The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default green prefab/modular barns?

I was wondering if there are any prefab/modular barn manufacturers that produce barns made from green, sustainable materials. We love our native pine barns, but they take SO long to build! We're going to need a run in for my ponies and new barn for my male alpacas next year.

I don't know your location, but I imagine that any of the barns that you buy from the Amish-type companies are just about as green as you're going to get while still talking about something made of wood.

Or start now and have someone build you some sheds/barns from reclaimed lumber.
    Well isn't this dandy?

I'm in Maine. The 2 barns I have are made from native pine. I love them, but they took a year and a half to build. I don't have that kind of time to build another barn, since my boys are going to outgrow their current barn this year.

http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com

This company is located in Vermont, and use all native lumber sawn at local mills. They are kits, so you would either have to have the basic knowledge to put them together or hire someone who does, but they are very easy. I don't have one myself, but I know people who do and who are very happy with them. Plus, the prices are very reasonable, for semi-pre-built kits.

Their basic 10x14 Run in Shed is just $2k on sale right now. And they have different ones, and even full size 20x30 barns.
    http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/downloads/JCSsale.pdf
    Well isn't this dandy?

Another vote for Jamaica Cottage Shop. I've had one of their run-ins for ten years and it is still in great shape. They are post and beam construction so they are very solid. Here's a picture: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...m/100_0746.jpg