The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite winter cardio workouts?

How do you all in the north (without indoors) keep riding fit when riding is sporadic? I am an active person (manage a 60 acre farm), but winter limits my outdoor running, and at the moment, I don't have a gym membership. I'm hoping to find a yoga/pilates studio in my new area that I can hook up with, but what about cardio fitness? I hike with my dog around the farm in addition to walking to/from 18 turnout routes, but it doesn't really elevate my heart rate. I also live in a tiny studio on the farm, so aerobics videos in the house might prove too challenging? I've been thinking of doing sprints up and down the barn aisle, but I'm afraid the boarders/horses will think I've lost my mind!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    I've been thinking of doing sprints up and down the barn aisle, but I'm afraid the boarders/horses will think I've lost my mind!
    Go for it! But first, set up a video camera to see what the boarders and the horses say and/or do.

My sister tried on new boots at a local shoe store, and since she needs them to show our gelding "In Hand" on the triangle, she sprinted up and down in the store. Clerks and customers both kept looking up with this puzzled WTH? expression.

On a serious note - do you have stairs? Going up and down stairs can do a lot for you.

Jump rope.
    Start walking, stop and jump rope for, say, 15 seconds, then walk, two minutes, jump again, working up to longer times.
    Try to jump light and/or on something springy, not concrete.

Also, get a ball and throw it around, maybe against a wall and try to catch it back, time and again and you will see how fast that will wind you.
    Smaller balls you can whack with your hand, bigger ones catch and throw again, maybe thru a make believe hoop.

look into Tabata workouts - you do intense workout for 20 seconds and rest for 10, repeat for 4 minutes (8 rounds) . it will kick you hiney. you can do this with anything - running, jump rope, squats, digging ditches - anything that is high intensity all out effort.

jump rope is good too but you need to really get your heart rate up. try doing dbl unders.

you can look into cross-fit and follow the workouts from home. i do x-fit at a gym and holy cow. hardest.workouts.ever. (our warmups are harder than i have ever worked out before!)

ETA: you can do "Wall Ball" if you have a medicine ball of some weight (8lbs? ) you toss the ball up as high as you can against the wall and as it comes down you squat. there is video of it on the cross fit website. i just did a workout of 150 wall balls... i used 8lbs, and managed to do it in i think 8 or 9 minutes. kicked my you know what.

sorry, ETA 2 - look in the eventing forum there is a good thread about working out there.

You could check into taking a spinning class, or see if you could find a used (read: cheap) exercise bike to buy. It'll get your heart rate up!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

learn how to long line your horse and work on those skills. Following behind your horse while working on things in hand and on the long lines can get your heart pumping and build a different kind of relationship with your horse.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Shovel a path through the snow from the house to the barn. Use same shovel to dig out the gates so you can put horses out. Beat ice out of buckets to develop more upper body strength. Chase loose horse through deep snow waving halter in improve leg tone and range of motion... ummm.. I'm sure there are more......
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Default One Word....

Burpees

I have a stationary bike. Cross-country skiing is also terrific exercise and I like to bring my dog along.

P90X

I second x-country skiing + walking through deep snow turning horses in and out

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    Burpees
    omg. the first time i did burpees in a workout it called for 70 of them. in.a.row.

and we do them all the way to full push up position (chest to floor)

Get the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video and do it at home. It's amazing and only takes 30 minutes. I also like her "no more trouble zones" DVD.

Default Seconding this!

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    Get the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video and do it at home. It's amazing and only takes 30 minutes. I also like her "no more trouble zones" DVD.
    You can get this for usually less than $10.00 at Walmart...

My fave is the 30 Day Shred.

I was thinking of getting Jackie Warner's 20 min interval training workout videos, the only problem is I'm not sure my new place will be big enough. Once I get in and settled, I'll know more.

The Tabata workouts might be just the ticket, I could do the jump rope, it really gets my heart pumping!

And yes, there will be slogging through the snow with the horses, breaking buckets, shoveling around gates, etc. But I like to keep some form of intentional exercise in my routine, helps my brain. Plus, I need to keep my core working overtime. That's my trouble area, and I need to keep it really strong to be able to sit any kind of big moving trot.
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

for your core you can do tuck ups, hollow rocks, or good old sit-ups (least effective) and do them tabata style. definitely will do the job!

if you need to know what any of those are you can do a google search or just search on cross-fit.com

Jump rope, jumping jacks, high-knees (jog in place, raising your knees as high as you can), steps - just up/down as fast as you can on a step or small stool.

Any of these will get your heart rate to the same or higher than running and only need a small space.

http://www.bodyrock.tv
    It's like a variation of P90X, except its free.
    I've gone from size 14 to size 10 since doing this program since last fall. But I've fallen of the train since my vacation in Sept. She has a lot of variations for beginners. So don't be too scared when you see her go full tilt.