The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Decomp smell on all my shoes--help!!

So. I have 6 cats (and, thankfully, one DH so I avoid the "crazy cat lady" label). One of them (that's you, Possum!) deposited a dead mouse in the closet amongst my shoes. I found it this morning, while fumbling in the dark for said shoes for work. Ick. This poor rodent was clearly left for dead several days ago. Did I mention ick? I smelled it before I touched it, thank god.

I removed it and finished getting dressed.

At work, I smelled something...dead. Weird coincidence! Uh, no, that would be the sickening smell of mousey decomp emanating from my black leather loafers I can't go home and change, so as soon as my class schedule allows, I'll head to the main office and spritz them with something floral to make me less nauseous.

How do you get the smell out of shoes? I'm sure the other shoes in the closet are a bit reeky.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Ugh! Your biggest problem is that everything in your closet is going to have that eau de death to a varying degree. I'd air the shoes and maybe use some Febreeze spray, and air the heck out of that closet. Use a fan if necessary.

I've been blessed that the little meecy mice presents we get are usually mummified behind the furniture and get found once a year during Spring cleaning. Our cats must love us, right?

ETA you can clean your leather shoes, too. Just like your tall boots.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Get thee to Sam's Club for a bottle of Odo-Ban. Spray liberally
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I would clean the leather shoes, and sprinkle the insides with baking soda. Sprinkle the the cloth or suede ones inside and out with baking soda, on some newspaper to catch the excess. Let sit approx 24 hrs, smell should be gone.

Good luck, and I would keep the closet closed from now on!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

One of the cats loves to sleep in the closet, so she bangs on the doors, repeatedly, if she's locked out. DH just gives in, and slides it open a bit for her. Somehow, Possum Kitty decided that would be a lovely place to store a big, fat, juicy Vole for later play. Which he promptly forgot about. He never goes in there! And the closet cat rarely hunts--and when she does, she dines noisily on her catch.

I like the baking soda idea, and I have some industrial strength "air cleanser" from a janitorial supply, so I'll use that once I get home. I have a farrier appointment first, so the stench will have to wait a bit longer than I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I would clean the leather shoes, and sprinkle the insides with baking soda. Sprinkle the the cloth or suede ones inside and out with baking soda, on some newspaper to catch the excess. Let sit approx 24 hrs, smell should be gone.
    I add: enclose the shoes in a paper bag for the destinking procedure.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

BAKING SODA.

I'm serious. I had my guest room be the unfortunate victim of a stressed canine's (my neurotic Border Collie) intestinal errrrr...explosion. It was so horrible I seriously considered ripping out the carpet. I was using my little Green Machine with pet-specific stuff, something else in a spray can that does enzyme work (Nature's Miracle I think? W/ Oxy), in addition to wiping down walls and washing the bed skirt. It was like a diarrhea nightmare.

And still the smell lived on.

Friend said to put a pan of baking soda in there to absorb the smell. Screw that I said, and liberally sprinkled the baking soda I liberated from the freezer directly on the carpet. Vacuumed the next day, smell GONE.

Never to return.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Sliced granny smith apples on a paper plate work really well too. I don't know why, but they seem to absorb pretty much any nasty smell. Works for getting that nasty cigarette smell out of cars too .

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Get thee to Sam's Club for a bottle of Odo-Ban. Spray liberally
    Yep. And put the shoes outside in the sun.

Nature's Miracle isn't what it used to be (the name and packaging was sold, but not the formula). Petastic is the old NM and will kill just about any stink. Zero-Odor is also very good.

And yes, put everything out in the sun.

Good luck!

What someone else said...sprinkle with baking soda and stuff with newspaper. Let sit for a couple of days.

Nothing useful to add, I think everyone else has it covered but I am giggling thinking of your students this a.m. "Psst..does Ms Calvincrowe smell like...I don't know...something dead?" "Dude, that is seriously messed up".

I second Chocomare and Laurierace. Odoban is the only thing I've found that actually works.

Smile anti icky poo

I've had my dog trainer and vet both suggest anti-icky poo
    http://www.antiickypoo.com

I have a puppy and eight cats working out the new world order for the house and barn. I don't have rugs down during the territorial wars, but it has been umm... interesting,... including shoes..

Mozart! So funny you posted that--my TA, a dear, sweet young lady, did indeed comment on the pungent odor emanating from beneath my desk. I was forced to explain. She chose to work across the room.

The good news? All my shoes are now free of Eau de Dead Mouse. I swear my cat was giggling as I doused the room in baking soda and scrubbed the shoes closest to the crime scene.

You know all those CSI shows? What we need is smellovision, so people get the full effect of nasty, dead things. Then maybe people wouldn't be so gung ho on killing in video games and what not.

Ok, smell of decomp on shoes, accompanied by sinister smiling and eeeviil laughter for no reason - students and coworkers will fear you - enjoy the power LOL.

Yea, baking soda, works great. Sunshine and fresh air, also good.
    Just remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

Just hide the trash bags, duct tape and rope.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!