The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Movies and Martingales

Excuse me if this has been discussed, I didn't really search around.

Last night, me and Mom went to see Secretariat. I thought it was an OK movie (it was Disney, after all) but the main thing I noticed was how he was wearing a martingale in the fog scene. It looked like a standing.

This movie isn't the only racing movie I've seen martingales used in. In "Dreamer" a lot of racers were wearing them too, which makes me wonder if the not-racehorses used for filming got very excited at the high speeds and needed the martingales, for the sake of the film. Whereas in real life, I know that wearing a martingale is not only unallowed, you'd get laughed off the track.

It wouldn't surprise me, though, because the people who watch these are usually not hardcore horse fanatics and wouldn't really notice stuff like that. So maybe it's just me being nitpicky.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

I've seen horses wearing them at the track, but maybe just for training and not for actual races.
    I think they are called training forks, not martingales...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

It's actually called a yoke (the part around the neck with a strap between the legs with the girth run through it), and rings (the triangle with with two rings and a snap)... some also call it a bib.

Used in the am on most horses, the rings are unsnapped and removed for workouts. Horses are never raced in this equipment, but trainers will sometimes use a breaking strap (just a leather strap around the neck) during the afternoons for racing, or a breastplate.

I havent seen the movie yet, so cannot comment on what was used!

Haven't seen a standing martingale on the track (that's one strap to a nose piece, not the forked strap with rings for the reins to pass through)

But martingales and like devices are very common in the morning - maybe half the horses have some sort of martingale on. Most common is what show people call a "running" martingale, but it's usually all one strap, very strong (nylon probably) and the forks to the rings are shorter than ones used in the show world.

You will also see draw reins and German martingales (sort of a combo of running m & draw reins) and sometimes designs I can't even name but that the trainer has figured out as a way to keep this horse in control during morning gallops.

But I agree I haven't seen standing martingales (one strap to noseband), except on pony horses or outrider horses.

So, was the martingale used in the movie reallly a standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Haven't seen a standing martingale on the track (that's one strap to a nose piece, not the forked strap with rings for the reins to pass through)

But martingales and like devices are very common in the morning - maybe half the horses have some sort of martingale on. Most common is what show people call a "running" martingale, but it's usually all one strap, very strong (nylon probably) and the forks to the rings are shorter than ones used in the show world.

You will also see draw reins and German martingales (sort of a combo of running m & draw reins) and sometimes designs I can't even name but that the trainer has figured out as a way to keep this horse in control during morning gallops.

But I agree I haven't seen standing martingales (one strap to noseband), except on pony horses or outrider horses.

So, was the martingale used in the movie reallly a standing?
    Yes, I know the difference between a running/standing martingale and I'm almost positive this was a standing. I'll try to go get a snapshot from the trailer.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k...ll888/lala.jpg

Although...now that I'm looking at it...I think it IS a running. You're right. In the fog I couldn't really see clearly, but now that it's a screenshot it's easier.

Thank you! ^^
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

We have used standing martingales before on certain horses. They are called tie-downs at the track, though. Sometimes used on rearers or head flippers, although in all honesty they can still both both with them on if they want to.

The pic looks like a yoke with rings, running martingales are one peice, the yoke has a ring where the neck peice meets on the chest, then the reins are run through the rings, and the rings or bib is clipped on to the ring on the yoke.

http://www.pinkstons.com/media/8/a20...1d069251_s.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=20&ty=32

When using the yoke only, or using the yoke when the bib attatchement is also snapped in place, the yoke is also called "the chicken strap". That is because if the rider is chicken, they are hanging onto it. I laughed sooooo hard when that name was given to me, but... it's true. Especially with very green horses, who may be overly sensitive about being touched on the neck by the rider, the chicken strap is quite useful

Ahhh, it's not just for riders that are "chicken"... you would be surprised how many good riders slip a finger around it for a little extra security!

Years ago I galloped for C. Hadry (Private Terms)... he never had enough yokes to go around, it was brutal when the 2 yr olds came in.