The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Dressage Tests--3 tests per level...

I've been doing a little research on the new dressage tests, hoping to start memorizing/practicing early. Anyway, one of the first things I noticed about the tests was that there are now 3 per level instead of 4.

Currently, I show Training 3 & 4 with the hope of moving up to first level next year. I'm wondering how this will affect what tests I show next season. Until now, I have ridden the two intro tests, then Training 1 & 2, then Training 3 & 4.

For me, grouping the tests in 2's worked out nicely because of the difference in the 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 tests and the simularities the pairs had to each other (plus, the shows I've gone to treat groups of 2 tests as a division for year end awards). Is this just me? Do other riders usually show all 4 in a level? Any ideas as to how the new tests ought to be grouped (pick 2? show all 3?)?
    Equito ergo sum.

In my experience at bigger and smaller shows alike, test 3 is the least ridden test of training through second level. Test two is right behind that. The smallest shows will only offer the odd tests on the first day and the even tests on the second and I think this is where tests 2 and 3 are ridden most, but most shows these days offer test one and four every day and 2 and 3 alternatively. Test 3 is generally not a high scoring test, but is not required like test 4 for awards, freestyle, ect so it is often avoided. I don't think it will change much and people that were previously riding 4 tests a weekend still will. Those new to the level or score chasing will do test one twice and those needing qualifying scores, prepping to move up, ect will do test 3 twice. Others will do only test one and 3 all season... I've known people who ride at 3rd and 4th and have never done test two .

Honestly I thinks its great. Less tests for me to memorize as a competitor and less paperwork for the show officials.

Dittos what flyracing said.

Fewer headaches and dead trees to produce tests that aren't often ridden.

I seldom rode Test 3 of any of the first three levels anyway, so I won't miss them a bit!

Above first level, most people I ride with only ride one test per day- so they generally ride the same test all the days of the show.

Below that, common options were Training 4 and First 1, and Training 4 and First 4. I know one woman who showed First 2 and First 4 all year (didn't like 3, and didn't care about riding qualifying in both levels).

I know plenty of people who have never shown the 2nd or 3rd test in a level. The only level I've ever shown the 2nd test at was Fourth (for the working pirouette).

Just read the tests and see what you like.

Personally, I liked the T/1/2 -3 tests. I thought that the T-4/1-1 combo was nice for horses to get their feet wet at first with a test that wasn't very different from training level. Tests 2/3 at first level were nice in combo since they were very similar, then test 4 added a bit more difficulty once you got 2/3 down. In Region 1, test 3 at T/1/2 are ridden quite a bit since they use those tests for our BLM regional championships. I'm assuming that they will now use test 2 for BLMs, with GAIGs using test 3 for their qualifier.

There are also a greater number of co-efficients and I believe that the riders score is broken out into two scores.

I think it will be more competitive- only 3 tests instead of 4. It will be more interesting too.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Personally, I like to move up one test at a time. For instance, show Intro A/B a couple of times, then Intro B/Training 1, then T1/T2, T2/T3 etc, so it doesn't really afftect my plans at all.

I like to do one familiar test when I'm doing a new one. I also like to see how my scores improve, so I like to do it this way as I get a few more scores to compare before moving out of a level.

I have always just picked out mine and my horse's favorite two test out of each level and concentrated on those. In Training it was T3 and T4. In first level it was 1-2 and 1-4. In second it is 2-2 and 2-3. I will do the same with only three test to choose from.

Except for.... in region 7 year end championships, the HOY rides the top two test at each level in trng - 4th levels. Once qualified, I focus on those two test exclusively. Region 7 also has an AA competition that a rider must qualify for. In that competition the top test is ridden for levels trng thrugh 4th. So there is some thought put into what test at each level I ride and when I ride them.

I really don't find the tests within each level to be that different. In first level, three out of the four tests all have a stretchy circle. Three out of the four have medium canter...etc. It is the combination of the elements and what order they appear in the test that helps me decide what test my mare and I excel at. Also, I generally do not like the first test at any level.

My horse is going to a show November 20/21. Will those be the old tests? When do the new tests take effect?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Default December first.....

The new tests go into effect December 1st, I show the following week so I have had my eye on when they take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Test 3 is generally not a high scoring test, but is not required like test 4 for awards, freestyle, ect so it is often avoided.
    I don't know where you get this from. In our GMO, the year end awards SPECIFICALLY say
    at least one must be from that level’s Test 3 and one must be from that level’s Test 4.
    Obviously we will have to change it for next year.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyanoel View Post
    The new tests go into effect December 1st, I show the following week so I have had my eye on when they take effect.
    The new tests may be used now, but are mandatory Dec 1. I would check your show premium or call and ask the show manager.

I experimentally have schooled the new TL tests, and maybe it's only me/my horse, but I found the supposedly "easier" Test 1 to be the most difficult of the three tests. Test 2 seems little changed from the old Test 2, and the changs to Test 4 are minor also. I'll probably skip Test 1 and do 2 and 3 for 2011, hoping to ease into 1st level by the end of the summer.

I was surprised at the complexity of 4th level test three. My young horse is now required to go from a rein back right into the canter work. It makes sense though, it sets the horse to be off the forehand to go into the canter.

He will be doing 4th level qualifier and Prix St. Georges qualifiers this year.

At least with this test (the only one I read) they seem harder than the 2007 version.

Quote Originally Posted by wbhorseusa View Post
    I was surprised at the complexity of 4th level test three. My young horse is now required to go from a rein back right into the canter work. It makes sense though, it sets the horse to be off the forehand to go into the canter.

He will be doing 4th level qualifier and Prix St. Georges qualifiers this year.

At least with this test (the only one I read) they seem harder than the 2007 version.
    The swing (rein back to canter) used to be in 4th level in the round before this, I believe.

I'm not sure its harder- just different. They pulled out the half-pirouette and 3-tempis this round. Now its just a working half pirouette and 4-tempis.

I actually liked 4 tests in training and first. many people do 1 and 3 on day 1, and then 2 and 4 on day 2 (if a two-day show). Even if one is riding the qualifying tests each day, it is nice to have a variety for the "second" test. Plus, it adds variety to people who mainly show at first and second level. So I am disappointed that there are only 3 classes per level.

They took out the half-pirouette and 3-tempis at fourth level test 3? What a shame. The point was that if you could perform 4-3 you could pull off PSG. I thought that was a good prep for FEI tests.

Any clue where I can find the new 2011 tests??? I have looked and can't seem to find them... Help?

Log in to your USEF account, then scroll down and click on the link to the 2007 tests.

I just see the 2007 tests there.

It looks like it finally got its own category. It's under other options, 2011 Dressage Test Score Sheets.