The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin-Off ~ Top Riders Who Own The Horse That Brought Them Fame

We were talking about how Edward Gal must feel losing Totilas and I commented that I have often wondered why the dressage trainers/riders don't buy these horses themselves. Obviously when they get to be at the level/value Toto is now, it's not practical, but Gal said "the first time" he sat on T. he knew he was special. Well, I wonder why he didn't buy him then, or at least half-ownership. His services can't be cheap either, and I'm sure Moorland has many horses that need training, so I can't imagine some sort of deal couldn't have been worked out.

But it seems it's rare for top riders to own the horses that take them to the top.

Why? And can you think of any riders who DID own their champions?

Hilda Gurny and Keen come to mind fairly easily.

Lendon Grey & Seldom Seen. But both of these were never going to high $$ breeding stallions.

What about Scott Hassler? He seems to own Rousseau and several other top stallions and he isn't even a world-class rider (in terms of global competition).

Nichol Uphoff owned Rembrandt, right? What about Klimke -- did he own Alhreich?

Mostly because it's obscenely expensive to compete/campaign those horses. Well, any horse really. It's much more convenient to have someone else paying all the bills, regardless of the fact that the horse could be snatched out from under you at any time.

Seldom Seen was owned by Peg Whitehurst.

It's not just the purchase price that keeps riders from owning, but the ongoing expenses. An owner helps with that.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Leslie Morse owned Kingston and owns Tip Top

Rousseau is, I believe, owned by Harmony Sporthorses.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Tina Konyot owns colecto?

Adelinde is half owner of Parzival.

Madeline Austin is breeder and owner of Olivier

Sue Jacoma owns Wadamur

How about Heather Blitz, I think she was part owner of Otto

Leslie Morse I believe owns Tip Top and Kingston(godspeed)

Pierre St Jacques owns Lucky Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    This is a jumper, but Eric Lamaze is half-owner of Hickstead.

Evie Strasser owns her top stallion, Any Tyme, that she showed at Grand Prix. She also owns all of her current horses, Foto Tyme, Andiamo Tyme, and not the least of which is Quantum Tyme, just to name a few as she has at least 10 on the go currently.

Debbie McDonald owns Brentina - purchased her in Germany, currently in foal to Totilas.

Hilda Gurney owned Keene, Olympic medalist.
    Debbie McDonald does not own Brentina. Perry and Peggy Thomas own Brentina.

I wonder if owning your own horse at that level creates a kind of conflict of interest that may make the rider less attractive to owners looking for someone to show their horse. I imagine at that level, owners want someone 100% dedicated to their horses.

I imagine that in some cases, it comes in part as luck when a rider makes it big on their own horse; they were lucky enough that the one horse they put their time, effort and money into managed to hold up to training and to not hurt itself in the process. To ensure you have a high level of horse though, I imagine most trainers/riders would have to start with a few candidates...and that isn't cheap.

Don't the Thomas's own Brentina?

I just read a published article that stated that Debbie and her husband had gone over to Germany and purchased Brentina. Perhaps the article misstated and meant to say they had gone over for a buying trip on behalf of Parry and Peggy Thomas.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Well, they probably did... With someone elses money. Just as much fun, maybe more!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Lendon Grey & Seldom Seen. But both of these were never going to high $$ breeding stallions.

What about Scott Hassler? He seems to own Rousseau and several other top stallions and he isn't even a world-class rider (in terms of global competition).
    As pointed out by Poltroon, Seldom Seen was owned by Peg Whitehurst.

Hassler Dressage stands stallions owned by other people. Rousseau, Davidoff Hit, Locksley I, and Wamberto are owned by John and Leslie Malone of Harmony Sporthorses. Lingh and Hexagon's Louisville are owned by Karin Offeld. Rosall is owned by Wendy Costello.

As others have said, it is enormously expensive to own and compete a top horse. I think most trainers would rather have someone else write the checks for all expenses. The trade-off is the trainer gets to ride the horse and perhaps make a name for themselves, and put money in their pocket in the meantime, even though they know the horse could be sold out from under them.

I do believe though that Jane Hannigan owns Max (although she has been trying to sell him). I also think that Tami Crawford owned Dakota. What about Catherine Haddad? Doesn't she own some of her top horses?

In Germany, Wolfram and Brigitte Wittrig own many of their of their top horses.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I do believe though that Jane Hannigan owns Max (although she has been trying to sell him). I also think that Tami Crawford owned Dakota. What about Catherine Haddad? Doesn't she own some of her top horses?

In Germany, Wolfram and Brigitte Wittrig own many of their of their top horses.

I believe Catherine owns W, not sure about Cadillac, but the impression I got was that she owns him, too. She not only owns, but actually chose the matches to breed some of her youngsters - see her latest blog on this site.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

So let's give some credit to the behind-the-scenes connections who support the horses in sport. Instead of saying "poor Edward" say lucky man who got backed by these people and rode such a lovely horse. Breeding is expensive and time consuming leaving little time for the actual showing of the exceptional ones who are internationaL caliber.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Shawna Harding owns Come On III. She purchased him as a 6-year old in Denmark after a year in training with her as a sales horse. Nobody else wanted him, but she saw a horse with heart.

Jane Hannigan bought Maksymilian
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

Anky's father bought her Bonfire

Anky bought into Salinero to be sure she wouldn't loose him. I even think she is his owner now. She had a part in Painted Black who is now sold anyway..

After Imke Schellekens Bartels lost Lancet to England she bought into a few horses so she at least had a bit of a say about her horses.

It's tough losing a horse you bonded and worked with for years to another competitor.

Edward already lost Lingh too a few years back, I think it doesn't get easier..
    Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.

Fargo, your post reminds me that Imke recently lost Voice to Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by caddym View Post
    Fargo, your post reminds me that Imke recently lost Voice to Edward.
    And Ziesto who was meant to come to Imke (or so it says on their site) is also sold to Austria..
    Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.