The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do with the pregnant mare?

My mare is fast approaching the point of being too far along to comfortably ride (just past the 5 month mark). What else can I do with her to keep her reasonably fit and used to "working"? I do some long lining. What about elevated poles or small jumps on the line? Would that bother her? Any other ideas of things to do with her?

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    My mare is fast approaching the point of being too far along to comfortably ride (just past the 5 month mark). What else can I do with her to keep her reasonably fit and used to "working"? I do some long lining. What about elevated poles or small jumps on the line? Would that bother her? Any other ideas of things to do with her?
    If she is turned out 12-14 hrs per day in a large enough pasture (1-2+ acres), that should be enough.

Personally, I think riding this mare at a walk would be better for her than trotting on the longe or jumping -- even cavallettis. I would keep the bouncing at a minimum.

Horses don't lose their fitness as quickly as people, so I really wouldn't worry about that too much.

Thanks for the input! I'm fairly handicapped, so it's hard for me to ride (takes one or two helpers to get me safely on and off, which is difficult to arrange). The bouncing makes sense, but my concern is that this mare tends to get waaayyy too excited about jumps when she do them for a while; would having her trot over a 12" obstacle a few times each direction once or twice a week be too much? I just want her to remember what it's like to do things calmly.

She's turned out 12 or 24 hours, depending on if I'm able to swing by to put her in a stall at a reasonable hour. This winter, I'll be living on the farm where she is, so I was thinking about talking her for a handwalk once a day or so (the walk is probably about a mile round trip).

Turnout should be fine. I would not jump her. Light lunging on the flat probably wouldn't hurt, but I honestly wouldn't even bother. My broodmares are turned out 24/7, with no work, unless it's bad weather (then they are in the barn), and have no issues.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Turnout should be fine. I would not jump her. Light lunging on the flat probably wouldn't hurt, but I honestly wouldn't even bother. My broodmares are turned out 24/7, with no work, unless it's bad weather (then they are in the barn), and have no issues.
    This. Yes, why bother? She is bred, let her be out as much as possible. My 3 bred mares are all out in a 7 acre field 24/7with a large run in shed. They only come in when weather is really bad (like in bad snow storms with high winds), and for appointments (farrier, dentist, vet, etc.). I groom them loose in the field, and even give them their vaccinations outside. They love being out.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    This. Yes, why bother? She is bred, let her be out as much as possible. My 3 bred mares are all out in a 7 acre field 24/7with a large run in shed. They only come in when weather is really bad (like in bad snow storms with high winds), and for appointments (farrier, dentist, vet, etc.). I groom them loose in the field, and even give them their vaccinations outside. They love being out.
    I manage mine the exact same way. OP, your mare is bred, you could probably do light walking, but I would push her a lot to exercise.

Normally I keep my mares out 24/7 and they are very cheery with that. However, years ago I had a mare who would get crampy, and she needed to be kept in some sort of light exercise to be comfortable. I rode her bareback out on the trail, at a walk, up until she delivered. Both of us enjoyed doing it.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

There is a great deal of fitness that can be maintained at the walk

We rode our mare up to about 8/9 months......no reason you can't keep riding for a few mores months if she is fit and healthy.

Dalemma

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    We rode our mare up to about 8/9 months......no reason you can't keep riding for a few mores months if she is fit and healthy.

Dalemma
    I was just thinking this. My mare is just about at the 5 month mark, and she is more than happy to take 30minute hacks around the farm. (we occasionally we do a little trot...and last week she managed to let out a playful buck and dump me ) I plan to continue hacking her as long as the weather holds out-- or probably into month 7 or 8.

5 months? I am a complete first-timer with horse breeding, so I'm relying on my vet who told me that my mare could do any activity she was doing before she got pregnant up to the 7th month of pregnancy.

So this little mare's been on the same schedule she was before she got pregnant and is still jumping around, full of enthusiasm and perky eared and bright eyed.

I figured when she got to the 7th month or so, I'd either just hack her on trails, or pony her off my other horse for walks on the trail/around the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    The bouncing makes sense, but my concern is that this mare tends to get waaayyy too excited about jumps when she do them for a while; would having her trot over a 12" obstacle a few times each direction once or twice a week be too much? I just want her to remember what it's like to do things calmly.
    You will have plenty of time to do this sort of thing after the foal is born and/or weaned. Your mare won't forget how to jump -- again, horses have great memories. I have one Arab mare who I ride only about 1 x per year...we do a five minute warm-up and then we are off! No issues. Plan on have a period of refresher classes for your mare once she is ready to go back into training, but for now her job is to have an uneventful pregnancy & healthy baby. Exercise for the pregnant mare IS important, but most of them will move around enough all by themselves if they have the space and time. Otherwise, daily walks right up to foaling time would be a good thing...especially if you see your mare stocking up a bunch.