman other than the fact that indeed, she is not wearing her helmet correctly. How would she feel if she found out about this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    OP, what a sh*tty thing to do. You know nothing about this woman other than the fact that indeed, she is not wearing her helmet correctly. How would she feel if she found out about this thread?
    The lady might learn how wear her helmet so that it fit right.

My qusetion is the person that took the photo. Did they take it because of how the helmet looked and wanted to make a point or for some other reason?
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Perhaps it's her daughter's helmet, and her hands are full while she holds her daughter's horse. See, her daughter has fibromyalgia, scoliosis, and other terribly debilitating diseases and disorders. So she's kindly holding her daughter's horse and needed somewhere to stick her helmet while waiting on her daughter.

You don't know if I'm right, or wrong.

By all means, let's mock her.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    The lady might learn how wear her helmet so that it fit right.

My qusetion is the person that took the photo. Did they take it because of how the helmet looked and wanted to make a point or for some other reason?

Like I said, it's a nice portrait of this lady.

As to the question what if, maybe she'd figure out to wear it correct vs cute. It's not a fashion issue, it's safety.
    bad fitting helmets are worse than non.