The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How bad is one grain feeding/day?

I board my thbd at a great facility. One of the only negatives is that he only gets one feeding a day, at night, which I feed him. A morning feed is not an option.

I give him a small amount of grain (http://www.agribrands.ca/Documents/E...ets/TriMAX.pdf) and his supplements. He might get....2lbs, tops, of grain. I think he could benefit from more but I am hesitant to feed too much grain in one meal. Should I be? He has had a course of UG and gets pro/prebiotics and Gastra FX for maintenance and free choice hay. He also gets soaked alfalfa cubes with his grain. How big a meal can he safely have?

TIA
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

If it were bad, thousands of horses would be in trouble

You *can* feed up to about 5lb in a meal, though the more volumous that meal is, and the more forage-based it is, the higher you can go, but even then I wouldn't go more than 6-7lb.

Do you know what's in that product? The more grains in it, the less of it I'd feed. But 2lb in a feeding is fine

Ditto. I'm not familiar with that feed, but if it has a lot of forage (it says alfalfa meal?) I would be perfectly comfortable feeding up to 5-6 lbs of it at a time. Is he underweight? I would assume that he's getting hay more than once a day or that he's on pasture, because if not that's the problem I'd address before adding more grain.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Not sure how to tell how forage based the grain is, it is the Canadian equivalent of Ultium I am told....so not very high forage I'm guessing??.

He has either pasture with roundbale or free choice hay 24/7. He is in good weight but is getting back to work, a long cold Canadian winter is coming and it will be his first living out. I think he could use more grain. The amount that Purina says he should get is 8lbs +. I also wonder if the grain adds much in the way of filling in nutritional holes (Selenium, Omega 3's...) at such a small amount as I do not supplement with a vit/mineral anymore (was on Source).

It already feels like a hefty meal when combined with the soaked Alfalfa but 75% of the meal is hay cubes so maybe not??

I have had horses most of my life and now realize how much I relied on my coaches, barn managers....when it comes to nutrition. Feeling a bit ignorant.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I have had horses most of my life and now realize how much I relied on my coaches, barn managers....when it comes to nutrition. Feeling a bit ignorant.
    Try to find a copy of "The Horse Nutrition Bible" by Ruth Bishop. It does an excellent job of explaining nutrition and digestion and how to make informed decisions. There are plenty of books out there on the subject but for me, this is the one that explained it all in such a way that I felt I finally had a decent grasp on what happened to the food once it went in my horse's mouth. Good luck!

well if it was bad, my horses would all have coughed up a hairball a long time ago.

All my horses get feed per se once a day - since I feed them their goodies in the early afternoon when I get home from work. I just don't have time to make breakfasts, lunches, get kids off to early morning daycare and on school buses, and still find time to grain horses before I start work at 7 am - so they get hay only in the mornings.

they do get a fair bit depending. 1 gelding for example gets.. about 2lbs (measure dried) soaked beet pulp, plus 2lbs of complete feed & oil and about a 1lb of alfalfa cubes - so thats quite a bit all at once technically I suppose. I started putting cubes in their grains to slow them down when eating treats and it seems to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Is he inside enough that someone walking by could put his alfalfa ration in his stall at a different time from when you're feeding him? Of course, if he's going to be 'out' except when you bring him in to feed him, you're probably out of luck.

My rule of thumb is a maximum of 5-6 pounds of concentrate per feeding (at least 6-8 hours apart). Mine are also on 24/7 pasture/timothy hay, which helps to buffer the concentrate feedings and keeps them from bolting food, and I only have time to bring them in for grain after work. When I give them all a bit more in the dead of winter, I toss a few flakes of alfalfa in the paddock before work.

A thought: If you can only feed once/day, you can safely add a fair bit of fat to the concentrate for extra calories.
    ---------------------------

Unless the volume is huge and/or the horse clearly has digestive "issues", I don't think it's that big a deal.

Usually mine get fed grain in the PM only. This summer I've had a broodmare who was THIN, so she was getting 8-10 pounds of grain a day, and I divided her feedings. When she leaves the herd will be back to once-daily grain. They cope just fine--the hopeful, pitiful looks in the morning quickly go away when they remember it's "just hay".
    Click here before you buy.

Default Thanks for posting ~ helpful information ~

Thanks for posting everyone ~ useful information ~ I have always grained twice a day and needed this information for upcoming changes in barn patterns ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Yes, thanks everyone. I feel better about increasing the concentrates a bit now.

Mine get fed, not only once a day, but at random times during the day -- whenever I am there. Starting in November, no matter how pudgy they look (they are easy keepers and in fairly good 6-day-a-week work), I do up their meal from a handful to a few pounds. They get free choice hay in the winter. They are FINE. Once a day is fine as long as you frontload now. If they get skinny and you notice it in Jan, you can't really fix it until the grass comes in. So feed them a little bit plump over the next few weeks.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother