The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunting pics - before the rain started...!

We've had amazing weather and amazing hunting in SW England this month...Now the rain has started, but I took some sunny photos to remember it by ;-)

http://rockleyfarm.blogspot.com/2010...n-weather.html

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Beautiful scenery, Nic. Loved the frost, and loved the littlest member of the hunt field. Thanks for sharing!

Yikes! It's that cold already? Makes me glad to be here in Texas where we can still wear short sleeves. Thanks for posting those photos -- we need more of these.

Just beautiful!!

Are those Exmoor ponies wild? What is the ground like in that area- is it rocky or loamy or what?

I can hear and smell the mud from those pics !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Equibrit, you know us too well Its been a 3-waterproofs day today, and the mud is well set in!

SLW, the Exmoor ponies are feral - they run free but the herds are owned. They are a fascinating breed as they are genetically very primitive and unique to this area.

The terrain has a bit of everything - lots of deep, wet ground, lots of flinty, stony ground, some lovely old pasture and everything in between

I feel the need to go hunting in SW England...
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Alisa Guest

nicbarker, I really enjoyed watching your videos! I especially loved the one of Angel stirring up trouble! Thanks for sharing!

Please have Pumpkin and some rain shipped to AZ posthaste. I am in need of both!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

JSwan, you MUST go. I have friends that live in Somerset. I stayed with my friends and hunted nearly every day for 2 weeks. I've never been more wet nor had a better time out hunting.
    Went out with the Staghounds once too. Exhilarating!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I feel the need to go hunting in SW England...
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Question What is the secret?

Nic,
    What waterproofs work? And how do you keep them and your tack waterproofed? You can P.M me if you think the rest of us already know the magic formula...

Dawglover, sounds like you had the real Exmoor experience - proper job

Whicker, since its you I will reveal what little I know Personally, I've got a Barbour breathable coat - not waxed, more like a Gore-tex - that I love - never, ever got wet in it and it doesn't rustle. However, lots of people swear by Ri-Dry, and their coats are more in a hunting style - website is here: http://www.ri-dryclothing.com/

The biggest problem IMO is waterproof trousers - the Ri-dry ones don't really deliver, and the ones which are really waterproof don't come in the right colours(!). I can give you a steer on waterproof gloves though (ESSENTIAL!!!!!!) as Sealskinz and Seeland both do great ones

As far as tack goes, I don't think there is a way to waterproof it...The only answer is clean it meticulously - strip bridles down every time - and when tack comes home sopping wet I bring everything into the house to dry and clean it with Effax cream soap as it dries. Seems to work

Alternatively (but personally I wouldn't make a habit of it) there is nothing like getting really cold and wet to make you appreciate being warm and dry again after hunting

cocovi Guest