The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint supps - chondroitin? Important? Thinking of switching....

I have been a happy Platinum Performance CJ user for a few years now. Product was recommended by top lameness vet in my area as "the only joint supp. they recommend" and no, they aren't connected with the company. They like it for it's "completeness", and that it includes ASU which has done well in trials.

My horse that is on it is around 20, arthritic hocks and most likely generalized arthritis in other areas. Has hocks injected about every 9 mos. and is on Previcox daily. Ridden 3-4 times a week, flatwork & trail, poles & crossrails. The supplement has worked well for us and I absolutely noticed a positive change when I put him on it, but sometimes I feel he has become "stale" on it and a change may switch things up. The Platinum is also loaded with their "base" Platinum Performance supplement - vitamins, hoof stuff and Omega's....however he is also on rice bran and flax, and will soon be on a much more nutritious feed, so I'm not sure I need all the vitamins and other stuff (flax, Omegas) in the Platinum. I am thinking of putting him on JUST a joint supplement and getting his nutrition more from his feed, hay, etc.

I am considering Cosequin ASU and Absorbine Flex Max, and noticed both have 1200 mg. of Chondroitin which the PP does not.

How important is Chondroitin in joint supps? The platinum is expensive and I am considering a switch to a Smartpak product.

Would love any opinions on the Chondroitin, Cosequin ASU or Absorbine Flex Max, and any switches you may have made. Thanks

Well I am somewhat answering my own question. I called Platiunum Perf. customer service to ask why Chondroitin was not in any of their supplements. She said they found no improvements or change when they added it to their products in trials. Nothing negative happened but nothing remarkable either. She also said it is almost impossible to find a good supplier of chondroitin who puts out a consistent product, and that alot of suppliers are in China and overseas. Interesting, but that explains it at least for Platinum Perf. products.

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    She also said it is almost impossible to find a good supplier of chondroitin who puts out a consistent product, and that alot of suppliers are in China and overseas. Interesting, but that explains it at least for Platinum Perf. products.
    I have heard the same thing, and so I use a supplement without it. It's way cheaper that way, too.