The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunter princess turned eventer; OFFICIALLY! Update and pics*

OK, first horse trial is looming in TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!! Super excited. Just want to make sure of one or 2 things.

For dressage, I have a plain white square pad with a monogram:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t/9-4-10-2.jpg

I read the rule book ... twice. Didn't say anything (that I could find) about monograms. Is my pad fine?

Also, the whole dressage bit thing is giving me fits. I've nixed the idea of showing in the bit I've been using for quite awhile because it is NOT shown in the appendix of "accepted" bits, and my dressage instructor doesn't know whether it's legal. So I've decided on a plain, single jointed Myler D-ring. It has the curved mouthpiece, and the copper inlays, but no hooks at all.
    http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=89-21093&k=88012

Good, right?

I just don't want to have paid a bunch of money to get TE'd. I have ENOUGH to worry about with getting around xc with no "oopsies".

Any last minute advice or words of encouragement are welcome!
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 1, 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: update

Monograms are fine! They just don't want patterns or wild and crazy colors! Is this recognized? If not, they may be even more lenient of saddle pads.

I can't confidently say go or no go on your bit, but I'm pretty sure the bit is fine. I'll let the real rule gurus respond!

Thanks Heliodoro (love your username!). Yes, it is recognized. I'm doing the Chattahoochee Hills one.

Saddle pad is fine. We just went through this. No where in the rules does it say anything about logos on saddle pads.

From USEF Rule Book:
    8. Advertising and Publicity on Athletes & horses

Subject to the provisions of article 135 of the General Regulations, the manufacturer logo can appear:

1. 3cm2 once per item - therefore ok on any clothing item - breeches, gloves, shirt, helmet for the Dressage, Cross Country and Jumping tests

The Individual sponsor logo may appear:

1. 80cm2 on each of the two sides of jackets at the height of breast pockets for Dressage & Jumping tests

2. 200cm2 on arm of top garment for Cross country”

For the Jumping and Cross country test, athletes are allowed to bear the logo of their sponsor vertically in the middle of their hard hat. The said logo must not be longer than 25cm or wider than 5 cm.”

Have you been to Chatt Hills before? It gorgeous! Hopefully this rain will let up and give the ground a chance to dry up!
    Truly unique saddle pads, custom available too!

www.uniquesaddlepads.com
    Follow Us On Facebook!

The monogram won't be a problem. Don't want to say yes or no on the bit because I'm not totally certain!

Chattahoochee Hills is absolutely stunning... I'm jealous! Have a blast!

Thank y'all so much. I'm super excited; VERY thankful I've been there once to school ... made it over ALL of our (my) "bogey" jumps. He only had ... 2 stops, which wasn't bad considering it took me a little time to actually start sitting up and RIDING. I've watched the Area III's, and volunteered for the AEC's, so I'm hoping the course this weekend will be a bit more kind considering I've never strung 16 together ...

I need a barf bag....

Are you going to use the pad for XC and show jumping too? Just asking because I am trying to distract myself that YOU are actually doing this...OMG!

YOU will be fine...ME, I may need a medic.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Good luck and I hope you will have a blast!! :-)

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    Also, the whole dressage bit thing is giving me fits. I've nixed the idea of showing in the bit I've been using for quite awhile because it is NOT shown in the appendix of "accepted" bits, and my dressage instructor doesn't know whether it's legal. So I've decided on a plain, single jointed Myler D-ring. It has the curved mouthpiece, and the copper inlays, but no hooks at all.
    http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=89-21093&k=88012

Good, right?

I just don't want to have paid a bunch of money to get TE'd. I have ENOUGH to worry about with getting around xc with no "oopsies".

Any last minute advice or words of encouragement are welcome!
    As long as the copper inlays are completely smooth, you should befine.

What is the bit you are currently using?

Advice?
    Take a deep breath and HAVE FUN!
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    As long as the copper inlays are completely smooth, you should befine.

What is the bit you are currently using?

Advice?
    Take a deep breath and HAVE FUN!
    Thanks Janet! I'm using a loose ring with a waterford ball in the center. My dressage instructor wasn't sure if it's legal or not, and I don't want to go through the bit check, it doesn't work, and then having to swap things out at the last minute.

Calm, yes, I'm calm. Having a house guest has helped to distract me from my nerves!!!

Using my Squeaky gator pad for dressage, my good luck pad from Nicole for xc (you havn't seen it B; she just gave it to me), and my hunter princess fleece pad for showjumping. I'm going to Dover tomorrow to buy me a stock tie. AND a white show shirt! And some more Sore No More. Good, I'm good.

Wooooo have fun!!! My roommate and I are sitting here admiring your saddle pad. Is there a story?

Oh yes...there IS a Story...I own the "Alligator" part and Jen and the "Squeaky" part, lol.

I'll let Jen tell fill the rest in, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    Thanks Janet! I'm using a loose ring with a waterford ball in the center. My dressage instructor wasn't sure if it's legal or not, and I don't want to go through the bit check, it doesn't work, and then having to swap things out at the last minute.
    I agree that one is questionable.

Just for grins, take it with you and ask the TD if it is legal.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Oh yes...there IS a Story...I own the "Alligator" part and Jen and the "Squeaky" part, lol.

I'll let Jen tell fill the rest in, lol.
    I call my boy "Squeaky Tiki" lol. Relo and I decided that Squeaky Alligators is now our Hunter Pace handle. Captain is Gator because he's a roarer, and Tiki is Squeaky because he sleeps all day in his stall and breathes out this hilarious sound that can only be described as a squeak. I'll take my LR with me; dressage isn't until 2:45.

Thanks again!!

B, the pad I gave Jen is the one I mentioned to you... just a white pad with royal blue trim. And I have no barf bags for you, but I have plenty of leftover (unused) doggy poop bags... would several of those work for you?

Janet, that's what I told her to do! My day is now complete that my thinking was that closely in line with Janet's!

J, I will physically hurt you if you buy a pre-tied stock tie... you MUST have one that you tie yourself! And you should check out the Snooty Fox first!!!! SHould either of those places fail you for a non-pre-tied stock tie, I will loan you mine. And you have your armband, right?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Good luck!!!!!!
    My blog
    Follow me along my eventing journey! Complete with mishaps

Vegas! 'Nuff said.

An arm band, yes, you need an arm band.

Nope - you need a medical card. Which you can affix to your arm (please, dear G-d, not your leg) with an armband, a safety pin, duct tape, etc.

Seriously - at this point, just have fun. Some things will go right, others will go wrong, but at the end of the day, it's all about having a good time out there.

Well, yes, medical card is what I *really* meant, lol... but I was thinking of it in terms of being all in one grouping with an armband.... regardless, make sure you have it.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Nope - you need a medical card. Which you can affix to your arm (please, dear G-d, not your leg) with an armband, a safety pin, duct tape, etc.
    Like this

Yeah. That's me