The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Royal Gem in sporthorse lines?

One thing that struck me, looking at some of the very well known tb influences in sporthorse breeding, was the prevelance of "Son-in-Law."

That might not have lots to do with anything or not, but Furioso was from a SIL mare. Cor de was line bred on SIL. Ladykiller was SIL 4D and Landgraf, through Anblick, pulled in another Dark Ronald son, Herold. Cottage Son was a grandson of SIL and line bred on Hampton.

So that made me wonder a bit about a stallion I don't know much about, Royal Gem
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/royal+gem2
    who was line bred on SIL too.

Does he have any place in sporthorse breeding? Was SIL just used so heavily that he was likely to appear in so many sporthorse tb sires?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

He's got one hunter in my Dr. Birdsall. Lee's Lieutenant. He was an import from Australia.

Most famous as the sire of Dark Star who beat Native Dancer in the Kentucky Derby. Dark Star got sent to Europe after a short while at stud here. I think some SF eventers have got him, but it's been a while since I searched.

Dark Star was the dam sire of Too Bald, and sire of the very good mare Gazala, dam of Youth, and many, many SF descendants. There are quite a few other Dark Star get with SF descendants. (I just looked). My wretchedly conformed mare has one line to Dark Star way, way back through her dam line, but I don't blame him at all.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Oct. 25, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I went through a Royal Gem obsession a few years ago. It was sparked by the discovery of a horse called Royal Gem in the background of the Irish Draught stallion Pride of Shaunlara. I never could connect the linebred Son in Law Royal Gem with the Irish Royal Gem though :-( Some texts list him as a TB and some as an ISH by Royalist.

I also look for Fair Trial and the Tudor horses as sources of SIL.

The other TBs to look for in the "TB foundation sires of Holsteiners" category are Marco and his grandson Hurry On and great grandson Precipitation. Furioso was a son of Precipitation (out of an SIL daughter).
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

"but I don't blame him at all" LOL

I wondered, with is concentration of SIL, if he might not have more. I actually started looking at him bc of digging around to get info on a Dark Star offspring, In The Beginning. I didn't find much, but the Royal Gem SIL crosses got me to wondering.

Thanks for the info.

I was poking around and found this blog post by Frank Mitchell. It's about Dark Star, and is then followed the next day by a post on Native Dancer and how he changed the modern TB.

The blog posts are very interesting.
    http://fmitchell07.wordpress.com/201...hone/#comments

Thanks for those links. That issue as to type probaly speaks a lot to the concentration of those classic lines in successful sporthorse breeding - with less so the sprinter emphasis/conf.

Interesting, too, that both Bold Ruler (who you seem much more in sporthorse lines) and Native Dancer were from Discovery dams.

So has the biggest surviving MOW line. Intentionally has a Discovery dam.