The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vet & Chiro recommendations around Fort Collins, CO

My mom recently moved down to Fort Collins and is looking for a vet and chiro. She's been using the vet/chiro that most people at her barn use, but she hasn't been particularly impressed with them.

She's had her gelding for about 5 years and he's always been very sound. For the first time, he is having some issues and has's been NQR for a few weeks. She's anxious to find a good chiro and vet to come check him out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Don't have a recommendation for a vet (although Colorado State University is located in Fort Collins and they have a great vet school).

My vet when we lived in Colorado recommended Dr. David McClain for chiropractic who is/was located in Loveland. We lived on the south side of Denver but Dr. McClain made the rounds in the Parker area one day a week. He was spot on with my horse's problems, horse loved to see him
    pull in--he also spotted a problem with a knee and asked my vet to x-ray.
    Yep, x-ray showed a lot of arthritis although horse had not been lame. We ended his jumping days after that.

If you do a search for David H McClain and chiropractor, his phone number turns up. Good luck.

Dr. Tim Holt is a wonderful chiro. Never used his vet skills, so can't comment. Working part time in the CSU hospital, although he travels and does some other stuff. Consider yourself lucky if you can get him to work on your horse. I am skeptical and have fired a lot of care professionals, but this guy produces good results. He can make a big difference in just one treatment. Sure wish I had could use him now. Tell him I said hi.

We agree with Katy. Hi Katy !
    Dr. Holt isn't easy to a hold of. I've heard texting is the best way
    We and many of our clients use Dr. Allen Landis. He also does teeth and is very good at that. You are welcome to contact me privately if you'd like more info.
    Lynn

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

We've heard really mixed reviews from people who have gone to the CSU vet hospital- does anyone have any experience with them?

CSU is very expensive. They did do an excellent job on a horse of ours that had a severe injury to his hind leg that required surgery. He completey recovered.

Another horse had a twisted intestine and I wanted him euthanized asap ( surgery was out of the question though they suggested it ) as he was older and in severe pain. It took waaay too long. Horrible. Big bill for a too many hours of misery for both me and my wonderful friend.
    IMHO, avoid unless you have no other choice. Don't go there for routine care, for sure. If you do use them for anything, prepare to spend lots of money

For major vet work, go to Littleton Large Animal in Littleton (south Denver area). Littleton Large Animal only does horses, and may have changed name recently. Highly, highly recommend them.

I live in North Fort Collins and travel through Denver to get to the Littleton Clinic.

The chiro/acupuncturist I used was Dr. Pam Muhonen. She is a DVM but no longer does normal vet work. She is awesome!

For vet, I used Dr. Kerri Belsito. I loved her!

PM if you want any phone numbers.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

CSU is right in line with prices with other vets. They have great chiro care there as others have said.

I used CSU a lot in the past. They are rarely right about anything - actually *never* right I think. I have absolutely no confidence in them. As for billing, it's not about their being high priced for the services they provide, it's about the fairness of the billing process and how that impacts the care.
    There was a change in the billing a few years ago when they were required to generate a significant amount of additional income.

CSU is regarded as one of the top equine hospitals in the US. Sorry you had a bad experiance, I have had all good ones and so have a lot of people.

If your willing to separate your chiro/vet, I highly recommend Dr. Deb Gilbertson out of Wellington. She is newer to the area and phenomenal. She's cheaper than CSU too

This is a wonderful area, particularly for horse people. I hope your Mom finds it every bit as wonderful as we have

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    CSU is regarded as one of the top equine hospitals in the US. Sorry you had a bad experiance, I have had all good ones and so have a lot of people.
    Yes, but the dirty little secret is that its the small animal clinic that gets it that high rating. I worked in the CSU Vet Hospital mucking stalls for over a year. I personal would steer clear and use a local vet and if you need big stuff Littleton Large. Of course in a true colic emergency, the closest hospital is the best.

Not saying there is anything terrible wrong there, but I have to agree that what I saw was a bit lacking in the Equine department.

For small animals, I would definitely use them.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Actually it is rated as one of the best EQUINE hospitals in the US.

Source?

It's considered one of the best equine RESEARCH hospitals in the U.S., there's a pretty big difference. I personally don't think it can compete with clinics like Rood and Riddle or even New Bolten (also a university hospital) although they do have fun toys at CSU! But that's just personal opinion as far as I know there's no ranking system of equine clinics. There is a vet school ranking system but that's based on research money pretty much exclusively.

I worked in the Equine Research Center over there for years and have nothing bad to say about it or the doctors I worked with (very, very good at what they do) but several friends with horses had bad experiences at the equine clinic. I think that's true of any hospital though. No clinic is universally loved or perfect.

I enjoyed my time in Fort Collins quite a bit but chose to not even apply to CSU's vet school for a multitude of reasons. Not the right program for me as a student and I think their program can clash a bit with clients and patients as well. I think the key (and it's the same at my vet school!) is to know which doctors are great at which service so you don't waste your time on consult after consult.

Melissa Culver for small animals. She is great and worth the drive to the office between Longmont and Loveland on Hwy 285. Many of her patients come from Wyoming and all over northern Colorado. Her husband, Vernon Culver, is a very good horse vet.

I use them both and have for many years.

Thanks for the suggestions!