The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ugh, please PLEASE help me decide...

I'll try and keep this short. I've been offered the rent on a GORGEOUS, brand new, all-the-bells-and-whistles 2-stall barn with walk-out paddocks, lovely arena, gorgeous tack room, seperate feed/hay room, hot/cold water wash rack and bathroom. It's also literally 5 minutes from work. The downside-- it'll be 100% self-care, which during the week doesn't bother me-- feed breakfast on my way to work, lunch and stalls on my lunch break, dinner and ride after work. The problem: the weekends. I live far enough away to make weekend chores difficult (I'd either have to spend all day there or go twice-- tough as I have a toddler and a newborn).

The price is also not super fantastic. It's good, but not a WHOLE lot less than I am paying now, when you factor in the cost of feed.

The place my mare is in now is badly run, has no arena to speak of (they've been "working on it" since I moved in 9 months ago), and also has no tack storage to speak of. I suspect my mare is not being fed enough, and she gets beat up quite a bit. On the plus side, they do have a lit, covered round pen that is good for light riding after dark, the price is very reasonable for full care, and the owners are SUPER nice and try very hard to accomodate my requests.

The original plan was that a friend of mine and I were going to go in together on the 2-stall place, and split the work (she was quite happy to do weekends). She bailed on me yesterday and now I don't know what to do. I can take the place on myself and advertise for another boarder, and take the risk that it might take a while to find someone else (all the while I am covering the cost of the whole place, and also doing all the work)... or I can leave my mare where she is and hope I find a nicer place. (For the record, I've been looking for a nice place near work in my price range, and haven't been able to find it.)

What would you do?? I'm totally frazzled. We just had a horrible, horrible death in the family this weekend so my ability to make decisions right now is down the toilet, but I only have until Wednesday to decide to take this place or it goes to the next person.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

Keep looking. I feel for you, running scenarios like this back and forth myself, but I don't have kids and would be hard pressed to either spend all day there on weekends or make two trips, if the mileage was alot.

There's something else out there, I can almost bet ya. Somewhere, someone has a good place with more care available, especially on the weekends.

Keep looking.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

First... I'm very sorry for your loss.

Considering the full picture, I'd say to stay where you are and keep looking.

I'd definitely deal with your horse getting beat up (assuming by other horses not people) and the feed issue but with two little ones, trying to take all of that on would be tough. I don't know how difficult it would be to get another border and would you trust a stranger the 100% that you'd have to for the first bit?

The devil you know versus the one you don't.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

You know, if you had someone else right a way to jump into the friends place, I'd say go ahead, but without the friend, back out. You can't do it al.one, and you needs security, not more uncertainty right now. That's my take.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I would keep looking. They say you have until Wednesday, and maybe that's true but it could also be that the next person doesn't take it either. You could let them know the conditions under which you would take the offer (lower rent to something you feel more comfortable with, and finding someone to board and/or help out on weekends after stipulating that you cannot be there for what are totally reasonable reasons) and you never know, they may come back to you in a month after not being able to find a tenant and say OK, you can have it under those terms.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Do you have to decide right away? You could also look into hiring someone to feed on weekends until you found another share boarder.

I would pass. Sounds like you are stressed about the decision and you don't need to be stressing right now. Stick with what you have and trust that a new opportunity will come up at a better time.

Pass, its worth it to me not to have to go everyday, besides it doesn't sound like a great deal $-wise. Even for FREE its a lot of time/stress. what if you are sick? what if its a blizzard? no thanks.

Unless you can afford to pay someone to do some of the weekend shifts, pass.

If the owners are "super nice" they need to help you with your concern about mare not being fed enough. and getting beat up. Don't rent your own place, you won't sleep well. Keep trying to get the current place to improve its care for your horse.

I don't know, if I could find someone to help on weekends, I'd do it! Of course, I've had a number of bad boarding places and just finished up 6 months of horses at home, which I loved.

As someone who in the past has driven twice a day to feed my horses I say pass. It's aggravating to always have in the back of your head on the weekends, "I have to go feed the horses at such and such a time" And it will be rain or shine, Christmas morning, Thanksgiving morning, your babies birthday morning....pass. If it were closer, within a mile or so, that might be different. You could make a quick run, but it sounds further away than that so I wouldn't do it.

I'd sooner be in a barn with people that would keep me motivated than solo in a small 2-stall place.