The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I am really bummed to have to get this off my chest. I *love* Dover Saddlery, and always look forward to getting their new catalog in the mail. Literally a Wishbook and loaded with scrumptious photos.

However, the one I got today is *really* bothering me. The cover pic is an adorable little girl on a TDF grey pony. Very determined & darling expressions on both their faces. What is bothering me so much though, is the little girl's leg is off the saddle and horse, the little gal's toe is turned out at an extreme angle and the *very* back of the calf is on the horse well behind the girth....*with the spur visibly jabbing the pony*. It caught my eye immediately as I sorted through the mail. All I can see now is that spur....... :-(

Nobody's perfect, for sure....but now I know why the old concept of "winning your spurs" was the old way of doing things. People didn't get to wear a spur until they could be relied upon to have a super leg position that would never accidently spur the horse. To see that on the cover of a huge catalog just makes me so sad.....

Again, I don't remotely mean this as a slam against Dover, I love shopping there! I'm just really perplexed & saddened by the choice of using that pic.

I am really bummed to have to get this off my chest. I *love* Dover Saddlery, and always look forward to getting their new catalog in the mail. Literally a Wishbook and loaded with scrumptious photos.

However, the one I got today is *really* bothering me. The cover pic is an adorable little girl on a TDF grey pony. Very determined & darling expressions on both their faces. What is bothering me so much though, is the little girl's leg is off the saddle and horse, the little gal's toe is turned out at an extreme angle and the *very* back of the calf is on the horse well behind the girth....*with the spur visibly jabbing the pony*. It caught my eye immediately as I sorted through the mail. All I can see now is that spur....... :-(

Nobody's perfect, for sure....but now I know why the old concept of "winning your spurs" was the old way of doing things. People didn't get to wear a spur until they could be relied upon to have a super leg position that would never accidently spur the horse. To see that on the cover of a huge catalog just makes me so sad.....

Again, I don't remotely mean this as a slam against Dover, I love shopping there! I'm just really perplexed & saddened by the choice of using that pic.

Perplexed and saddened by what? A lovely photo of a beautiful little girl who can obviously ride on a gorgeous little pony? Um...right. Don't you think you're being a little oversensitive? I can find you a photo of a Grand Prix rider with a spur jabbing the horse's flank, if you'd like.

Also, photos from that angle are very hard to make judgments about. I think a side-angle of that same photo would prove much different.

1 members found this post helpful.

hehehe I saw that too. I was just too chicken to be the first to say anything about it http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif I agree with you though. It won't stop me from buying thru Dover, but I wish they would rethink some of the photos they use.

Edited to add; "Also, photos from that angle are very hard to make judgments about. I think a side-angle of that same photo would prove much different."
    I don't think a different view would show much difference. The fact would still be the girl has her spur digging into the side of the pony(notice the wrinkled skin) and she def. appears to be jumping ahead/out of her tack. This isn't a dig against the little girl or her pony in any way! Dover should expect to have any/all photos they publish open to critisim, constructive or not!

Since you said that, I totally understand where you're coming from. I get the catalog myself, and at-a-glance yes, its a cute cover photo. But gosh look at it again, really. And to add to the whole spur thing...that is my BIGGEST pet peve, to see these little kids on their perfect push-button ponies, riding with spurs. I mean, little 6 and 7yr old short-stirrup kids shouldn't be riding with spurs..its just not the way its supposed to be! Its like, 'HELLO!?' Sometimes I just don't know what people are thinking. And to add to that, the girl in the pic is jumping ahead of her pony, look just behind her elbow and you can see the space between her dairy-air and the saddle..Plus it looks like she's resting her upper body on the pony's neck. But thats JMHO http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif So I guess thats my perspective on the cover photo..But yes, I definately agree with the OP on this one!!

The little girl is obviously NOT a short stirrup rider, and, as far as I know, hunter00, she did not ask for you to critique her riding either.

Completely agree with the OP. I saw the pic and thought of posting but neither did I want to be the first victim. ha. The spur jabbing the pony's side really bothered me too.

