The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions on Feeding the Slow to Mature Horse

I am hoping someone with experience could give some suggestions on feeding. The horse we are looking at is a 3 year old that bloodline wise is slow to mature. She is one of six full siblings and they are all lovely.
    What feed do you recommend? She will be fed good quality grass hay free choice. Our goal is to start her under saddle next
    Spring.
    It has been many years since I have had a youngster and have never had a slow maturing one before.

What brands do you have access to?

Is she an easy keeper or harder, as in, is she chubby or thinner right now, and what is she currently eating?

Fast- or slow-maturing, doesn't much matter, she's still a growing 3yo So, you'd feed her like a 3yo, nutrition-wise, and adjust calories based on her needs - growth, work, etc.

This might mean 5lb of TC Growth, for example, or 1lb TC30, or 1lb TC30 and a pound/two of alfalfa pellets and/or beet pulp.

She is a cob so she is an easy keeper. She is at a good weight not too thin or fat. I have access to Purina, Blue Seal and anything that TSC sells. Just want to do the right thing for her.
    She is a very nice easygoing filly. We have children so keeping her that way is important. I don't want her too hyped up on grain and the choices are somewhat overwhelming.