The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default arena mirror DIY-ideas?

Hey folks, I'm the happy recipient of 3 large mirrors from freecycle! dimensions are: 34" tall X 20.5" wide X 1/8" thick, 58" tall X 42 wide X 3/16" thick, 54" tall X 42 wide X 3/16" thick.

I would love to make arena mirrors out of them. Any thoughts or caveats from folks who have been there, done that? the arena is an outdoor, so also throwing around ideas for sturdy hanging mechanism.

Thanks for your ideas!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Do not install them where they can block flow through. The mirrors at my barn are installed at the south end of the covered arena; the main aisles of the barn run north-south. Sometimes, a breeze can make a big difference when it gets hot, but my barn can't get one since the mirrors block it.

I think you are supposed to use special mirror for indoors. Seach this forum, I think I read something about accidents with horses and mirrors. Not trying to rain on your parade, just something to know going in. I used to ride at an indoor with mirrors and it was great to have them.

Thanks for your suggestions so far! Please, keep 'em coming :-)
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Duh, just read that it is an outdoor arena.

Just posted the other outdoor arean mirror thread. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    I think you are supposed to use special mirror for indoors. Seach this forum, I think I read something about accidents with horses and mirrors. Not trying to rain on your parade, just something to know going in. I used to ride at an indoor with mirrors and it was great to have them.
    Yeah, they have an anti-shatter coating so that when your horse smacks into them, they aren't cut to bits.

And even ones in outdoors should have them...you don't want to set up another accident for your horse when it could easily be avoided. I'm not sure if the ones you have already have the coating, but it might be worth calling some glass places to see if it's something that could be added on.