If a kid that size is wearing a spur, that ain't no pushbutton pony.....
    Does not mean I agree with photo choice....
    I also hate to see spurs on the tiny ones, but a great many of these ponies were made by adults with enuf leg to get the point across, which you rarely find in a SS kid....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

The pony may require spur off the ground or in the air. Ponies are rarely as pushbutton as many people think they are.

2 members found this post helpful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tha Ridge:
    Perplexed and saddened by what? A lovely photo of a beautiful little girl who can obviously ride on a gorgeous little pony? Um...right. Don't you think you're being a little oversensitive? I can find you a photo of a Grand Prix rider with a spur jabbing the horse's flank, if you'd like.

Also, photos from that angle are very hard to make judgments about. I think a side-angle of that same photo would prove much different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, respectfully speaking....just because it's frequently done, doesn't mean it's *right*. No need to send me pix of Grand Prix riders, have seen plenty thanks. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif Hopefully there is a large degree of difference between the motor skills of a 6 yr old and a Grand Prix rider so that's a bit difficult to make a comparison to. Hopefully!

No, I don't think I'm being oversensitive. I think most people aren't being sensitive enough, by turning a blind eye to this sort of thing. I'm not a professional horse show person anymore, but have spent a lot of time in schooling rings seeing horses with bloody sides from totally improper use of the "aids" (and I do believe the accessories have their place in the right hands). I'm sorry, but the old masters had it right. No adjunctive aids until your basic position is spot-on. It's all about the horse and it's comfort.

A photo from another angle maybe wouldn't show the problem, but would just hide the fact that this rider is basically hanging on by her spur. Frequently done, yes! Horsemanship in public view which needs improvement that we don't want the whole world to see....I hope I'm not the only one saying "no".

Ha ! yes I saw it too....at first glance what a nice picture, then you take a look at the equitation, and wonder what happened ?

I remember in the '70's everyone was so concerned about what show photo they would use for ads, and how their riding/equitation looked.

NEVER would the rider or the family have allowed the use of that photo.

Times have changed !
    -Amor vincit omnia-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Boylen:
    The pony may require spur off the ground or in the air. Ponies are rarely as pushbutton as many people think they are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Granted. But I do contend the choice of photos is poor for a huge cover shot. Though a cover photo may just be a cool action pic like so many of Dover's gorgeous previous covers, this one is just too blatently YUK with that spur. Her leg looks totally off the horseand her foot angle is scarey. :-( I know stuff/training issues happen, but let's not advertise it big time on a huge forum! Surely there were other pix of adorable lil gals & their TDF ponies which didn't have a spur sticking into them for a cover shoot! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

OK...What's a TDF???
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Irish Ei's:
    OK...What's a TDF??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To Die For! Man, I wish I was a kid with one of those TDF ponies, sigh.......

Oh for the love of god...it is a small child cut her a break and I'm sure we all have had to spur off the ground at some point. I know that I did just today. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

While we are all entitled to our opinion there are days that I feel this board has become more of a gossip rag than a helpful place to come and ask questions and get good solid answers.

It just amazes me how many "perfect" riders there are here.

I don't think anyone is stating that they are a "perfect" rider. I know I'm not! My point was that in a catalog like Dover, or any other well known one, they should have enough photos available to use ones that are a bit more "proper". I'm sure that this little girl can ride her pony just fine & this might be one of those "bad timing" types of photos. I just don't think it belongs as a cover shot JMHO!

The pony looks happy and relaxed.
    The spur doesn't seem to be bothering him any.

2 members found this post helpful.

Why do we have to critique a child that never asked for it? What if the parent of that child comes on this site and sees this?
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

If you don't know the whole situation, it's probably not best to assume things.
    The girl on the cover is a lovely rider, and her pony is a typical pony-- can be good, but is often quite bratty. The spurs, for this pony, are necessary. And cut the child a little slack, please, she's still young!
    Charlotte

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Julhar:

Again, I don't remotely mean this as a slam against Dover, I love shopping there! I'm just really perplexed & saddened by the choice of using that pic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree with you more.